1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )
One of the best cars I've ever driven
By stryker91 on 12/08/13 21:36 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I absolutely LOVE my Cutlass. It's only left me stranded once, and that was my fault (did a repair, forgot to put a part back on properly). It's an absolute blast to drive.

1997 olds cutlass
By mhen on 04/16/10 05:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is my second car other than my 1980 Malibu. I bought my olds with 134,000 miles on it and I have had it for 2 years now and every thing except the alternator is the original part I've checked. Now it has 234,562 miles on it and it still runs strong I put a few performance parts on it and I've took it out at the local drag strip and it ran a low 14. But besides all of that it is a really good car it has been to North Carolina 3 times since I've had it and there has been no probs. All you gata do is change the oil every 3000 miles or do what I do I change the oil every month spark plugs every 3 months. Well that is my review.

Cutty Supreme
By antihero70 on 05/04/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car @ 148,000 kms. It's currently @ 166,000. Had some major repair issues with the car but some have been caused by my own hand. Installed hids, 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier with a 12 inch subwoofer so all that stuff killed the alternator but also the belt tensioner broke, the serpentine belt snapped, needed all new brakes (rotors, pads and calipers all around). Had to get dexcool put in, it was removed by previous owner, no head gasket problems yet. Needed new tires when the car was first purchased. May need new front and rear shocks. Major upgrades as well, installed a cone air filter for better performance and a high performance muffler for some low end sound and added hp.

Good Car, but Expensive to Maintain
By jesse729 on 04/04/06 22:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '97. It has 95,000 miles now. It is surprisingly reliable, it has never failed to start and never had a reason it couldn't be driven. I’ve only had one major problem which was only recommended that it be fixed and that was a coolant leak which is common among GM's. It could be caused by the use of dexcool. I had to get the upper intake gasket replaced ($600). Other then that it's been fine. Its build quality is low, I've had to glue many parts inside the car back together and standard maintenance cost can be high. It eats brakes and tires like no other and maintenance besides an oil change can be impossible, a tune up can be a multi day job.

Good car.
By Griffin on 07/15/05 16:28 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I bought a fully-loaded 4-door, complete with leather, digital climate control, and CD player. The car has been a good performer, but is plagued by little issues that accompany the '88-'97 GM midsize cars. Build quality could be better. All the cars have the same problems: bad alternators, transmissions, and poorly- designed electrical systems. The only problem I've had is the alternator went out at 103k. The car is very comfortable on longer trips and drives nicely.

97 Cutlass Supreme - Great Car
By KR on 06/14/05 15:59 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Have owned this vehicle for 6 years and have experienced no major problems whatsoever, only routine maintenance and tire replacement. It is a lighter car with front wheel drive so it likes to slide on icy roads, but its fine as long as you forgo quick stops in the wintertime.

Solid car
By Griffin on 03/13/05 19:40 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 96,000 miles. I have had only one serious problem with it, and it was the head gaskets. It was mostly my fault, however. The car is plauged by little issues that face all 1st generation W-bodies. Nothing major. I have had no problems with any electronics, suspension, or brakes. I would definately buy another one! The 3100 is great off the line, but a little sluggish in the passing department. Mine has leather, CD, and all the options. Very comfortable and smooth.

Fun to drive, for FWD
By Joe on 02/22/05 23:37 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Even though these cars are front wheel drive, they are entertaining to drive. I have done minor upgrades to mine, in the brake and tire department. Mine has been totalled...twice, and still only a few minor squeaks and rattles. Nothing I can't deal with. The 3100 V6 is anemic, though. An L67 transplant should fix that! Reliability has been stellar, minus one engine lost to the lower intake gasket. Fuel mileage isn't the best, I get about 28mpg @ 72mph. It's a sporty ride, really...relatively firm suspension, but not harsh. Steering is crisp, and the car looks good, really. Not an attention getter, and that IS good! I wish I could find more in good condition. I'd have a fleet.

Beware of Intake gasket leaks
By Guyj on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Car has been reliable until there was a leak at the intake manifold. This is due to a design flaw in all GM vehicles. Dexcool antifreeze is not chemically compatible with the gaskets used on the intake. Leaks can cause internal engine damage. GM so far has refused to offer any warranty or mitigate the problem. Class action lawsuits are in progress. If you buy one of these remove the Dexcool antifreeze ASAP. Other than that the car has been great. On a 1,000 mile trip we got 34 mpg round trip.

Greatest Car GM's ever Built
By John B. on 08/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I've owned my cutlass supreme for 6 years and i have over 80,000 miles on it. Ive never had a single problem with it. People are always telling me that the cutlass supreme is the most reliable car that GM makes and i believe them. A lot of people who drive my car are suprised at the great handleing. The car is only about 4 inches off the ground. When people sit in my car they aways have trouble getting up it's like stiing on the ground. Also the car gets such great acceleration form the 3.1L engine i can easly beat any honda civic off the line. The car goes to 60 in about 8.2 sec.