1996 Oldsmobile Ciera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ciera model:
discouraging.
By cole21 on 09/09/11 13:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car a little over a year now, and I'm aching to be rid of it. you feel every bump in the road, and although the seats are very comfortable, its not a pleasant ride. there's rust and holes in the rear, it's slow, its awful on gas, and I've put so much money into it, its not even worth it. my door doesn't open when i unlock it, my battery died twice, I've had my brakes done twice, new oil, and fluids, my windshield wiper fluid doesn't come out. It's nothing special, and shouldn't have this many problems considering I bought it from an eighty year old woman who used to to drive to church. Waste of my money and time.

Attached To My Olds
By Kiki on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 5 years old.It had 39,000 miles on it. I liked the car on the first test drive. I am quite attached to my 96 Olds now and take care of it with TLC. I read on another review: QUOTE "I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time." The same for me but it's OK. I will have a hard time to part with this car. It looks like new (had body work done) had a remote starter installed, added Oldsmobile mudflaps and wire wheel covers. It's a sharp looking car. I have spent the most for repairs this year but I knew that was coming and I was willing to make the repair investments. I love my 96 Oldsmobile !

A Great Car From GM!
By Fantastic Doug on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This car came with the standard 3.1 Liter V6 Engine,AC,ABS brakes,and automatic transmission. It is the perfect car for driving around town. I bought the car new and have over 135,000 miles on it. It still drives like a new car with excellent gas mileage.The only thing not working is cruise control, and I don't care because most of my driving is in stop and go city traffic. I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time. A mechanic told me the light is a problem in the car's computer system-nothing is wrong with the car. I really enjoy this car and intend to keep it for many years to come!

Cheap and dependable
By it's paid for on 03/22/07 11:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is about as much fun as watching molasses run uphill, in January. But it is bullet proof mechanically, and gets me from point A to B without fail. The V-6 never missed a beat, and after 168k miles, still refused to use a drop of oil. HVAC is one of the better features.

Like a Timex, It Keeps on Ticking
By it's paif for on 03/09/07 21:09 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is boring. But it is reliable, and no matter how I treat it, she just won't give up the ghost. The wife won't let me get something else until this thing dies, so it might be a while. I've got 167,000 miles on her and it still doesn't burn a drop of oil. It has some rust, but for a work car it is perfect. We even take this thing and leave the van at home to keep the miles off the good vehicle. I don't get the gas mileage that others claim though.

Great First Car
By Bamboo on 09/18/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This is simply an A to B car and nothing more. The car's quality is sub par compared to other vehicles of the era. It does offer a great first vehicle platform. It's large, cheap, handles the winter well, but gets mediocre gas mileage. There is also plenty of cargo space.

Comfortable and Quiet
By Matt on 09/15/06 21:22 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in '96 with the 4-cyl. engine. It has never stranded us though it has had some major problems. They include eating three head gaskets and bad rusting near the trunk/rear end. There are two baseball sized holes at each rear wheel well into the trunk. and while it has not been a real problem, the fuel pump whirrs loudly, enough for the passengers to always ask "whats that sound?". Otherwise it has a great ride and comfortable seats, which makes up for the lackluster acceleration and performance. This car has developed more and more rattles and squeaks from the dash. I guess it's not TOO bad for an American car with high mileage and not garaged for its whole life.

Great Care
By vsochaquiroz on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Great Car to get around in. Great on fuel consumption.

Value and comfort
By Buy American on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Original owner with 97,000 miles. No mechanical problems except for transmission which was fixed at 7,000 miles under warranty. Have only changed the belts, front brakes done twice and rear brakes once. Original battery almost eight years old! Gets 31 MPG on highway, about 19 around town. At almost 8 years old the finish is holding up very well except for some discoloration of the plastic side trim. Although it was never fashionable this car has proved to be a great value so far!

If you need depenndability, here you go!
By tomonsunset on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I purchaced this car with about 75,000 on it from an employer who used it as a VP's company car. It sat 2 years and was seldomed used as it was forgotten about when they went to a leasing program. Other than a battery and brakes i ahve no problem withis car. Mine ahd the 3.1 V6 that had plenty of zip around town and easly ahandled highway traffic with ease.Car was easy to service. NOTE: I went through 3 after amrket fule pumps before I got one that did not "roar" when driving. This sound of the pump running and echoing from the fule tank drove me nuts.By the way, the orignal equipment pump was changed out for the same reason.