Used 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:

The truth
By Mr truth

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

Well to put to you straight, the car is good if you take care of it like you should! As far as the head gas because of the fluid that's bull! It all goes with how you drive it. I saved this car from being crushed. It had 176,000 on it when I bought it now it at 180,000 the alt was replaced and the trans has a light slip but over all it a good running car! MPG is 24 to 29 thats it if your saying your getting 30 plus make sure your not going down hill!

Cutty Supreme
By antihero70

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car @ 148,000 kms. It's currently @ 166,000. Had some major repair issues with the car but some have been caused by my own hand. Installed hids, 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier with a 12 inch subwoofer so all that stuff killed the alternator but also the belt tensioner broke, the serpentine belt snapped, needed all new brakes (rotors, pads and calipers all around). Had to get dexcool put in, it was removed by previous owner, no head gasket problems yet. Needed new tires when the car was first purchased. May need new front and rear shocks. Major upgrades as well, installed a cone air filter for better performance and a high performance muffler for some low end sound and added hp.

Favorite Features

no real favorite stock features, I've had to add everything to the car that makes it better in my opinion. really quiet ride, comfortable, keyless entry, roomy interior, built like a tank!!

Suggested Improvements

fuel economy is bad (most likely due to performance upgrades) we well as the car is untintable. the rear window has to be removed to actually tint the car correctly. knobs break easily, center console lid snapped right off, needs improved build quality when it comes to plastic parts.

Great looking and fuel mileage to match
By M. Gray

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I was given this car after my mother died and I love it. I have to admit when I went with her to pick it up, I was jealous of this car's good looks. The 30+ miles to the gallon on a 9 year old car is great. With over 153,000 plus miles I still will not hesitate to take it anywhere. I have put less than $500 into this car (not counting oil changes, which we do regularly, and tires) and would recommend it to anyone looking for a resonably priced and attractive car for a recent high school grad.

Favorite Features

The good looks and fantastic fuel economy!

Suggested Improvements

Other then your standard sub-par GM fit and finish I have found nothing I would change except perhaps the original 19,000 plus new car price which I thought was excessive in 1997. We are not GM employees so that is what we paid.

Good Car, but Expensive to Maintain
By jesse729

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '97. It has 95,000 miles now. It is surprisingly reliable, it has never failed to start and never had a reason it couldn't be driven. Iíve only had one major problem which was only recommended that it be fixed and that was a coolant leak which is common among GM's. It could be caused by the use of dexcool. I had to get the upper intake gasket replaced ($600). Other then that it's been fine. Its build quality is low, I've had to glue many parts inside the car back together and standard maintenance cost can be high. It eats brakes and tires like no other and maintenance besides an oil change can be impossible, a tune up can be a multi day job.

Favorite Features

Its performance is good considering the 160 hp. The transmission is very strong and responsive. Its handling is OK for the size of the car and the stereo is is good.

Suggested Improvements

It needs better engineered brakes, the rotors and calipers are large enough but the pads arenít thick enough to contact the entire rotor and it needs easier access to spark plugs.

My Second Supreme
By Daniel Anglada

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd Cutlass Supreme. The first was a 1992 sedan which was totaled 4 months after I bought it. Ironically I bought both of them after a previous car was totaled. I had a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, which I loved, it wasn't even a year old. Looking around for a replacement, I had my eye on another sedan, but I stopped to look at a used car dealership and this one caught my eye. I immediatley fell in love with it. Of course, being used, it has some miles on it, and a few dings and surface scratches, but it is still beautiful. I've always been a fan of Oldsmobile and the Cutlass, maybe my next one will be the convertible with the 3.4 litre 24 valve dual cam engine. Knowing me....

Favorite Features

keyless entry, sound system, mini headlights, wheels, color, profile, leather wrapped steering wheel, ride, you name it!

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had the 3.4 litre engine. Otherwise, no improvements needed.