1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Supreme model:
Junk
By rcondran on 07/15/14 07:24 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

My 1996 Cutlass Supreme SL is the reason Oldsmobile went under. The stereo quit after 6 months - was replaced under warranty with what turned out to be a "refurbished" unit - tape deck quit right after the warranty ran out. Head gasket blew at 49,000 miles. Intake gasket went at 56,000 miles - found out the intake was cracked when I was replacing the gasket. Tranny died at 100,000 miles. I'm honestly afraid to drive this car more than walking distance from my house - and don't. I drove a 1975 Cutlass I inherited from Virginia last summer - I'm restoring it to replace my 1996...I felt safer driving the 1975 than I do my '96.

Love my Cutdee
By David on 08/13/09 17:37 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I have had my car for two months and I love to drive it it is a very good car to drive it has almost every thing I want except a sunroof.

Fantastic Automobile
By Drew on 03/31/09 16:52 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for several years, having acquired it from my mother who bought it new. Great stereo, decent performance, excellent handling. Leather interior is extremely comfortable. Have driven it on many long range trips, have had no problems with the car mechanically. Had to replace the rear glass 1.5 years ago, heat shattered it. Would not hesitate to recommend the car, especially if it has a solid documentation history.

One of the best!
By glak 150 on 10/17/08 23:48 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 125,000 miles on it , now I have 170,000. The car has started & run every day we've had it. It was a first car for two teenage daughters and now it is my daily driven work car. I've had many cars over the years this is probably the best and most reliable. The previous owner keeps bugging me to sell it back to him.

I love my Olds but...
By cjochum on 06/09/08 12:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I bought my Olds in 2002, it has been a pretty dependable car except its air conditioning system seems strange, as well as the problems I have with the drivers side door handle. I have replaced it and it seems to have them same problem only after a year. The air conditioner also seems to go off when going up hills. Also my cd player steals my cd's. I put one in and I might get it back that day or maybe a week later. Who knows?

My Best Companion
By cuzndotdot1 on 05/29/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cutlass for over ten years. Mileage to date is just over 207,000. I have had to do the regular maintenance repairs--intake manifold gasket (which I discovered has been replaced by a higher quality gasket); various sensors; injectors cleaned. Head gasket began leaking around 140,000 miles; catalytic converter replaced at 180,000 just to be preventive; tranny was replaced right at 200,000 miles. All in all, this car has been very reliable--even predictable in its repairs. More than one mechanic has asked me to buy it. My response? "NO WAY!" She still looks and sounds like new!

Still Fine After Ten Years
By Harvey Tillery on 12/18/06 18:43 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

This car has been unbelievable since I've owned it, six years. Get this, the EGR valve went out about a year ago. Since then, the gas mileage has gone up three MPG in town (from 19 to 22) and on the road (27 MPG to 32)! Who needs an EGR valve? Nobody. The car is still classy looking (so far) with the 16" wheels and fine factory paint job, which is still shinny. The wheels are neat. The fine sound system still sounds good. Upkeep has included a new alternator and a new sensor, not bad at all. Of course, I have only put 60,000 miles on it in ten years, but they have been and still are good ones.

192,000 Miles & Still Going
By billy3sticks on 12/10/04 17:20 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

Love this car! The 3.4 DOHC engine is the only way to go except for the $$$ to change the timing belt. Had a '95 3.1 version and this is MUCH quicker. Have had some repairs on it (AC compressor, cruise control module) but nothing you wouldn't expect for the mileage. The 5 spoke Olds wheels really set it off from the std Cutlass. Make sure of maintenance on timing belt if buying the 3.4 version. Nice leg & head room for driver & passenger (even w/moonroof and 6'1") - little cramped in rear but I don't ride there! Tranny is original but I do keep it serviced regularly. Engine uses 1 Qt oil/1,000 miles but not bad for mileage.

96Cutlass SL
By Bill Lockard on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 2dr Coupe

i have not had an problems and im second owner of the vehicle with the 3.1L engine

will not sell it
By Markm on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 4dr Sedan

After 8 years and 90K miles, my Cutlass series III does not warrant me to buy another new car yet. It runs super and the Black finish still has its show room shine. I had to replace the radiator at 66 months because I failed to read the fine print of replacing your coolant at 100K (or 60 months which ever comes first - fluid sludged on me after 66 months). I just replaced the ignition switch and realized that the cost of these 2 "minor" repairs over 8 years was Value.