1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )
This truck sucks
By FormerGMOwners on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The transmission went out the first year we owned it. Everytime we take this vehicle in for servicing it is $500 plus! It never has run right and the dealer seems to have no clue re how to fix it. It only has a little over 60k miles and we've replaced the alternator, A/C compressor, transfer case, etc. The air bag light never goes off (indicating a malfunction that nobody can seem to find), speakers go off for no known reason. I don't know how we'll ever get rid of this POS unless we find someone who will push it off the side a cliff and we can collect some insurance $. We wouldn't have another GM product if given to us.

Bad money after bad
By broke down on 04/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Had problems with this car from the get go. We've replaced the transmission, front differntial, bearings, fuel injectors, etc. I keep thinking that the car should be brand new by now, but like clockwork once a quater it is in the shop with a $1,000 plus bill. I could save for a new car if it would just run a few months without a mechanic's bill.

Bought it old
By J R on 02/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

We purchased this vehicle from a Dealer who knew it had issues. Typical is the Dex cool issue which used to eat up radiator and heater cores. We've a great mechanic and had to spend $2000 improving the vehicle but it now appears in great shape. You MUST change all the fluids periodically despite manufacturer recommendations. Expect to clean the injector manifold at about 75,000 and replace the intake manifold gasket. They will typically leak about then.

Very unhappy
By Very unhappy on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this car not knowing what I was doing...the transmission went out on us 1 year after purchace. The heating system went out along with several other machanical problems. I will never by another GM again!

quin
By quin on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

this vechicle rides very smoothly has good suspension.

Good bang for the buck
By bandd on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Bought it in 1998 with 16K miles. Transmission went out at 40K. Luckily, with a lot of complaining, GM put a new one in for free (kudos GM). It now has 104K and I've replaced break pads, belt tensioner and the water pump. After the tranny, it wasn't too bad. I like the way it drives. It's great in the snow. Can't say I would buy another one because the reliability is suspect but I enjoy mine now. Plan on driving it till it dies. Everything is working great now...knock on wood.

Helluva truck
By Bravada Man on 06/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this truck used in 2000 and its only hit the mechanic twice. Once for brakes and calipers and the other for a sluggishness that was attributed to dirty fuel injectors (fixed with a $27 chemical that goes in the fuel tank). This car is my families only one and we love it. It has treated us great and its like driving a luxury car. Get one while you still can.

No More AJ (American Junk)
By NoMoreAJ on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

When we bought the car the gas gauge didn't work. My wife found this out the 2nd day of ownership when the thing ran out of gas. The alternator went out. The front brake calipers froze. the fornt steering linkages all needed to be replaced. The ball joints went bad. Then the transmission started to go... And that's when the Bravada had to go. We traded it in for a 2003 Toyota Highlander. The Highlander is a beautiful car. The Bravada is the last American car I will ever buy. We have a 2002 mustang. We can't wait to unload that turkey before it let's go. The battle cry in our household is "NO MORE AJ (American Junk)" .

no problems
By jac65 on 04/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Runs great, 50K no problems,take care of it and drive.

not reliable
By not reliable on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

bought olds bravada three years ago had nothing but problems from the start the second day I drove it it wouldnt start the battery terminals were loose since then i have replaced wheel bearings and hub assembly THREE times twice on driver front once on passenger, also idler arm, ball joints (both sides upper and lower), new alternator, constant default in power windows, u joints, front differential....must i go on. I have only put on 30k since I got it. Maybe the whole vehicle should be recalled and our money plus some returned!!!!!! I have almost sucessfully put a new front end on my car!!!