Used 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:

Good car.
By Griffin

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought a fully-loaded 4-door, complete with leather, digital climate control, and CD player. The car has been a good performer, but is plagued by little issues that accompany the '88-'97 GM midsize cars. Build quality could be better. All the cars have the same problems: bad alternators, transmissions, and poorly- designed electrical systems. The only problem I've had is the alternator went out at 103k. The car is very comfortable on longer trips and drives nicely.

Excellent brakes, steering wheel controls, contoured leather seats, great sound system, attractive instrument cluster, good torque response

Better overall quality, more horsepower.

97 Cutlass Supreme - Great Car
By KR

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this vehicle for 6 years and have experienced no major problems whatsoever, only routine maintenance and tire replacement. It is a lighter car with front wheel drive so it likes to slide on icy roads, but its fine as long as you forgo quick stops in the wintertime.

Front bucket seats are quite comfy.

Solid car
By Griffin

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 96,000 miles. I have had only one serious problem with it, and it was the head gaskets. It was mostly my fault, however. The car is plauged by little issues that face all 1st generation W-bodies. Nothing major. I have had no problems with any electronics, suspension, or brakes. I would definately buy another one! The 3100 is great off the line, but a little sluggish in the passing department. Mine has leather, CD, and all the options. Very comfortable and smooth.

Contoured leather seats, good handling, good brakes, simple, reliable engine, excellent stereo!

Tighter turning radius, better engine gaskets, more power, better designed electrical system.

Fun to drive, for FWD
By Joe

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Even though these cars are front wheel drive, they are entertaining to drive. I have done minor upgrades to mine, in the brake and tire department. Mine has been totalled...twice, and still only a few minor squeaks and rattles. Nothing I can't deal with. The 3100 V6 is anemic, though. An L67 transplant should fix that! Reliability has been stellar, minus one engine lost to the lower intake gasket. Fuel mileage isn't the best, I get about 28mpg @ 72mph. It's a sporty ride, really...relatively firm suspension, but not harsh. Steering is crisp, and the car looks good, really. Not an attention getter, and that IS good! I wish I could find more in good condition. I'd have a fleet.

Mine doesn't really have anything that stands out. I guess I'd say that the general styling appeals to me. I like that a lot.

A/C compressor and engine options would have been great. Now, it's all moot, as Olds and the Cutlass Supreme is dead. To one poster previous...the Cutlass Supreme DID get its redesign. In 1998. It was the Intrigue. The Supreme was originally slated to die in 1996.

I love it
By Jeremy Hoeye

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cutlass used in December of 2002 and I still love that car to this day!! Sure it could use more horsepower than the 3100 V-6 puts out but it is a very well balanced car that has given me NO problems. With the leadfoot I have that should be a testament to GM's build quality!

The automatic climate control and keyless entry

2 words...supercharged 3800