2002 Oldsmobile Bravada - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Bravada model:
Comfortable, somewhat reliable.
By john_alba on 12/05/12 19:53 PM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My mom got this car at about 75K. Off the bat, the rear air compressor didnt work and it sagged, so we switched to regular shocks. At about 100k the Engine coils started messing up, have had to change 3 so far from the 6 i have to change since apparently they dont last very long. I have since gotten this car now that I left for college about a Year ago. The A/C doesnt work on it anymore now, it shakes every time i turn on the A/C and sometimes the engine even turns on. Bad compressor. The car currently has an issue that when it very cold in the mornings it will give a "reduced engine power" light and a check engine light. Recently i have noticed the engine is not that good of quality.

Unbelievably unreliable
By BlueBravada on 11/22/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Nice vehicle as far as comfort and ride, but unbelievable amount or repairs required. Right off the bat was sent letter from GM saying sorry, forget to line the piston cylinders, so engine may fail at any time. Warranty was extended on that engine part only, too bad it wasn't the entire car. Four wheel drive system has self activated and permanently locked four times, requiring an approx 2000 repair. Air shocks in rear deflated to the ground daily for years, but dealer couldn't diagnose (or "duplicate") the problem until the warranty expired (new air shocks- duh). Water pump died several times. Expensive bearing repair in front cost 2000. Auto mirrors had a mind of their own.

100K review
By fladad on 07/27/10 05:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine New in 02. I'd give this an 11 on Comfort and Performance. Regularly drive this 120 miles for work and its a better ride than a Lexus. Acceleration is great and turning radius is tight. I am on the original brakes at 100k! Eight yrs in Florida sun and the ac is still going strong. Had to replace the air suspension bags in the rear. Buy parts online and find a truck specialty shop to install, it's half the dealer cost. The eng is strong but has always been too loud. Had strange elec problems and replaced a box, think it was body control module. The depreciation is horrible, but this makes it a GREAT used car buy! Will keep this until 200k!

Never buy a discontinued brand!
By Kyle on 06/30/10 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 80,000 miles. Needed a car that was not so low to the ground because of my back. Wish I would have bought an old 9 Taurus. This car has fallen apart on me, the transfer case got a hole blown in it. So now its going to cost me $1700 dollars to replace, not including labor. I cant drive it because the drive shaft is laying in my garage and now I have no car because I'm on a fixed income. I will never buy a discontinued brand again. The devil in mechanical form!

super car
By john C on 05/07/10 12:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

this is my first SUV, it is awsome to drive although i quickly found out how much Gas an SUV will run through. the only problems are the gas and the ride. the ride is smooth and awsome, although on longer trips i soon get annoyed by the slight sway of the vehicle. any pothole, bump, or crack in the road causes the car to sway mildly. the wind roar isnt any thing to brag about either. as for exterior it is good, just like a trailblazer which i love. the headlights are ugly but it doesnt matter to me. i love this car, it is luxurious yet competitive. great car.

about the air bags
By fladad on 03/03/10 17:39 PM (PST)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am writing about the rear air suspension air bags. Just replaced mine at 91000 miles. Dealer wanted $744 not incl compressor. I had a truck shop that specializes in raising suspensions and custom jobs install them for $125..Now my Bravada doesnt hav sagging rear end anymore!

Bravada
By Ron Rottger on 10/29/09 16:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle used with 40,000m on it.Had it for almost 2 yrs and it's been a great ride. My 15yr old daughter will be getting it in 4 months for her car. Have not spent a dime on it other than 4 new tires and regular maint.Hope for it to last for 6 more yrs.

run away from this suv
By Cindy on 08/28/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this suv in 2004 with very little mileage I have had nothing but problems with it.. The idle arms have been replaced more than once very hard on the wheel barrings. I keep good maintenance but this was a lemon. I had to replace the door hinges and it cost me $1200 alone for that. The transmission going now... Have a short in the dash inside lights on dash when they want. My gas gauge also works when it wants to, the 4 wheel is going out of it. It would be easier to list what does work and what doesn't work or has needed replaced. My mechanic told me to get rid of it 2 years ago I had so much into it I thought for sure it would be ok I should of listened to him this suv is bad...

I love my Bravada
By CP on 06/22/09 10:06 AM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

New off the lot, thought i needed a new one until i started looking, the new 2009 SUV's are trash compared to my truck, apart from normal service, air con swith has gone twice,annoying in houston heat, the truck has cost nothingComfort of. But thats it. I have averaged 19.6 mpg and i drive stop and go commute. i love my silver girl.

Good, Reliable Vehicle
By kyleg001 on 06/18/09 22:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I like this vehicle, I'm not a major SUV fan, but this one tops my chart. I have had some common issues; the front bumper does seem loose, and this is actually normal, due to the mounting design.The electric radiator fan clutch can stick, you can notice it, once it starts, and it will continue to stick and needs replacement.I had to replace suspension air springs (easy job) Cracked exhaust header, cover by warranty.Recall on lower control arms and air pump wire harness (GET THESE FIXED! change ball joints @ same time) Currently 90K miles bought new at 40k.Look out for transfer case issues on 4WD.Have had some road noise due to the front window upper door seals and positive inside pressure.