2001 Oldsmobile Aurora - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Aurora model:
Awful Car - couldn't sell it fast enough
By az66bug on 08/15/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Last GM car I will ever buy, was a loyal GM fan until this piece of crap. These cars were around $40K new and 7 years old and could barely get $4500 with 96,000 miles on it - although I'd probably would have gave it away as much as I hated it. The 4.0 v8 always leaked oil - the oil pan gasket at $1500 a pop to replace; replaced water pump twice, struts were going, power steering leaked, sunroof broke and countless other problems. The only good thing I'd say is that it was comfortable and some what stylish design. Unless you get this car for free, I'd stay far way from this car, it will suck every penny out of you. To those with a great experience with this car - congrats and lucky you.

Eh...It's just OK
By terry1988 on 04/16/13 18:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

My Oldsmobile has been alright for the year that I had it. I've since then traded it for a Honda Accord. Engine and transmission were solid but there have been a few problems over the course of a year. Water pump, ($350) Power steering pump, ($200) Front-end wheel bearings, Tie rods, Front-end alignment, (650), A/C Compressor, (900). My car had an leaking oil issue to the point of going through 4 quarts in between oil changes. Interior quality wasn't very good - headliner falling down - door panel plastic crumbling. Great car but it's expensive to maintain.

Olds
By ameschen on 11/25/12 14:31 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my aurora in 2007 used with 138k miles on it, I'm around 202k now. I could not be happier with my first car. I've had little issues like changing a handful of sensors, and a fuel pump but spending a few hundred every once in a while is better than a car payment. It is pretty good on gas for being a V8 too, I live in the city and my average is 23 mpg. On the express way I get around 35 believe it or not! My Olds still has plenty of life left in it. I plan on keeping it until I run it into the ground and who knows I might look for another after.

Good car but has had some issues
By baitshop on 02/04/12 15:07 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at 30,000 miles and have put 100,000 more on myself. There were some issues with the steering about two years after I bought it, Olds. recalled the Alero for steering issues but not the Aurora however they have the same steering set up. The steering wheel mounted controls do not light up as they should. In the last two months I have started leaking oil and now I am looking to get rid of it all together. On the plus side, it has really good pick up, lots of extras, lots of power and it does well in all weather. Very safe too. It has been a good car for 140,000 miles but it is going to take some serious cash in the next year to keep it running.

Was good in the beginning
By Robin on 07/04/10 18:32 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Aurora with 40,000 miles on it. It was great nice smooth ride handled well and loved the set up inside. About 3 years ago I started having problems with the wheel barons and have replaced the front driver and passenger side about three times each. All the Windows don't work the motors inside all broke the sun roof leaks. The transmission leaks, the oil leaks I have to put almost 5 qt in between each oil change and I had to replace the alternator twice in one year along with many other things. I just put a brand new alternator in a month ago and had to buy a battery yesterday and my battery light is on and says check charging system and I don't know why. I regret buying this car

Nice
By RayRay on 06/15/10 22:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned 28 cars and this car has the best all round qualities. the people having issues with these cars obviously neglected their machine. mine has 176k miles and looks better than cars 1/10th its age. normal maintenance is expected with any car. 01-03 AURORA = 06-09 LUCERNE!

good to have
By freebird on 03/02/10 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle in 2008 from one previous owner it was in good condition with a few minor problems...slow oil leak..but other than that the car is great. I have not had any other problems..bet deal i have ever gotten.

Long term review (after 3 years)
By mtach3 on 02/26/10 17:27 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wrote my first review a month after I had it.I still love it after 3 years, but I had to replace the engine and tranny.The warranty I bought with the car covered ALL the repairs.The tranny was easy, but the engine was a problem.It kept overheating and it took 9 attempts before the dealership figured out the engine block had a clog.Because they kept returning the car to me without properly repairing it,the motor died.In the process they replaced every part of the cooling system.Finally,they replaced the motor with a brand new one from GM.Most of this issue was due to a bad service center.If they fixed it right the first time it would have cost them $400. Instead, it was $9,000. Duh!!

Long term owner
By CE on 10/29/09 09:36 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 4dr Sedan (4.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used as a GM "program" car and have never regretted purchase. I have put 104,000 miles on this beauty and it has never let me down. The exterior has held up exceptionally well and the interior as well. Had some warranty work on AC vents (plastic broke), replaced an actuator on the rear window, and have an oil pan gasket leaking (engine has to be removed to fix--won't do that). I am on my 2nd set of tires--the Michelins OEM tires went 65000 miles before I replaced and it looks like the ones on it now will go as far. Good ride and handling, fast as a snake, and comfortable on the road. Very quiet idling--that still amazes me, can't hear or feel it even after all these years.

My last GM car
By 3 Time Olds Owner on 10/21/09 17:22 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 3.5 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned 5 GM products but this is my last one. The car has needed $1500 in transmission work, $300 to fix a steering shaft, has suffered a leaking trunk and leaking sun roof, has various electrical gremlins, and has been an overall disappointment. Of the last 6 oil changes, only one visit was just for an oil change, in fact I've spent over $4000 in repairs in two years. Its no wonder why GM went bankrupt after owning this car.