Used 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Cutlass Calais model:

Ol' Faithful
By Vinnie

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for almost ten years now. I've put about 45,000 miles on it, and there were 70,000 to start. The only out-of-the-ordinary repair over those entire 10 years was a slipping torque converter, which was fixed for $20 once I finally found a mechanic who understood the problem. On the flip side, the car is rusting badly. I wish the exterior were as reliable as the engine.

great car! Until problems come.
By brettfavrefan4

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 1991. The car was great! Excellent gas millege, great stamina, great performance, everything was great! Then problems came around 1995. It started with a dead battery in winter of '95 I replaced it easily. Next, the paint job started peeling off in summer of that year I got a new paint job. The car was fine until January of '96. The car mysteriously dint start while I was trying to get home from work I spent over 5000 dollars fixing the car. When I got it working again, it died again! This time it wasn't as bad to fix. The car was downhill after that the seats started falling apart and the paint peeled again. In'97 it died and I couldn't get it started. I donated the car

Great car for less $$$
By BrianWilliams

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais International 2dr Coupe

This car is so underated, GM really made a winner out of its Calais line. I have the 2.5L and its lasted a good long 15 years with a lot of miles on it. Original engine and transmission with only a few repairs. I see other Calais's on the road so I know they are cars that are built to last. It won't be worth fixing when something major does go wrong, but I'm driving it till it dies and I have my fingers crossed that it lasts a couple more years or 20,000 more miles. It's been real reliable for me, only time it wouldn't start was when the starter died. I'm real happy with this car and not planning on replacing in the near future.

Great acceleration, lots of headroom for tall people. Never have seen a compact with as much space as this vehicle.

The body is just fine on it, but it has a leak that $2.70 tube of silicone fixed, still my ceiling was dripping for a while. Also like every other GM built in that time frame, the waterpump died.

So far so good.
By Uncle David Williams

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 2dr Coupe

How can I not give this vehicle a perfect score, purchased it for $800 a few years back, have put nearly 50,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ. Total non-basic repairs over 6 years is $480 which isn't bad by anyones standards for a old used vehicle. I hope it keeps up, nice having an affordable car that holds up.

Good Little Car--when it works!
By jackalous

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before I went into college and the dealership that I bought it from said that it had a Macco paint job and to watch out because these cars had notoriously rusted from the factory. BOY OH BOY was he right! I loved this car but the thing seemed to rust out from underneath me. And at about 115K miles, things seemed to just go horribly wrong with it. It would just stop once the car warmed up and I would have to let it cool down again before I could drive it. I have had it checked on the computer 6 times and they cant find anything wrong with it.

The manually adjustable drivers seat not only moves fore and aft, but rocks as well!; first year of the "Auto- down" feature on the DR-side window!

BETTER METAL!!!! This thing rusts easier than a copper pipe in the rain!