Used 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aurora model:

Sharp looking, satisfying
By Darrell Tope

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy the look, comfort , performance and reliability of my Aurora. Combined city-highway driving average is about 23 mpg at speed limits. Handles moderate bumps a little stiff (like all three of the Oldsmobiles I have owned). I was expecting a little sportier ride (handling in the curves), but overall I am very satisfied with my Aurora. I wished GM had not discontinued them.

Body style, plenty of room, and acceptable gas milage for a big car.

I LOVE this car!
By Jerry

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This must be the last best built American car made! Sorry they decided to stop making them! GM has not been on the mark with it lately. I take this big boy down to Florida from NY and have all the comfort and 27 mpg! We have had the car for 2 years with no problems and this was a rental car at one time. Sorry to hear that some have had issues but there`s always a lemon!

Leather, moonroof and above all the ride!

Please bring it back so I can buy another!

Fun car, but many problems
By Aurorakoth

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is still fun to drive 3 years after I bought it. It gets looks quite often as it is almost one of a kind in my town. I actually seen another black one on the highway and the couple in that car waved in suprise. On the other hand, the reliability of this car has been awful. I bought it with 26,000 miles. I've had the water pump, secondary air pump, front end parts, stearing parts, and at 74,600 miles, right before the warranty expired, the transmission went out. The car has not been the same since. It shifts hard around 40 mph and the dealerships have tried to fix it, but have not succeded. I think it has to do with the O.D. Besides the expensive repairs, this is a great car.

Looks: sharp lines, real wood interior, nice looking engine compartment, pretty powerful feel, and not too soft not too hard suspension.

I would have suggested to Oldsmobile to put more quality in their parts, but the company is no more. This may be why. Too many problems? I will miss Oldsmobile. The cars did look nice.

Adios GM
By Treepusher

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Saying goodbye to GM after four Oldsmobiles and five years with the Aurora. A beauty. Loved it on the highway, stable, responsive, and extremely comfortable. Body and paint stayed in great condition, but way too much time in shop for repeated steering, water pump, transmission and other problems. Interior bulbs blew at regular intervals, spent half of ownership with 'check engine' light on. First name basis with all of dealer's service personnel. Greatly enjoyed the car despite the problems and will miss the design, but after thirty years of 'buying American,' have had enough of GM's hit or miss reliability.

Dashboard controls, comfort on the highway, and the beauty of the design. The white diamond paint was outstanding, and this car always looked classy.

I hope your wallet is loaded!!!
By Kstas

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

39,000(took ownership). 42,000 Major steering issues, still ongoing, dealer fixes and problem reoccurs 2 wks later. Dealer insists no problem & is trying to tell me to buy another set of tires when just bought a set at 43,500. Even put on new GM chrome rims, no help just better look. 43,636 camshaft folded (engine replaced)$50.00 deductible. 47,683 window regulator. 50,617 Brake booster seal (warranty). 56,391 Oil level sensor(warranty). 57,543 (leak) housing for license plate bulbs ($145 GM reimbursed). 65,077 water pump $50.00 deductible. 71,300 Transmission Input Speed Sensor($50 deduct) & Secondary Air Injection Pump(not covered $365 repair). Still costly even with extended warranty.

Position of radio, dimming rearview mirror, gas mileage, Onstar, heated seats, comfy for a roadtrip (you just have to put the steering issues out of your mind or it makes for an unenjoyable ride).

Figure out what causes the steering to be shoddy. Too many negative comments about the steering (no recalls???). I have only had my car for 19 months and have spent $2,800 towards routine maintenance, warranty deductibles, and problems. Thank goodness for the extend warranty or no roof on house!