1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Calais model:
Ol' Faithful
By Vinnie on 07/30/10 08:21 AM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for almost ten years now. I've put about 45,000 miles on it, and there were 70,000 to start. The only out-of-the-ordinary repair over those entire 10 years was a slipping torque converter, which was fixed for $20 once I finally found a mechanic who understood the problem. On the flip side, the car is rusting badly. I wish the exterior were as reliable as the engine.

great car! Until problems come.
By brettfavrefan4 on 07/25/09 16:53 PM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 1991. The car was great! Excellent gas millege, great stamina, great performance, everything was great! Then problems came around 1995. It started with a dead battery in winter of '95 I replaced it easily. Next, the paint job started peeling off in summer of that year I got a new paint job. The car was fine until January of '96. The car mysteriously dint start while I was trying to get home from work I spent over 5000 dollars fixing the car. When I got it working again, it died again! This time it wasn't as bad to fix. The car was downhill after that the seats started falling apart and the paint peeled again. In'97 it died and I couldn't get it started. I donated the car

Great car for less $$$
By BrianWilliams on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais International 2dr Coupe

This car is so underated, GM really made a winner out of its Calais line. I have the 2.5L and its lasted a good long 15 years with a lot of miles on it. Original engine and transmission with only a few repairs. I see other Calais's on the road so I know they are cars that are built to last. It won't be worth fixing when something major does go wrong, but I'm driving it till it dies and I have my fingers crossed that it lasts a couple more years or 20,000 more miles. It's been real reliable for me, only time it wouldn't start was when the starter died. I'm real happy with this car and not planning on replacing in the near future.

So far so good.
By Uncle David Williams on 05/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 2dr Coupe

How can I not give this vehicle a perfect score, purchased it for $800 a few years back, have put nearly 50,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Total non-basic repairs over 6 years is $480 which isn't bad by anyones standards for a old used vehicle. I hope it keeps up, nice having an affordable car that holds up.

Good Little Car--when it works!
By jackalous on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before I went into college and the dealership that I bought it from said that it had a Macco paint job and to watch out because these cars had notoriously rusted from the factory. BOY OH BOY was he right! I loved this car but the thing seemed to rust out from underneath me. And at about 115K miles, things seemed to just go horribly wrong with it. It would just stop once the car warmed up and I would have to let it cool down again before I could drive it. I have had it checked on the computer 6 times and they cant find anything wrong with it.

Rust Bucket
By Frederick on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 2dr Coupe

This car has been reliable to say the least over the past year of ownership. However, it appears that oldsmobile did not think using quality metal to forge the car would be worthwhile seeing as there are numerous rust spost on the car, severe water leakage into the car, and other body damage caused by forces of nature. The car, as I said, has been reliable and served me well, but I might as well be driving a pond down the freeway when it rains.

Don't buy the Quad 4!
By spectromen on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais International 2dr Coupe

This car was a lemon from the start, a good idea that was poorly executed. If you see one today DO NOT BUY IT! The Quad 4 engine was not built to last and if you need a replacement one it's $5000. More than the value of the car! Beware!

91 Olds 442
By Bob Norman on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 2dr Coupe

This was the HO Quad with FE3 suspension and 5 speed manual. Lots of guts 30 MPG highway and just plain fun to drive. Reliable and dependable.

I'm happy!
By Deborah Brodrick on 03/10/02 03:56 AM (PST)

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais SL 2dr Coupe

I've driven this car for five years. I love it. It drives smoother than a brand new Saturn and I have 135,000 miles on it. Hope, when it is time to buy a new car, I will be able to afford another Oldsmobile. They are great!