1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan - Consumer Reviews

SL 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (14 reviews )
Love my Cutdee
By David on 08/13/09 17:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for two months and I love to drive it it is a very good car to drive it has almost every thing I want except a sunroof.

Fantastic Automobile
By Drew on 03/31/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for several years, having acquired it from my mother who bought it new. Great stereo, decent performance, excellent handling. Leather interior is extremely comfortable. Have driven it on many long range trips, have had no problems with the car mechanically. Had to replace the rear glass 1.5 years ago, heat shattered it. Would not hesitate to recommend the car, especially if it has a solid documentation history.

One of the best!
By glak 150 on 10/17/08 23:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 125,000 miles on it , now I have 170,000. The car has started & run every day we've had it. It was a first car for two teenage daughters and now it is my daily driven work car. I've had many cars over the years this is probably the best and most reliable. The previous owner keeps bugging me to sell it back to him.

Still Fine After Ten Years
By Harvey Tillery on 12/18/06 18:43 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been unbelievable since I've owned it, six years. Get this, the EGR valve went out about a year ago. Since then, the gas mileage has gone up three MPG in town (from 19 to 22) and on the road (27 MPG to 32)! Who needs an EGR valve? Nobody. The car is still classy looking (so far) with the 16" wheels and fine factory paint job, which is still shinny. The wheels are neat. The fine sound system still sounds good. Upkeep has included a new alternator and a new sensor, not bad at all. Of course, I have only put 60,000 miles on it in ten years, but they have been and still are good ones.

192,000 Miles & Still Going
By billy3sticks on 12/10/04 17:20 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Love this car! The 3.4 DOHC engine is the only way to go except for the $$$ to change the timing belt. Had a '95 3.1 version and this is MUCH quicker. Have had some repairs on it (AC compressor, cruise control module) but nothing you wouldn't expect for the mileage. The 5 spoke Olds wheels really set it off from the std Cutlass. Make sure of maintenance on timing belt if buying the 3.4 version. Nice leg & head room for driver & passenger (even w/moonroof and 6'1") - little cramped in rear but I don't ride there! Tranny is original but I do keep it serviced regularly. Engine uses 1 Qt oil/1,000 miles but not bad for mileage.

will not sell it
By Markm on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

After 8 years and 90K miles, my Cutlass series III does not warrant me to buy another new car yet. It runs super and the Black finish still has its show room shine. I had to replace the radiator at 66 months because I failed to read the fine print of replacing your coolant at 100K (or 60 months which ever comes first - fluid sludged on me after 66 months). I just replaced the ignition switch and realized that the cost of these 2 "minor" repairs over 8 years was Value.

Money Pit
By no more money on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Nothing but trouble. This car is a money pit. As soon as I get something fixed, something else breaks. Of course, this only started happening after the warranty ran out. A new transmission in a car only 5 years old and only driven to work and kids to school--shouldn't have happened. Tape player broke a long time ago. Door handle cover keeps falling off on passenger and driver side. Bad fuel pump, bad water pump, 2 alternators, several batteries and now the fuel injector system needs to be replaced. I'm finished dumping money into this car!

96olds
By 96olds on 11/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a little over a year ago with 72k. So far, so good. Put 12k on it and was recently tuned, no mechanical problems to report. The exterior is well designed, looks newer than a '96. The interior needs improvement. Plenty of plastic, but that's no surprise. The dash is a simple layout, fine with me. Good radio. Seats can become uncomfy after a long trip. Power is sufficient with the 3.1L. Handles well with the 16 inch wheels. Early morning starts causes the engine to be very throaty, but I hear this is common with GM's 3.1's. Overall, I would recommend this car.

96 Cutlass
By Olds Guy on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I am an olds fan, and I love this car. It has just the righ amount of power to take people on, and styling to go anywhere. All my friends are jealous. I have owned a coupe with the 3.4 and my current sedan with the 3.1 and loved both!

Great car except for fuel injectors
By nancynurse on 11/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Sedan SL 4dr Sedan

I really like to drive my Cutlass Supreme series IV, it drives great, and clings to road and takes turns well. Handles well in Cleveland snow. The leather seats and sun roof make the car "fun" for a conservative family car. My only warning is: the fuel injectors seem to be a problem in this model. I had to have all of them replaced at 98,000 miles and it is exensive repair, then the ERG valve went. Edmunds.com in their reliabillity section lists this as a problem with Cutlass model. Nancy Nurse