1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:
Good car.
By Griffin on 07/15/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought a fully-loaded 4-door, complete with leather, digital climate control, and CD player. The car has been a good performer, but is plagued by little issues that accompany the '88-'97 GM midsize cars. Build quality could be better. All the cars have the same problems: bad alternators, transmissions, and poorly- designed electrical systems. The only problem I've had is the alternator went out at 103k. The car is very comfortable on longer trips and drives nicely.

97 Cutlass Supreme - Great Car
By KR on 06/14/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this vehicle for 6 years and have experienced no major problems whatsoever, only routine maintenance and tire replacement. It is a lighter car with front wheel drive so it likes to slide on icy roads, but its fine as long as you forgo quick stops in the wintertime.

Solid car
By Griffin on 03/13/05 19:40 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 96,000 miles. I have had only one serious problem with it, and it was the head gaskets. It was mostly my fault, however. The car is plauged by little issues that face all 1st generation W-bodies. Nothing major. I have had no problems with any electronics, suspension, or brakes. I would definately buy another one! The 3100 is great off the line, but a little sluggish in the passing department. Mine has leather, CD, and all the options. Very comfortable and smooth.

Fun to drive, for FWD
By Joe on 02/22/05 23:37 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Even though these cars are front wheel drive, they are entertaining to drive. I have done minor upgrades to mine, in the brake and tire department. Mine has been totalled...twice, and still only a few minor squeaks and rattles. Nothing I can't deal with. The 3100 V6 is anemic, though. An L67 transplant should fix that! Reliability has been stellar, minus one engine lost to the lower intake gasket. Fuel mileage isn't the best, I get about 28mpg @ 72mph. It's a sporty ride, really...relatively firm suspension, but not harsh. Steering is crisp, and the car looks good, really. Not an attention getter, and that IS good! I wish I could find more in good condition. I'd have a fleet.

I love it
By Jeremy Hoeye on 11/12/04 20:43 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cutlass used in December of 2002 and I still love that car to this day!! Sure it could use more horsepower than the 3100 V-6 puts out but it is a very well balanced car that has given me NO problems. With the leadfoot I have that should be a testament to GM's build quality!

Nice Well-Built Car!
By Tom1997 on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

Very Reliable! This is my second Cutlass Supreme I've owned. The first was a 1990 4dr SL, which is still running fine after 175,000 miles, with original 3.1L engine and trans!!!! I traded it in for a 1997 2dr SL. I love the style of the 2dr with the sporty spoiler accent. I know the car is reliable and it will go 100,000 miles with little maintenance. What makes this car unique is that 1997 year is the last of the "Olds Cutlass". It's always nice to own some orignial "American Heritage".

97 Cutlass
By coltonss11 on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

It is a good car and very reliable. If only it got better gas mileage it would be a great first car for new drivers or somebody trying to get from point "a" to point "b".

Beware of Intake gasket leaks
By Guyj on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Car has been reliable until there was a leak at the intake manifold. This is due to a design flaw in all GM vehicles. Dexcool antifreeze is not chemically compatible with the gaskets used on the intake. Leaks can cause internal engine damage. GM so far has refused to offer any warranty or mitigate the problem. Class action lawsuits are in progress. If you buy one of these remove the Dexcool antifreeze ASAP. Other than that the car has been great. On a 1,000 mile trip we got 34 mpg round trip.

Greatest Car GM's ever Built
By John B. on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I've owned my cutlass supreme for 6 years and i have over 80,000 miles on it. Ive never had a single problem with it. People are always telling me that the cutlass supreme is the most reliable car that GM makes and i believe them. A lot of people who drive my car are suprised at the great handleing. The car is only about 4 inches off the ground. When people sit in my car they aways have trouble getting up it's like stiing on the ground. Also the car gets such great acceleration form the 3.1L engine i can easly beat any honda civic off the line. The car goes to 60 in about 8.2 sec.

best car I ever had!
By JMc on 03/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

WHAT I LIKE: • has been an almost trouble-free car! • ease of handling • responsive steering • superbly smooth and quiet highway driving • smooth quiet engine • silky smooth automatic shifting • almost zero wind noise on highway • outstanding highway fuel economy (35 mpg actual) • very nice sound system • auto/dual zone A/C • radio controls on steering wheel • reliable cold weather starting • overall outstanding vehicle in terms of ambience, comfort, economy and reliability.