Used 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (19 reviews )

1997 cutlass supreme sl
By Chris schew

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Awesome car. Runs great. Very low maintenance car. Awesome ride and very comfy.

Reliable But Boring
By Matt

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Got this car with 69,000 miles in 2009 as a 1997 model and as such it had been reliable mostly. A/C does not work and head gasket needed replacement but otherwise trouble free. MPG is not very good, only about 17 city/23 hwy. The car is very slow to the point that you cannot pass on rural roads and it has terrible handling with tremendous understeer with scarily poor brakes as well, as if the ABS does nothing. It gets going well in snow and ice but don't try stopping quickly! Interior isn't very comfortable but had decent space. Visibility is excellent. Ride is a bit jittery and not tied down but surprisingly quiet except for wind noise.

One of the best cars I've ever driven
By stryker91

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I absolutely LOVE my Cutlass. It's only left me stranded once, and that was my fault (did a repair, forgot to put a part back on properly). It's an absolute blast to drive.

- Power seats offer much more comfort. I have a bad back and bad hip, and I can always get comfy, even on the fly. - Even when it needs a tune-up, this car will run like a spooked horse. - Interior is spacious, comfortable, and inviting.

- Cigarette lighter is in a pretty bad spot. Recommend moving it closer to centre of dash. - Not particularly wild about the shape of the shift handle. - Battery is underneath the wiper fluid reservoir, which is underneath a metal brace - Seriously, GM, what on earth?

1997 olds cutlass
By mhen

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is my second car other than my 1980 Malibu. I bought my olds with 134,000 miles on it and I have had it for 2 years now and every thing except the alternator is the original part I've checked. Now it has 234,562 miles on it and it still runs strong I put a few performance parts on it and I've took it out at the local drag strip and it ran a low 14. But besides all of that it is a really good car it has been to North Carolina 3 times since I've had it and there has been no probs. All you gata do is change the oil every 3000 miles or do what I do I change the oil every month spark plugs every 3 months. Well that is my review.

the ride, a lot of power for a v6,reliability,

better fuel economy,better design,and a better brake design mine eats brakes too.

Cutty Supreme
By antihero70

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car @ 148,000 kms. It's currently @ 166,000. Had some major repair issues with the car but some have been caused by my own hand. Installed hids, 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier with a 12 inch subwoofer so all that stuff killed the alternator but also the belt tensioner broke, the serpentine belt snapped, needed all new brakes (rotors, pads and calipers all around). Had to get dexcool put in, it was removed by previous owner, no head gasket problems yet. Needed new tires when the car was first purchased. May need new front and rear shocks. Major upgrades as well, installed a cone air filter for better performance and a high performance muffler for some low end sound and added hp.

no real favorite stock features, I've had to add everything to the car that makes it better in my opinion. really quiet ride, comfortable, keyless entry, roomy interior, built like a tank!!

fuel economy is bad (most likely due to performance upgrades) we well as the car is untintable. the rear window has to be removed to actually tint the car correctly. knobs break easily, center console lid snapped right off, needs improved build quality when it comes to plastic parts.