Used 1997 Oldsmobile Aurora Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )

Great Car
By dkarnes

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

A great car have had since new,16years and 121,000 miles, nice style, power, good ride. No major issues, except leaks oil, minor trim issues with rubber seal around trunk, mirror comes loose and costs ~$600 to change plugs/wires. Had A/c compressor changed 3 times ( no charge, life time warranty)

Style, comfort and drivability, reasonable mileage!

More attention to the trim seal detail and what ever causes oil leaks

Love the Nana car
By nanaloveshers

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I bought my Aurora a year ago at an auction, I am only the second owner and it had 90,000 miles on it when I bought it. We were not in Modesto on preview day, so did not even know if it ran, but it was in such pristine condition and had such low mileage I took a chance. I paid $3000 for her, and she started right up and i have been in love ever since. This car looks as good as it did the day it left the showroom and while the in-town mileage is not very high, on the highway she gets between 27-34 mpg. My son the mechanic says with the low mileage I put on it and timely maintenance it should last me many years.

Climate controlled interior, i just set the temp I want the car to be and if it gets colder & the heater comes on if it get hotter. Absolutely LOVE the memory seats. My husband has long legs and I can barely reach the pedals when he puts the seat back, it remembers my setting and goes back to it automatically and all he does is put a button and it will go to his setting. I have never had a car with all the automatic options this one has. It practically drives itself.

Sadly this car has been discontinued so the only suggestion I would have is if someone would please make new ones just like it so when mine wears out I could get another.

I miss my Aurora!
By DMS

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I love this car however I don't have it anymore,but given the chance again I would go back to a V8 Aurora any given day. This car had every thing and It satisfied my need for 'power' and speed' performance was good enough for me.The 250 hp is great I have raced other cars who just thought this was an ole man car? oh man they were surprised. this is the only V8 car that I would purchase used again and again. pure American horsepower. i'm going to get another one really soon.

The dashboard was the best feature I was in control, everything is faced toward the driver, it felt like a airplane, the ENGINE 250 hp,the front end of the car looked like a shark and the tail end reminded me of the 'Tornado' the design of the car is AWESOME, the taillights i wished lit up all the way.

Nothing just Loved the car the way it was, and their is aftermarket kits for it too, this car is Bad. VROOM!

I Love Her
By Cindy

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I do love my car. She drives like a dream, she has all the little extras I wanted. I am 2nd owner & have had for nearly 10 yrs. Yes I have had to have some repairs and they were costly but to me worth it. ^The only problem Ive had is the radio/cd/cassette. I have purchased 2 new ones and both times the cassette has went out. And ever since I've had my girl she about every 3 to 4 wks I have to put 2 qts. of oil in. She doesn't leak oil or smoke. But it goes somewhere. Also the paint has flaked off really bad and I have noticed this in oter same year model Aurora's. She gets average gas mileage. I think I'll keep her. She's paid for and she has been good to me. Again I love my car.

All the extras and the leather seats. I love the sound system, except the cassette players are no good. Really cold air, Handles like a dream and when you need it My baby will get up and go. She'll scald ya. And not to mention she is a beauty.

Better paint and better cassette with radio/cd system.

So many good things and so many bad!
By twelveboy

1997 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it had about 75k miles on it and drove it for a year to about 89k miles. I loved the highway acceleration and the sound of the beautiful engine and quiet comfortable interior. However the rear seal on the engine leaked oil onto the exhaust manifold just under the engine which was a serious fire hazard and after paying $3000 TWICE, the problem was not fixed. Just after that a head gasket was blown. I traded it in as soon as I could!

Comfortable, engine sound, roomy.

Improve handling! My Aurora was very squeally on the tires! Too expensive to have work done under the hood-lots of time in labor costs because of the awkward engine mounting.