1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass - Consumer Reviews

1997 Cutlass Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass model:

Sort Reviews by

My Last GM car after after 6 Oldsmobiles
By jmjaym

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I was excited when this car came out because it had a lot of nice features on it. I had it for 10 years and was satisfied for most of the time. The big complaint I have is that the head gasket went at 80,000 miles and it would have cost more to fix than the car was worth at that time. I enjoyed driving it and would have kept it a lot longer but it was cost prohibitive. For my next car I went with a 2007 Hyundai Sonata which I still have and am very satisfied with.

Favorite Features

Loaded with options, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Line is now defunct so there is no point although the Malibu is a corporate cousin so I'd just say better improve the engine quality.

Olds Cutlass
By Sean

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used in 2005. Great ride, very comfortable. But, the intake manifold has been a huge problem. GM should have spent a little more time on making quality not quantity. Great car with a lot of potential. But, it is in the shop constantly.

Favorite Features

Handling, engine performance (when working), and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold and other mechanical problems.

Great car, few troubles
By Good car Handle well

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My 3rd cousin sells it to me at 114k miles, up to 150k miles. Since I bought this car for my wife's birthday, she was very happy with the car. Once I drove this it was very good, smooth ride, great handling, compared to Honda Accord. Once made a trip from New york to Georgia, with car filled with suitcases, boxes, gas mileage was very awesome, got 35 mpg with cruise control. Power was great. Need improvement quality of leather. Seats cracking and back seat comes apart.

Favorite Features

Handles, smooth ride. Great gas mileage on long trips. Folding back seats. Remote, fog lights, instrument layout

Suggested Improvements

Better quality of leather for seats to last long, tends to crack from heat. Better type of gasket for engine. Transmission dipstick (since I work on cars I know about it) Better quality headlights cover, tends to fade. Stronger type lower control arms.

good car excellent handling!
By eagle2004dw

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I got my Oldsmobile Cutlass from a friend. I had to get it because of my new baby. When I first drove it, the handling was solid. It had senstive steering, good power. I'm not sure what the fuel ecomony is like yet. When I got it the check engine lightwas on. Two thousand miles later, after losing coolant, I had it fixed with a new waterpump and cap. I talked to dealer, this is a common problem with this car is intake gasket leaking, dealer reapirs once only $700, one time but if you have own mechanic will cost less, otherwise it is a great, reliable car. It has a smooth ride with new tires.

Favorite Features

Cup holder on driver's side. Great visiablity. Excllent back seat that flips for more cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

OEM performance kits. Better headlights, they tense to fade out, but cleaned out with polish.

NOTHING LIKE IT
By HARLEYWOOD51

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

THE RIDE IS SMOOTH. THERE IS A LITTLE ROAD NOISE. THE INSIDE LOOKS EXSPENSIVE AT A LOW PRICE. IT HAS GREAT GITTY UP AND GO. IT SEATS 5 COMFORTABLY AND THE FUEL ECONONOMY IS GREAT.

Favorite Features

MY FAVORITE FEATURE IS THE SOUND SYSTEM. IT IS CLEAR AND CRISP. IT LOOKS LIKE A SPORTS CAR FOR THE FAMILY MAN WHO CAN'T GET ONE AND STILL GET THE FAMILY IN.

Suggested Improvements

IF THEY WERE STILL MAKING THEM, 16" ALLOY WHEELS.

Check out a Cutlass
By Cutlass_Fan

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought car used with 60000 miles, put another 27000 on before totalling in an accident. Body cage does its job, as I wasn't injured at all when car was totalled. Never had the car in the shop except for regular oil changes. This car was very reliable! Standard 3.1L V6 provides a lot of power for a car this size; acceleration and passing are a breeze. I'm so mad that someone hit me and totalled the car, as it is impossible to find another Cutlass GLS loaded for the $$ insurance will give me. No one wants to sell theirs it seems. The Cutlass and Chevy Malibu twin are a great value for the money in the midsize class.

Favorite Features

Power moonroof/sunroof! Seats are very comfy. All 4 cupholders are sized well. 3.1L V6 standard. Conservative yet contemporary styling. Split fold-down rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad resale value isn't better. Visor extenders and/or dual visors on each side would be nice. Left front cupholder is unstable and in a bad position.

It will be a classic
By ivyeg

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This car called out to me like a siren. I was looking for another Prizm Lsi but got no further than this. It offered everything at the expense of nothing.Performance did not disappoint. If it did not perform at least as well as my Geo I was not going to give it another second of thought. It blew the Prizm out of the water.

Favorite Features

The clincher was when I opened the door to leave but sat back down and closed the door and the interior light came on and slowly dimmed. A feature was not aware of. The keyless trunk entry sold my wife. She was thinking about the grocery shopping.

Suggested Improvements

No need, it's discontinued. I couldn't think of any.

This Isn't your daddy's Olds
By The General

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Great car, well worth the selling price. The 3.1 v6(160 hp at the wheels) is silky smooth begging you to take a visit to the redline. Cornering is very precise. There is a little body roll in hard cornering, a small price to pay for the excellent ride quality(even up over 100 mph).The transaxle shifts quickly and transparently.The car accelerates to 60 in 8.5 second, 8.0 with performance tires. All while averaging about 23-25 mpg in mixed driving(with a heavy foot). The interior quality is excellent overall but the radio bezel looks a bit cheap. On the other hand you won't find leather more comfortable on anything less than 40K.

Favorite Features

Engine smoothness,low end torque. Acceleration. Fuel economy is astounding. Cornering ability. Reliability(the only problem I have had was caused & fixed by the dealership.)

Suggested Improvements

The radio bezel is kind of cheap looking for a luxury car. The gaugeset could use a stylish cover-plate.

My last GM car for awhile!
By RDM

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

During the first 2 years of ownership I rarely had to wash the car because it was back for repairs so often, that the dealer kept it clean. After replacing struts, rack and pinion, power steering pump, disc brake rotors, plus many other ongoing problem; I am now looking forward to replacing this very undesirable car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to drive, automatic lights on.

Suggested Improvements

Build more quality and reliability into the car.

Car Review
By jru

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Had some initial problems wtih the car that was covered by the dealer. Items such as ignition switch and valve cover gasket were the only problems.