Used 1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada - Consumer Reviews

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV

Base 4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )

Bravada, Edsel and Me
By proofed

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Back again, To all of you that wrote those glowing reviews, I salute you and your luck. I do believe you are living in denial,however but that is my opinion. I have to tell the truth, yes, it is a beautiful car with luxury appointments etc and was wonderful for the two weeks that I didn;t have to work on it. It shines like a new penny, the leather is soft, but if it sits in your drive looking pretty, it is like a trophy wife who chooses to sleep on the couch. As I type, I have spent another night tracing ground faults, bad parts, and now suspect the keyremote unit for some of this. I already had it to the eletrician for a week and $500, who fixed only the low voltage standard for the engine

Favorite Features

Ifeel for the folks that are as puzzled as I that have asked questions that are mostly unanswerable.no less than 7 mech have triedon mine.I ran across this site searching for another car (100,000 on mine) and envy the folks who tell of 300,000 and not a hiccup.Advice now, it seems is grasping straw.

Suggested Improvements

I think GM should have been allowed to go the way of the dodo bird. The complexities they wrought on this model HAD to go awry, AS shortcuts were taken one tech told me that resulted in EDsel- Bravada. Iwish you all the luck to keep this beast going,ie the lottery Oldman Olds spins in his grave!

Best car I ever had
By Jim

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car. I bought it used six years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. I have replaced the ball joints and added freon to the air conditioner but that's about it. I love driving it around town and drive it to my lake cabin. It's a great hauler and I will keep it until it drops.

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about this vehicle is the drivers seat. The most comfortable seat that I have ever had! It has held it's age well....you would never know that this vehicle is 10 years old!

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements.

Run Away
By zerosoma33

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The only redeeming factor of my Bravada ownership was that I paid $700 for it and was able to use it during one harsh winter season. At the tail end of January, however, all of that ended for this vehicle. 123,000 miles. What a nightmare. Engine knock. Had it looked at, said it was the belts but didn't need to be replaced immediately. It also shut off sometimes while in reverse. One frosty January night the vehicle quit accelerating and wouldn't turn back on. I coasted it to a parking lot and had it towed. Flywheel broke off and damaged internal parts. Ruined the transmission. Now the vehicle will start but will not shift. Keys get stuck in ignition. Engine grinds like a lawnmower.

Favorite Features

For the 5 months that it worked, it plowed through snow really well and always started in cold weather. Unfortunately I've heard the AWD has a nasty habit of failing. It also sucks gas more than any other vehicle I've ever driven. I averaged 10 mpg during my daily commutes (I calculated it). Even without the problems, $4 gasoline is too much to spare when you're only getting 10 miles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Other problems : CD Player refused to work, ejected with "Err" all the time. Rear defroster made a buzzing grinding noise. Gas gauge bounced around like a pogo stick and gave me inaccurate readings (though I was still able to calculate mpg). Felt like driving a go-cart, in that it never felt solid and seemed like it could tip. Suggested improvements? Give every Bravada owner a certificate for $5,000 off their next new or used vehicle. It's the least you can do.

Happy owner
By Carl

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Feel lucky and happy I bought my Bravada at a VERY GOOD PRICE 4 years ago. It needed brakes and tires when I bought it. That's all I've done to the car. Now the service light came on and dealer can't fix it after spending $1000. Runs great! Paint is better than newer cars on the road. I'm amazed at all the extras it came with it, all power moon roof, driver seat windows mirrors and ALL WORKS!

Favorite Features

Great quality paint. Looks new ! Smooth ride better than other SUVs A/C and heater at its best, never had to service it.

Suggested Improvements

Poor mileage :(

Bravada, our generation's EDSEL!
By proofed

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

HI all, I am "mad as hell and I am not going to take ti anymore". Mostly at myself for buying what was meant to be a practical purpose, but the shine and the bells and the whistles sucked me in.To keep it as brief as possible, I bought this car as I needed a vehicle that could tow a boat and a small trailer. It fit the bill perfectly and I traded my SW2 Saturn Wagon, a good car, for this nightmare on elm street. I have been able to use it twice in two years to camp and to boat, a short trip. Overheating was # 1, Bad gas #2, complete cat replacement with 6 oxy sens #3,a 300 spider fuel injection unit #4,batt drain, as the genius who designed the switch made it too easy to leave on,more...

Favorite Features

the cd player which now rejects all with "er", the aforementioned light switch that drains the battery if left on. Being unable to get my keys out to get into my home. The constant miss in #3 cylinder rocks my soul, The hours I have missed wiring, fixing, taking this t0 mechanics- $100to open hood.

Suggested Improvements

Thank the saints above that they quit making this poorly engineered, cheesy plastic parts that cost a weeks wages,piece of gas guzzling junk.It is comfortable if you live in it. It is like a hacker that plants virus' and this beauty has them all,as if some evil techie was infecting the GM plant. ->