Used 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:

My Best Companion
By cuzndotdot1

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cutlass for over ten years. Mileage to date is just over 207,000. I have had to do the regular maintenance repairs--intake manifold gasket (which I discovered has been replaced by a higher quality gasket); various sensors; injectors cleaned. Head gasket began leaking around 140,000 miles; catalytic converter replaced at 180,000 just to be preventive; tranny was replaced right at 200,000 miles. All in all, this car has been very reliable--even predictable in its repairs. More than one mechanic has asked me to buy it. My response? "NO WAY!" She still looks and sounds like new!

Favorite Features

Design of the interior is perfect, everything just in reach without the dash being in your face. Good use of space on GM's part.

Suggested Improvements

More room for engine access, about 4 inches would be great! (That middle back spark plug is a bear!!)

Still Fine After Ten Years
By Harvey Tillery

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been unbelievable since I've owned it, six years. Get this, the EGR valve went out about a year ago. Since then, the gas mileage has gone up three MPG in town (from 19 to 22) and on the road (27 MPG to 32)! Who needs an EGR valve? Nobody. The car is still classy looking (so far) with the 16" wheels and fine factory paint job, which is still shinny. The wheels are neat. The fine sound system still sounds good. Upkeep has included a new alternator and a new sensor, not bad at all. Of course, I have only put 60,000 miles on it in ten years, but they have been and still are good ones.

Favorite Features

The cast aluminum 16" wheels, sound system, reliability, paint, and overall looks.

Suggested Improvements

No need to consider any at age ten, but I wouldn't change a thing on this car.

192,000 Miles & Still Going
By billy3sticks

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Love this car! The 3.4 DOHC engine is the only way to go except for the $$$ to change the timing belt. Had a '95 3.1 version and this is MUCH quicker. Have had some repairs on it (AC compressor, cruise control module) but nothing you wouldn't expect for the mileage. The 5 spoke Olds wheels really set it off from the std Cutlass. Make sure of maintenance on timing belt if buying the 3.4 version. Nice leg & head room for driver & passenger (even w/moonroof and 6'1") - little cramped in rear but I don't ride there! Tranny is original but I do keep it serviced regularly. Engine uses 1 Qt oil/1,000 miles but not bad for mileage.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on steering wheel, pass thru opening for rear seats to trunk, POWER, gas mileage, climate control system

Suggested Improvements

Traction control, left foot rest for driver.

96Cutlass SL
By Bill Lockard

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

i have not had an problems and im second owner of the vehicle with the 3.1L engine

Favorite Features

its ground effect stock interior look

Suggested Improvements

radio

will not sell it
By Markm

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

After 8 years and 90K miles, my Cutlass series III does not warrant me to buy another new car yet. It runs super and the Black finish still has its show room shine. I had to replace the radiator at 66 months because I failed to read the fine print of replacing your coolant at 100K (or 60 months which ever comes first - fluid sludged on me after 66 months). I just replaced the ignition switch and realized that the cost of these 2 "minor" repairs over 8 years was Value.

Favorite Features

Premium sound rocks (from stock). Still looks modern. Stock Paint job. Comfortable cruising speed. Reliability. Still get 26 mpg with no infamous GM "knocks and pings" in the engine (always used higher octane).

Suggested Improvements

I cannot get anyone to tint the back Window for less than $200 because of its "L" shape. Oh well, at least it still looks great.