1997 Oldsmobile Bravada Consumer Review: Run Away

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada - Consumer Review

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada

Base 4dr SUV (4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Run Away
By zerosoma33 on

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada 4dr SUV AWD

The only redeeming factor of my Bravada ownership was that I paid $700 for it and was able to use it during one harsh winter season. At the tail end of January, however, all of that ended for this vehicle.

123,000 miles. What a nightmare. Engine knock. Had it looked at, said it was the belts but didn't need to be replaced immediately. It also shut off sometimes while in reverse. One frosty January night the vehicle quit accelerating and wouldn't turn back on. I coasted it to a parking lot and had it towed. Flywheel broke off and damaged internal parts. Ruined the transmission. Now the vehicle will start but will not shift. Keys get stuck in ignition. Engine grinds like a lawnmower.

For the 5 months that it worked, it plowed through snow really well and always started in cold weather. Unfortunately I've heard the AWD has a nasty habit of failing. It also sucks gas more than any other vehicle I've ever driven. I averaged 10 mpg during my daily commutes (I calculated it). Even without the problems, $4 gasoline is too much to spare when you're only getting 10 miles per gallon.

Other problems : CD Player refused to work, ejected with "Err" all the time. Rear defroster made a buzzing grinding noise. Gas gauge bounced around like a pogo stick and gave me inaccurate readings (though I was still able to calculate mpg). Felt like driving a go-cart, in that it never felt solid and seemed like it could tip. Suggested improvements? Give every Bravada owner a certificate for $5,000 off their next new or used vehicle. It's the least you can do.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review