Used 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass - Consumer Reviews

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass

View reviews for a specific Cutlass model:

My Last GM car after after 6 Oldsmobiles
By jmjaym

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

I was excited when this car came out because it had a lot of nice features on it. I had it for 10 years and was satisfied for most of the time. The big complaint I have is that the head gasket went at 80,000 miles and it would have cost more to fix than the car was worth at that time. I enjoyed driving it and would have kept it a lot longer but it was cost prohibitive. For my next car I went with a 2007 Hyundai Sonata which I still have and am very satisfied with.

Loaded with options, leather seats.

Line is now defunct so there is no point although the Malibu is a corporate cousin so I'd just say better improve the engine quality.

Great car, few troubles
By Good car Handle well

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

My 3rd cousin sells it to me at 114k miles, up to 150k miles. Since I bought this car for my wife's birthday, she was very happy with the car. Once I drove this it was very good, smooth ride, great handling, compared to Honda Accord. Once made a trip from New york to Georgia, with car filled with suitcases, boxes, gas mileage was very awesome, got 35 mpg with cruise control. Power was great. Need improvement quality of leather. Seats cracking and back seat comes apart.

Handles, smooth ride. Great gas mileage on long trips. Folding back seats. Remote, fog lights, instrument layout

Better quality of leather for seats to last long, tends to crack from heat. Better type of gasket for engine. Transmission dipstick (since I work on cars I know about it) Better quality headlights cover, tends to fade. Stronger type lower control arms.

good car excellent handling!
By eagle2004dw

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass GLS 4dr Sedan

I got my Oldsmobile Cutlass from a friend. I had to get it because of my new baby. When I first drove it, the handling was solid. It had senstive steering, good power. I'm not sure what the fuel ecomony is like yet. When I got it the check engine lightwas on. Two thousand miles later, after losing coolant, I had it fixed with a new waterpump and cap. I talked to dealer, this is a common problem with this car is intake gasket leaking, dealer reapirs once only $700, one time but if you have own mechanic will cost less, otherwise it is a great, reliable car. It has a smooth ride with new tires.

Cup holder on driver's side. Great visiablity. Excllent back seat that flips for more cargo room.

OEM performance kits. Better headlights, they tense to fade out, but cleaned out with polish.

NOTHING LIKE IT
By HARLEYWOOD51

THE RIDE IS SMOOTH. THERE IS A LITTLE
ROAD NOISE. THE INSIDE LOOKS EXSPENSIVE
AT A LOW PRICE. IT HAS GREAT GITTY UP
AND GO. IT SEATS 5 COMFORTABLY AND THE
FUEL ECONONOMY IS GREAT.

MY FAVORITE FEATURE IS THE SOUND SYSTEM. IT IS CLEAR AND CRISP. IT LOOKS LIKE A SPORTS CAR FOR THE FAMILY MAN WHO CAN'T GET ONE AND STILL GET THE FAMILY IN.

IF THEY WERE STILL MAKING THEM, 16" ALLOY WHEELS.

Check out a Cutlass
By Cutlass_Fan

Bought car used with 60000 miles,
put another 27000 on before totalling
in an accident. Body cage does its
job, as I wasn't injured at all when
car was totalled. Never had the car
in the shop except for regular oil
changes. This car was very reliable!
Standard 3.1L V6 provides a lot of
power for a car this size; acceleration
and passing are a breeze. I'm so
mad that someone hit me and
totalled the car, as it is impossible to
find another Cutlass GLS loaded for
the $$ insurance will give me. No
one wants to sell theirs it seems.
The Cutlass and Chevy Malibu twin
are a great value for the money in the
midsize class.

Power moonroof/sunroof! Seats are very comfy. All 4 cupholders are sized well. 3.1L V6 standard. Conservative yet contemporary styling. Split fold-down rear seats.

Too bad resale value isn't better. Visor extenders and/or dual visors on each side would be nice. Left front cupholder is unstable and in a bad position.