Used 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Calais model:

Ol' Faithful
By Vinnie

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for almost ten years now. I've put about 45,000 miles on it, and there were 70,000 to start. The only out-of-the-ordinary repair over those entire 10 years was a slipping torque converter, which was fixed for $20 once I finally found a mechanic who understood the problem. On the flip side, the car is rusting badly. I wish the exterior were as reliable as the engine.

Great car for less $$$
By BrianWilliams

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe International 2dr Coupe

This car is so underated, GM really made a winner out of its Calais line. I have the 2.5L and its lasted a good long 15 years with a lot of miles on it. Original engine and transmission with only a few repairs. I see other Calais's on the road so I know they are cars that are built to last. It won't be worth fixing when something major does go wrong, but I'm driving it till it dies and I have my fingers crossed that it lasts a couple more years or 20,000 more miles. It's been real reliable for me, only time it wouldn't start was when the starter died. I'm real happy with this car and not planning on replacing in the near future.

Favorite Features

Great acceleration, lots of headroom for tall people. Never have seen a compact with as much space as this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The body is just fine on it, but it has a leak that $2.70 tube of silicone fixed, still my ceiling was dripping for a while. Also like every other GM built in that time frame, the waterpump died.

So far so good.
By Uncle David Williams

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe S 2dr Coupe

How can I not give this vehicle a perfect score, purchased it for $800 a few years back, have put nearly 50,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Total non-basic repairs over 6 years is $480 which isn't bad by anyones standards for a old used vehicle. I hope it keeps up, nice having an affordable car that holds up.

Rust Bucket
By Frederick

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe S 2dr Coupe

This car has been reliable to say the least over the past year of ownership. However, it appears that oldsmobile did not think using quality metal to forge the car would be worthwhile seeing as there are numerous rust spost on the car, severe water leakage into the car, and other body damage caused by forces of nature. The car, as I said, has been reliable and served me well, but I might as well be driving a pond down the freeway when it rains.

Favorite Features

The stock radio has some surprising bass.

Suggested Improvements

Use quality metal and good painting technics when building the car.

Don't buy the Quad 4!
By spectromen

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Coupe International 2dr Coupe

This car was a lemon from the start, a good idea that was poorly executed. If you see one today DO NOT BUY IT! The Quad 4 engine was not built to last and if you need a replacement one it's $5000. More than the value of the car! Beware!