1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (11 reviews )
Cooling System Problems
By DLR on 06/29/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I've loved this car but it's given me persistent cooling system problems with no end in sight. I think I'm finally going to retire this one. I've had water pumps, hoses, radiators (!!) and gaskets replaced and it's still leaking and causing problems. Everything else has been more than fine, so this is frustrating. (145k miles) It's very hard to work on this car because everything is packed in so tight and in difficult spots to reach. Small tasks can take multiple days.

Nice car
By FRANK DIAZ DONIKIAN on 11/07/08 08:48 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

It is true is very difficult to access to the spark plugs located at rear. The car is some slow to start when the green light is lighting. Of course it has 160 HP, but on road its perfomance is great.

Cutlass Lover
By D. Martin on 09/16/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I am the owner of two of them. I have a red 4dr. (1996) and a White 2dr. (1995) I bought the 4dr. In 1998 and the 2dr. In 2000. I love the cutlass. Very reliable. I still have both of them today. They drive like I just bought them new. Good ride great brakes and handles great. I am in the process of buying another one. 1997 2dr. I think it is one of gm's most underrated cars. No major issues. Intake manifold is the only problem it both cars. (gm's designing) very well balanced car and is a great car to have. Can't go wrong with this one. With a little touch it can be very stylish.

The truth
By Mr truth on 05/28/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

Well to put to you straight, the car is good if you take care of it like you should! As far as the head gas because of the fluid that's bull! It all goes with how you drive it. I saved this car from being crushed. It had 176,000 on it when I bought it now it at 180,000 the alt was replaced and the trans has a light slip but over all it a good running car! MPG is 24 to 29 thats it if your saying your getting 30 plus make sure your not going down hill!

Great looking and fuel mileage to match
By M. Gray on 05/12/06 04:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I was given this car after my mother died and I love it. I have to admit when I went with her to pick it up, I was jealous of this car's good looks. The 30+ miles to the gallon on a 9 year old car is great. With over 153,000 plus miles I still will not hesitate to take it anywhere. I have put less than $500 into this car (not counting oil changes, which we do regularly, and tires) and would recommend it to anyone looking for a resonably priced and attractive car for a recent high school grad.

My Second Supreme
By Daniel Anglada on 07/19/05 05:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd Cutlass Supreme. The first was a 1992 sedan which was totaled 4 months after I bought it. Ironically I bought both of them after a previous car was totaled. I had a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, which I loved, it wasn't even a year old. Looking around for a replacement, I had my eye on another sedan, but I stopped to look at a used car dealership and this one caught my eye. I immediatley fell in love with it. Of course, being used, it has some miles on it, and a few dings and surface scratches, but it is still beautiful. I've always been a fan of Oldsmobile and the Cutlass, maybe my next one will be the convertible with the 3.4 litre 24 valve dual cam engine. Knowing me....

I love it
By Jeremy Hoeye on 11/12/04 20:43 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Cutlass used in December of 2002 and I still love that car to this day!! Sure it could use more horsepower than the 3100 V-6 puts out but it is a very well balanced car that has given me NO problems. With the leadfoot I have that should be a testament to GM's build quality!

Nice Well-Built Car!
By Tom1997 on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

Very Reliable! This is my second Cutlass Supreme I've owned. The first was a 1990 4dr SL, which is still running fine after 175,000 miles, with original 3.1L engine and trans!!!! I traded it in for a 1997 2dr SL. I love the style of the 2dr with the sporty spoiler accent. I know the car is reliable and it will go 100,000 miles with little maintenance. What makes this car unique is that 1997 year is the last of the "Olds Cutlass". It's always nice to own some orignial "American Heritage".

97 Cutlass
By coltonss11 on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

It is a good car and very reliable. If only it got better gas mileage it would be a great first car for new drivers or somebody trying to get from point "a" to point "b".

pure excellence
By Sarah 42 on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Coupe SL 2dr Coupe

I am a very proud owner of this car. It corners like its on rails, and has plenty of power to spare. 2 words, its beautiful. Love the kicked out tail lights and spoiler. body moldings are great looking. This car just looks mean, and means business.