Used 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ciera model:

Most Helpful|
A Great Car From GM!
By Fantastic Doug

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This car came with the standard 3.1 Liter V6 Engine,AC,ABS brakes,and automatic transmission. It is the perfect car for driving around town. I bought the car new and have over 135,000 miles on it. It still drives like a new car with excellent gas mileage.The only thing not working is cruise control, and I don't care because most of my driving is in stop and go city traffic. I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time. A mechanic told me the light is a problem in the car's computer system-nothing is wrong with the car. I really enjoy this car and intend to keep it for many years to come!

Favorite Features

Vision is excellent out of all windows and that is a must in city traffic. The seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of leg room for a tall person. And the ride is quiet with the windows closed.

Suggested Improvements

My front license plate got ripped off in a car wash because it was mounted in a large boxy holder. I recommend eliminating the boxy holder and mount the plate directly against the bumper. I did this and the plate stays on the car.This would be an excellent upgrade for any Oldsmobile owner.

discouraging.
By cole21

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car a little over a year now, and I'm aching to be rid of it. you feel every bump in the road, and although the seats are very comfortable, its not a pleasant ride. there's rust and holes in the rear, it's slow, its awful on gas, and I've put so much money into it, its not even worth it. my door doesn't open when i unlock it, my battery died twice, I've had my brakes done twice, new oil, and fluids, my windshield wiper fluid doesn't come out. It's nothing special, and shouldn't have this many problems considering I bought it from an eighty year old woman who used to to drive to church. Waste of my money and time.

Great First Car
By Bamboo

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This is simply an A to B car and nothing more. The car's quality is sub par compared to other vehicles of the era. It does offer a great first vehicle platform. It's large, cheap, handles the winter well, but gets mediocre gas mileage. There is also plenty of cargo space.

Favorite Features

The angular exterior styling. It serves its utilitarian purpose well.

Suggested Improvements

Both door handles fell apart. The brakes and front struts seem to wear abnormally. The 3.1L engine is still plagued by bad performance and a bad valve train. Parts are pricey and proprietary. I have had no luck preventing these mechanical issues even with preventative maintenance.

Comfortable and Quiet
By Matt

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in '96 with the 4-cyl. engine. It has never stranded us though it has had some major problems. They include eating three head gaskets and bad rusting near the trunk/rear end. There are two baseball sized holes at each rear wheel well into the trunk. and while it has not been a real problem, the fuel pump whirrs loudly, enough for the passengers to always ask "whats that sound?". Otherwise it has a great ride and comfortable seats, which makes up for the lackluster acceleration and performance. This car has developed more and more rattles and squeaks from the dash. I guess it's not TOO bad for an American car with high mileage and not garaged for its whole life.

Favorite Features

The HVAC system is strong, it has a smooth ride, comfortable seats, and it is quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Give it more horepower, the 4-cyl. engine is SERIOUSLY underpowered. Also, it needs better rust protection for the long run.

Cheap and dependable
By it's paid for

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is about as much fun as watching molasses run uphill, in January. But it is bullet proof mechanically, and gets me from point A to B without fail. The V-6 never missed a beat, and after 168k miles, still refused to use a drop of oil. HVAC is one of the better features.

Favorite Features

HVAC, dependability, comfortable seats and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, never over 25 mpg for me, but never under 20 either.