1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:
Money Pit
By no more money on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Nothing but trouble. This car is a money pit. As soon as I get something fixed, something else breaks. Of course, this only started happening after the warranty ran out. A new transmission in a car only 5 years old and only driven to work and kids to school--shouldn't have happened. Tape player broke a long time ago. Door handle cover keeps falling off on passenger and driver side. Bad fuel pump, bad water pump, 2 alternators, several batteries and now the fuel injector system needs to be replaced. I'm finished dumping money into this car!

96olds
By 96olds on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a little over a year ago with 72k. So far, so good. Put 12k on it and was recently tuned, no mechanical problems to report. The exterior is well designed, looks newer than a '96. The interior needs improvement. Plenty of plastic, but that's no surprise. The dash is a simple layout, fine with me. Good radio. Seats can become uncomfy after a long trip. Power is sufficient with the 3.1L. Handles well with the 16 inch wheels. Early morning starts causes the engine to be very throaty, but I hear this is common with GM's 3.1's. Overall, I would recommend this car.

Smooth Ride
By cutlasscrusin2003 on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my cutlass it handles like my uncles nice new sporty RSX but its alot more comfy. It gets great milage and aslo has alot of getup'n go off the line. Shes a great daily driver and i love every minute in the car.

Worst car I ever owned...
By Helicon Twist on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

...despite meticulous upkeep. Acceleration, braking, and turning similar to sinking garbage barge. Same barge must have been the source for parts, too - worst build quality I've ever seen. Reliability, maintainability were a joke: After two alternators, a dozen brake rotors, an oil leak, a vacuum leak, a hundred other problems, and finally the fuel pump (on a four year old car!), the maintenance costs were killing me.

Death of and olds
By musicdude on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my 2-door cutlass supreme with 72k miles on it. until recently I was quite impressed. The car really pulls double duty as a sports car and as a smooth riding family type car. But it has fallen apart under me. There is a problem with the brake lock, and I have a hard time shifting it out of park, and the real problem is that GM had a bad year with gaskets. Unfortunatly for me I ended up draining radiator fluid into the engine and it is now dead. A dead car at 92k miles is not what i expected. I don't think most people will get hit with an engine swap, but I really just wanted people to know about the problem.

96 Cutlass
By Olds Guy on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I am an olds fan, and I love this car. It has just the righ amount of power to take people on, and styling to go anywhere. All my friends are jealous. I have owned a coupe with the 3.4 and my current sedan with the 3.1 and loved both!

Great car except for fuel injectors
By nancynurse on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I really like to drive my Cutlass Supreme series IV, it drives great, and clings to road and takes turns well. Handles well in Cleveland snow. The leather seats and sun roof make the car "fun" for a conservative family car. My only warning is: the fuel injectors seem to be a problem in this model. I had to have all of them replaced at 98,000 miles and it is exensive repair, then the ERG valve went. Edmunds.com in their reliabillity section lists this as a problem with Cutlass model. Nancy Nurse

96 supreme
By danh on 10/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

when i first got my car i had a lot of things go wrong with it, but now everything is working perfectly. i love the way it handels, but i think that 2nd gear is set at to low of a ratio. mine is a 96 with a 3.1. but i have managed to get it up to around 200hp. i also love the 5 spoke wheels that came with it. im going to get some 17's or 18's in the near future. screw a system this car already sounds awsome with out it.

LOVE IT
By mandy17 on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

im only 17, and i got an '89 cutlass supreme as my first car, and i really like it alot. This car now is a piece...only because i ran it so hard, and in the last year i've had to repair it several times...i've mostly had problems with the brakes...and im kind of glad to hear that im not the only one...but! guess who is buying another cutlass supreme sometime this week! ME! Its a 1996 green 4 door. i am sooo excited!!

Great car
By Higby442 on 09/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

This car isexcellent. I bought it with 41000 miles and now have 125ooo miles and no reapairs to the day except for tires and brakes. I live in an area with lots of snow and the car has no rust. It still gets 30mpg and burns NO oil. It runs great, as good as the day I bought it. It still has the original front struts,exhaust and headlights/taillights! Great car, hope it continues to go