1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic - (24 reviews )
Run Away
By zerosoma33 on 04/14/11 11:14 AM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The only redeeming factor of my Bravada ownership was that I paid $700 for it and was able to use it during one harsh winter season. At the tail end of January, however, all of that ended for this vehicle. 123,000 miles. What a nightmare. Engine knock. Had it looked at, said it was the belts but didn't need to be replaced immediately. It also shut off sometimes while in reverse. One frosty January night the vehicle quit accelerating and wouldn't turn back on. I coasted it to a parking lot and had it towed. Flywheel broke off and damaged internal parts. Ruined the transmission. Now the vehicle will start but will not shift. Keys get stuck in ignition. Engine grinds like a lawnmower.

Happy owner
By Carl on 04/17/10 14:41 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Feel lucky and happy I bought my Bravada at a VERY GOOD PRICE 4 years ago. It needed brakes and tires when I bought it. That's all I've done to the car. Now the service light came on and dealer can't fix it after spending $1000. Runs great! Paint is better than newer cars on the road. I'm amazed at all the extras it came with it, all power moon roof, driver seat windows mirrors and ALL WORKS!

Bravada, Edsel and Me
By proofed on 02/11/10 04:08 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Back again, To all of you that wrote those glowing reviews, I salute you and your luck. I do believe you are living in denial,however but that is my opinion. I have to tell the truth, yes, it is a beautiful car with luxury appointments etc and was wonderful for the two weeks that I didn;t have to work on it. It shines like a new penny, the leather is soft, but if it sits in your drive looking pretty, it is like a trophy wife who chooses to sleep on the couch. As I type, I have spent another night tracing ground faults, bad parts, and now suspect the keyremote unit for some of this. I already had it to the eletrician for a week and $500, who fixed only the low voltage standard for the engine

Bravada, our generation's EDSEL!
By proofed on 02/11/10 03:27 AM (PST)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

HI all, I am "mad as hell and I am not going to take ti anymore". Mostly at myself for buying what was meant to be a practical purpose, but the shine and the bells and the whistles sucked me in.To keep it as brief as possible, I bought this car as I needed a vehicle that could tow a boat and a small trailer. It fit the bill perfectly and I traded my SW2 Saturn Wagon, a good car, for this nightmare on elm street. I have been able to use it twice in two years to camp and to boat, a short trip. Overheating was # 1, Bad gas #2, complete cat replacement with 6 oxy sens #3,a 300 spider fuel injection unit #4,batt drain, as the genius who designed the switch made it too easy to leave on,more...

Not a bad car, Not great either
By 123 on 06/30/09 13:19 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have had this car for about 4 years. Bought the car used with 40k on it and now it is up to 100k. Have not had any major problems with it until now. The ball joints need to be replaced and the mechanic I took it to wants to replace all the seals and steering rods in the front with the ball joints. Other than that only small things have gone wrong with it. The fuel gauge broke and I replaced it and then it broke again so I just go by the mileage now. The car gets horrible gas mileage, An average of 12 to 15 mpg.

I got lucky !
By TommyBoy on 04/02/08 16:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased this from a private owner that bought a Saturn Vue. I drove from Ohio to AZ without issues but replaced the radiator and water pump after my arrival. Replaced brake rotors and calibers prior to departure. It drove through the snow without any problems so SmartTrak is very cool. One rust spot around the gas tank refill just starting to bubble. I have no other issues with this vehicle and plan on driving it into the ground. I owned a 93 Olds Delta 88 LSS before this and put 112K miles on it. I have always owned GM. There's currently 84K on the Bravada.

Best car I ever had
By Jim on 09/08/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love this car. I bought it used six years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble. I have replaced the ball joints and added freon to the air conditioner but that's about it. I love driving it around town and drive it to my lake cabin. It's a great hauler and I will keep it until it drops.

Worst Vehicle Ever
By CarOwner on 08/04/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This was the worst experience I have ever had with any vehicle. I had to replace the transmission at 56,000 miles, the alternator, serpentine belt, belt tensioner, brakes many times, major tune up at 60,000 miles, oxygen sensor, transfer case, complete air conditioning system, wiper motor, door hinge pins, many fuses, parts of the dash started falling off, idler arm, and last but not least an alighnment. I am sure I have forgotten something or many somethings. Please do not buy this vehicle, I lost so much money and it was so hard to resell due to its reputation. It is no wonder Oldsmobile is no more.

1997 Olds Bravada
By AKlein on 06/19/05 22:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Overall a great SUV. Worst part is the fuel consumption. Seem to get only about 22-24 mpg on highway. I have had lots of A/C problems and cant solve the problem even with repeated visits to dealership. Wipers also seem to choose when to stop working.

The Bravada Experience
By bravada on 05/27/05 17:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Oldsmobile Bravada SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my Bravada about 15 months ago and overall it has been a wonderful experience driving it. I never liked SUV's before, now I'm hooked. The I still like my cars, I believe I will always have a SUV to sit beside it. It's handling is pretty much natural and the style puts you right with the other big time wheelers at a very reasonable price and equal style, always meeting the look of many $40,000 - $50,000 SUV you see riding around. I brought mine for $6,000 and it sat with the most expensive SUV's in the city. It raved with compliments from all who seen and expeienced it.