Used 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera - Consumer Reviews

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera

View reviews for a specific Ciera model:

discouraging.
By cole21

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car a little over a year now, and I'm aching to be rid of it. you feel every bump in the road, and although the seats are very comfortable, its not a pleasant ride. there's rust and holes in the rear, it's slow, its awful on gas, and I've put so much money into it, its not even worth it. my door doesn't open when i unlock it, my battery died twice, I've had my brakes done twice, new oil, and fluids, my windshield wiper fluid doesn't come out. It's nothing special, and shouldn't have this many problems considering I bought it from an eighty year old woman who used to to drive to church. Waste of my money and time.

Attached To My Olds
By Kiki

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 5 years old.It had 39,000 miles on it. I liked the car on the first test drive. I am quite attached to my 96 Olds now and take care of it with TLC. I read on another review: QUOTE "I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time." The same for me but it's OK. I will have a hard time to part with this car. It looks like new (had body work done) had a remote starter installed, added Oldsmobile mudflaps and wire wheel covers. It's a sharp looking car. I have spent the most for repairs this year but I knew that was coming and I was willing to make the repair investments. I love my 96 Oldsmobile !

Favorite Features

I get excellent gas mileage with my 96 Olds.

A Great Car From GM!
By Fantastic Doug

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This car came with the standard 3.1 Liter V6 Engine,AC,ABS brakes,and automatic transmission. It is the perfect car for driving around town. I bought the car new and have over 135,000 miles on it. It still drives like a new car with excellent gas mileage.The only thing not working is cruise control, and I don't care because most of my driving is in stop and go city traffic. I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time. A mechanic told me the light is a problem in the car's computer system-nothing is wrong with the car. I really enjoy this car and intend to keep it for many years to come!

Favorite Features

Vision is excellent out of all windows and that is a must in city traffic. The seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of leg room for a tall person. And the ride is quiet with the windows closed.

Suggested Improvements

My front license plate got ripped off in a car wash because it was mounted in a large boxy holder. I recommend eliminating the boxy holder and mount the plate directly against the bumper. I did this and the plate stays on the car.This would be an excellent upgrade for any Oldsmobile owner.

Cheap and dependable
By it's paid for

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is about as much fun as watching molasses run uphill, in January. But it is bullet proof mechanically, and gets me from point A to B without fail. The V-6 never missed a beat, and after 168k miles, still refused to use a drop of oil. HVAC is one of the better features.

Favorite Features

HVAC, dependability, comfortable seats and ride.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage could be better, never over 25 mpg for me, but never under 20 either.

Like a Timex, It Keeps on Ticking
By it's paif for

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is boring. But it is reliable, and no matter how I treat it, she just won't give up the ghost. The wife won't let me get something else until this thing dies, so it might be a while. I've got 167,000 miles on her and it still doesn't burn a drop of oil. It has some rust, but for a work car it is perfect. We even take this thing and leave the van at home to keep the miles off the good vehicle. I don't get the gas mileage that others claim though.

Favorite Features

I love the seats, they are good for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

It's a moot point, Olds fell by the wayside a few years ago.