Used 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )

I got lucky !
By TommyBoy

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this from a private owner that bought a Saturn Vue. I drove from Ohio to AZ without issues but replaced the radiator and water pump after my arrival. Replaced brake rotors and calibers prior to departure. It drove through the snow without any problems so SmartTrak is very cool. One rust spot around the gas tank refill just starting to bubble. I have no other issues with this vehicle and plan on driving it into the ground. I owned a 93 Olds Delta 88 LSS before this and put 112K miles on it. I have always owned GM. There's currently 84K on the Bravada.

SmarTrak is VERY cool in snow especially in Flagstaff. Sunroof now that I'm in AZ.

Fuel economy. I'm getting 15-22

Best car I ever had
By Jim

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car. I bought it used six years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. I have replaced the ball joints and added freon to the air conditioner but that's about it. I love driving it around town and drive it to my lake cabin. It's a great hauler and I will keep it until it drops.

My favorite thing about this vehicle is the drivers seat. The most comfortable seat that I have ever had! It has held it's age well....you would never know that this vehicle is 10 years old!

No suggested improvements.

Worst Vehicle Ever
By CarOwner

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This was the worst experience I have ever had with any vehicle. I had to replace the transmission at 56,000 miles, the alternator, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, brakes many times, major tune up at 60,000 miles, oxygen sensor, transfer case, complete air conditioning system, wiper motor, door hinge pins, many fuses, parts of the dash started falling off, idler arm, and last but not least an alighnment. I am sure I have forgotten something or many somethings. Please do not buy this vehicle, I lost so much money and it was so hard to resell due to its reputation. It is no wonder Oldsmobile is no more.

I liked the way it handled in the snow.

Everything else.

1997 Olds Bravada
By AKlein

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Overall a great SUV. Worst part is the fuel consumption. Seem to get only about 22-24 mpg on highway. I have had lots of A/C problems and cant solve the problem even with repeated visits to dealership. Wipers also seem to choose when to stop working.

Seems to be built like a tank.

Would be nice to have at least a passenger air bag in addition to the drivers.

The Bravada Experience
By bravada

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my Bravada about 15 months ago and overall it has been a wonderful experience driving it. I never liked SUV's before, now I'm hooked. The I still like my cars, I believe I will always have a SUV to sit beside it. It's handling is pretty much natural and the style puts you right with the other big time wheelers at a very reasonable price and equal style, always meeting the look of many $40,000 - $50,000 SUV you see riding around. I brought mine for $6,000 and it sat with the most expensive SUV's in the city. It raved with compliments from all who seen and expeienced it.

The leather seats and exceptional sound system.

Repairs and parts are really high. Mileage improvements can be done too. Maximum damage occurs even in minimal accidents. Primary improvement is auto-body durability.