1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:
One of the best cars I've ever driven
By stryker91 on 12/08/13 21:36 PM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I absolutely LOVE my Cutlass. It's only left me stranded once, and that was my fault (did a repair, forgot to put a part back on properly). It's an absolute blast to drive.

Cooling System Problems
By DLR on 06/29/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I've loved this car but it's given me persistent cooling system problems with no end in sight. I think I'm finally going to retire this one. I've had water pumps, hoses, radiators (!!) and gaskets replaced and it's still leaking and causing problems. Everything else has been more than fine, so this is frustrating. (145k miles) It's very hard to work on this car because everything is packed in so tight and in difficult spots to reach. Small tasks can take multiple days.

1997 olds cutlass
By mhen on 04/16/10 05:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I love this car. It is my second car other than my 1980 Malibu. I bought my olds with 134,000 miles on it and I have had it for 2 years now and every thing except the alternator is the original part I've checked. Now it has 234,562 miles on it and it still runs strong I put a few performance parts on it and I've took it out at the local drag strip and it ran a low 14. But besides all of that it is a really good car it has been to North Carolina 3 times since I've had it and there has been no probs. All you gata do is change the oil every 3000 miles or do what I do I change the oil every month spark plugs every 3 months. Well that is my review.

Nice car
By FRANK DIAZ DONIKIAN on 11/07/08 08:48 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

It is true is very difficult to access to the spark plugs located at rear. The car is some slow to start when the green light is lighting. Of course it has 160 HP, but on road its perfomance is great.

Cutlass Lover
By D. Martin on 09/16/08 11:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I am the owner of two of them. I have a red 4dr. (1996) and a White 2dr. (1995) I bought the 4dr. In 1998 and the 2dr. In 2000. I love the cutlass. Very reliable. I still have both of them today. They drive like I just bought them new. Good ride great brakes and handles great. I am in the process of buying another one. 1997 2dr. I think it is one of gm's most underrated cars. No major issues. Intake manifold is the only problem it both cars. (gm's designing) very well balanced car and is a great car to have. Can't go wrong with this one. With a little touch it can be very stylish.

The truth
By Mr truth on 05/28/08 15:06 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

Well to put to you straight, the car is good if you take care of it like you should! As far as the head gas because of the fluid that's bull! It all goes with how you drive it. I saved this car from being crushed. It had 176,000 on it when I bought it now it at 180,000 the alt was replaced and the trans has a light slip but over all it a good running car! MPG is 24 to 29 thats it if your saying your getting 30 plus make sure your not going down hill!

Cutty Supreme
By antihero70 on 05/04/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Bought the car @ 148,000 kms. It's currently @ 166,000. Had some major repair issues with the car but some have been caused by my own hand. Installed hids, 400 Watt 4 channel amplifier with a 12 inch subwoofer so all that stuff killed the alternator but also the belt tensioner broke, the serpentine belt snapped, needed all new brakes (rotors, pads and calipers all around). Had to get dexcool put in, it was removed by previous owner, no head gasket problems yet. Needed new tires when the car was first purchased. May need new front and rear shocks. Major upgrades as well, installed a cone air filter for better performance and a high performance muffler for some low end sound and added hp.

Great looking and fuel mileage to match
By M. Gray on 05/12/06 04:45 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I was given this car after my mother died and I love it. I have to admit when I went with her to pick it up, I was jealous of this car's good looks. The 30+ miles to the gallon on a 9 year old car is great. With over 153,000 plus miles I still will not hesitate to take it anywhere. I have put less than $500 into this car (not counting oil changes, which we do regularly, and tires) and would recommend it to anyone looking for a resonably priced and attractive car for a recent high school grad.

Good Car, but Expensive to Maintain
By jesse729 on 04/04/06 22:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '97. It has 95,000 miles now. It is surprisingly reliable, it has never failed to start and never had a reason it couldn't be driven. I’ve only had one major problem which was only recommended that it be fixed and that was a coolant leak which is common among GM's. It could be caused by the use of dexcool. I had to get the upper intake gasket replaced ($600). Other then that it's been fine. Its build quality is low, I've had to glue many parts inside the car back together and standard maintenance cost can be high. It eats brakes and tires like no other and maintenance besides an oil change can be impossible, a tune up can be a multi day job.

My Second Supreme
By Daniel Anglada on 07/19/05 05:16 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

This is my 2nd Cutlass Supreme. The first was a 1992 sedan which was totaled 4 months after I bought it. Ironically I bought both of them after a previous car was totaled. I had a 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier, which I loved, it wasn't even a year old. Looking around for a replacement, I had my eye on another sedan, but I stopped to look at a used car dealership and this one caught my eye. I immediatley fell in love with it. Of course, being used, it has some miles on it, and a few dings and surface scratches, but it is still beautiful. I've always been a fan of Oldsmobile and the Cutlass, maybe my next one will be the convertible with the 3.4 litre 24 valve dual cam engine. Knowing me....