1996 Oldsmobile Ciera - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ciera model:
discouraging.
By cole21 on 09/09/11 13:07 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I've had this car a little over a year now, and I'm aching to be rid of it. you feel every bump in the road, and although the seats are very comfortable, its not a pleasant ride. there's rust and holes in the rear, it's slow, its awful on gas, and I've put so much money into it, its not even worth it. my door doesn't open when i unlock it, my battery died twice, I've had my brakes done twice, new oil, and fluids, my windshield wiper fluid doesn't come out. It's nothing special, and shouldn't have this many problems considering I bought it from an eighty year old woman who used to to drive to church. Waste of my money and time.

Attached To My Olds
By Kiki on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

I bought the car when it was 5 years old.It had 39,000 miles on it. I liked the car on the first test drive. I am quite attached to my 96 Olds now and take care of it with TLC. I read on another review: QUOTE "I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time." The same for me but it's OK. I will have a hard time to part with this car. It looks like new (had body work done) had a remote starter installed, added Oldsmobile mudflaps and wire wheel covers. It's a sharp looking car. I have spent the most for repairs this year but I knew that was coming and I was willing to make the repair investments. I love my 96 Oldsmobile !

A Great Car From GM!
By Fantastic Doug on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This car came with the standard 3.1 Liter V6 Engine,AC,ABS brakes,and automatic transmission. It is the perfect car for driving around town. I bought the car new and have over 135,000 miles on it. It still drives like a new car with excellent gas mileage.The only thing not working is cruise control, and I don't care because most of my driving is in stop and go city traffic. I've had to replace the battery several times and the "service engine soon" light stays on all the time. A mechanic told me the light is a problem in the car's computer system-nothing is wrong with the car. I really enjoy this car and intend to keep it for many years to come!

used county car
By Sean on 08/10/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Wagon

I had bought my 1996 Olds Ciera Wagon from Suffolk County on auction. It had over 100K when I bought it. I have used it as a utility vehicle basically to carry stuff that I do not want getting wet in my pick up. The car has been excellent, while not a great stand out by styling it does the job it is suppose to do. Like the car very much. Have the 3.1 V6 offers good acceleration.

Great car at excellent value
By 1996 Olds Ciera Wago on 10/12/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Wagon

I bought this car on auction from Suffolk County. It is an ex fleet vehicle. I use it primarily to take me to and from work. Which it does very well. While not an sexy car. It works for me. The mileage is excellent and with 100k + on the odometer all I have had to do is change the oil , have it inspected and flush the rad. Excellent buy. I still get quite a few comments (positive) about it.

My really used Ciera Wagon X fleet
By Sean 418 on 03/30/08 06:05 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Wagon

In June of 2007, I purchased a 1996 Olds Ciera Wagon on auction from Suffolk County. I bought it because I like station wagons and my 1989 Celebrity wagon was dead. This car has been excellent. After dropping in a new battery and having the oil and fluids changed, I have not had a single problem. Not bad for a vehicle I spent $410. on. Gets me back and forth no problem. May not be the most stylish thing on the road, but that is what I have my 2000 Intrigue and 1968 Chevy Biscayne for. It is like having a van, that is what I use it as. I also use it for work. Love this car. Would buy another one.

Cheap and dependable
By it's paid for on 03/22/07 11:08 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is about as much fun as watching molasses run uphill, in January. But it is bullet proof mechanically, and gets me from point A to B without fail. The V-6 never missed a beat, and after 168k miles, still refused to use a drop of oil. HVAC is one of the better features.

Like a Timex, It Keeps on Ticking
By it's paif for on 03/09/07 21:09 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

Yes, this car is boring. But it is reliable, and no matter how I treat it, she just won't give up the ghost. The wife won't let me get something else until this thing dies, so it might be a while. I've got 167,000 miles on her and it still doesn't burn a drop of oil. It has some rust, but for a work car it is perfect. We even take this thing and leave the van at home to keep the miles off the good vehicle. I don't get the gas mileage that others claim though.

No Major Problems After Eleven Years!
By J Bloom on 01/19/07 23:28 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Wagon

I have two '96 Cierras. The other one is a 4-door sedan. My wagon has 108,000 miles on it while my daughter has 132,000 miles on her college bound four door. The wagon has just had the water pump and fuel pump replaced for the first time shortly after it turned 100,000 miles and the drive belt was replaced at 80,000. It's comfortable and the fuel economy - especially on trips is very good. Both get exactly what the EPA reports - about 20 mpg in town, and 29 to 30 mpg on trips. The 3.1 V6 engine combined with a four speed automatic (overdrive) transmission does the trick. Even my 3-speed auto '90 Corolla doesn't deliver 30 mpg on the highway! The sedan had a top manifold leak at 125,000 miles, so I'm watching for similar problems with the wagon. It's OK so far.

Great First Car
By Bamboo on 09/18/06 18:49 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Sedan

This is simply an A to B car and nothing more. The car's quality is sub par compared to other vehicles of the era. It does offer a great first vehicle platform. It's large, cheap, handles the winter well, but gets mediocre gas mileage. There is also plenty of cargo space.