Used 1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )

I love my 1st gen Aurora
By dennis

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan 4dr Sedan

Have owned this 96 for less than a year. Its one of 5 cars that I own. I absolutely love it. I have never been someone who knows about or cares about cars before this car. I LOVE IT!!

Nice, but ....
By wkb2texans

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan 4dr Sedan

Ok, first let me say I love this car! It's 14 years old and it looks like a new car. It's got a design that seems ageless . The paint has held up amazingly well in this Texas heat . And the ride is both comfortable and powerful. The downside . The car is now on its 4th, count 'em, 4th a/c compressor. And when the compressor goes, so does the rest of the system. Which means the dash has to be pulled out. Which means a $1,500-$1,700 repair bill. The previous owner replaced the original compressor at 18 months, and I'm on my second compressor since buying it in 2003, having replaced it in 2004 and again in 2010. Last complaint: car's turning radius.

Powerful engine, love the look on the face of those who drive like idiots as I accelerate and leave them in the dust. Makes for much safer entering on to the highways and interstates, too. Ride is exceptional

better compressor reliability, better turning radius. (My Ford F-150 has a better turning radius!)

Solid Car
By Dan

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had originally purchased this car to use as a winter vehicle but now I plan to drive it for the foreseeable future. The ride is nice and smooth and I've had no major mechanical problems to date (knock-on-wood) The interior is very comfortable and it boasts some fancy climate controls. My Aurora was outfitted with the Bose Sound package and the audio is excellent (especially for a car of its age). The engine provides enough power to get the Aurora moving and I have no trouble passing slugs on the highway. Also, the gas mileage (I average 25 mpg) is good for a 12 year old V8 engine. The only gripe I have is the turning radius; it makes the widest turns (for a car) I have ever seen.

Heated Seats, 12-Disk CD-Changer, Driver/passenger split temperature controls, Aurora V8 Engine

Tighter turning radius, less weight/more power

Really, really tired of it.
By Trump

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan 4dr Sedan

Owned for 8 years. Have spent thousands keeping it on road. Only has 85K miles, but seems like I've replaced everything at least once. All the fuel injectors, shocks, various circuit boards, numerous O2 sensors, air conditioning compressor clutch, fuel pump, fuel tank (!) brake rotors twice, brake lines. I want to love this car, and I sort of do but I am sick of spending a fortune to keep in going. I am ready to sell it, and to just walk away.

Interior has always been wonderful. Heated seats are great. Lots of comfortable room for grown ups. Really big trunk.

They stopped making this a long time ago. It would have been nice to see an engine easier to work on. (Took me hours just to change spark plugs.)

Great Car
By Chris

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is not your typical GM car by any means. Most of its parts are not shared with other GM cars. It has a Northstar engine, Cadillac tranny, Bose accoustimass, and every feature imaginable. It beats the imports for acceleration, braking, and handling. It's not bad on gas considering it is a V8. This is a very reliable car that performs very well and caters with every creature comfort one needs.

I love everything about this car. The styling is timeless and still looks better than most new cars. It delivers A1 performance all around plus top notch luxury as well.

I have no suggested improvements, too bad they don't make it any longer.