Used 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:

Junk
By rcondran

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

My 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL is the reason Oldsmobile went under. The stereo quit after 6 months - was replaced under warranty with what turned out to be a "refurbished" unit - tape deck quit right after the warranty ran out. Head gasket blew at 49,000 miles. Intake gasket went at 56,000 miles - found out the intake was cracked when I was replacing the gasket. Tranny died at 100,000 miles. I'm honestly afraid to drive this car more than walking distance from my house - and don't. I drove a 1975 Cutlass I inherited from Virginia last summer - I'm restoring it to replace my 1996...I felt safer driving the 1975 than I do my '96.

I love my Olds but...
By cjochum

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Olds in 2002, it has been a pretty dependable car except its air conditioning system seems strange, as well as the problems I have with the drivers side door handle. I have replaced it and it seems to have them same problem only after a year. The air conditioner also seems to go off when going up hills. Also my cd player steals my cd's. I put one in and I might get it back that day or maybe a week later. Who knows?

Favorite Features

It drives so smooth! When the cd player works it sounds good!

My Best Companion
By cuzndotdot1

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cutlass for over ten years. Mileage to date is just over 207,000. I have had to do the regular maintenance repairs--intake manifold gasket (which I discovered has been replaced by a higher quality gasket); various sensors; injectors cleaned. Head gasket began leaking around 140,000 miles; catalytic converter replaced at 180,000 just to be preventive; tranny was replaced right at 200,000 miles. All in all, this car has been very reliable--even predictable in its repairs. More than one mechanic has asked me to buy it. My response? "NO WAY!" She still looks and sounds like new!

Favorite Features

Design of the interior is perfect, everything just in reach without the dash being in your face. Good use of space on GM's part.

Suggested Improvements

More room for engine access, about 4 inches would be great! (That middle back spark plug is a bear!!)

96Cutlass SL
By Bill Lockard

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

i have not had an problems and im second owner of the vehicle with the 3.1L engine

Favorite Features

its ground effect stock interior look

Suggested Improvements

radio

Smooth Ride
By cutlasscrusin2003

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love my cutlass it handles like my uncles nice new sporty RSX but its alot more comfy. It gets great milage and aslo has alot of getup'n go off the line. Shes a great daily driver and i love every minute in the car.

Favorite Features

The lighting in front and the trim panels that come stock. all that was needed was a little window tint. Then it looked great.

Suggested Improvements

All i want to know is where danH got that supercharger ive got the K& N filter ..