1996 Oldsmobile Aurora - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (22 reviews )
Nice, but ....
By wkb2texans on 03/16/10 14:58 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

Ok, first let me say I love this car! It's 14 years old and it looks like a new car. It's got a design that seems ageless . The paint has held up amazingly well in this Texas heat . And the ride is both comfortable and powerful. The downside . The car is now on its 4th, count 'em, 4th a/c compressor. And when the compressor goes, so does the rest of the system. Which means the dash has to be pulled out. Which means a $1,500-$1,700 repair bill. The previous owner replaced the original compressor at 18 months, and I'm on my second compressor since buying it in 2003, having replaced it in 2004 and again in 2010. Last complaint: car's turning radius.

Solid Car
By Dan on 09/03/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I had originally purchased this car to use as a winter vehicle but now I plan to drive it for the foreseeable future. The ride is nice and smooth and I've had no major mechanical problems to date (knock-on-wood) The interior is very comfortable and it boasts some fancy climate controls. My Aurora was outfitted with the Bose Sound package and the audio is excellent (especially for a car of its age). The engine provides enough power to get the Aurora moving and I have no trouble passing slugs on the highway. Also, the gas mileage (I average 25 mpg) is good for a 12 year old V8 engine. The only gripe I have is the turning radius; it makes the widest turns (for a car) I have ever seen.

Really, really tired of it.
By Trump on 08/24/08 22:20 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

Owned for 8 years. Have spent thousands keeping it on road. Only has 85K miles, but seems like I've replaced everything at least once. All the fuel injectors, shocks, various circuit boards, numerous O2 sensors, air conditioning compressor clutch, fuel pump, fuel tank (!) brake rotors twice, brake lines. I want to love this car, and I sort of do but I am sick of spending a fortune to keep in going. I am ready to sell it, and to just walk away.

Great Car
By Chris on 03/18/07 22:18 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

This is not your typical GM car by any means. Most of its parts are not shared with other GM cars. It has a Northstar engine, Cadillac tranny, Bose accoustimass, and every feature imaginable. It beats the imports for acceleration, braking, and handling. It's not bad on gas considering it is a V8. This is a very reliable car that performs very well and caters with every creature comfort one needs.

Hate to Part with It
By Mark B on 02/17/07 21:15 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. It is now at 260,000 miles and going strong. It has had no major repair issues, but has needed a head gasket for a couple of years. I can't see putting that much money into a 10 year old car, so I plan to trade it in. I would buy another if they still made them.

Aurora, Out of This World
By darcy allarie on 01/12/07 08:03 AM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

This car is pure quality and comfort. Power back the sunroof, let the wind blow your hair, and let the 8 ponies propel you down the highway. The beautiful styling inside and out will keep amazing everyone including yourself every time we look at it. Wow, what a car!

A Roaring Aurora
By addsworld on 07/21/06 11:58 AM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I've been driving for over 40 years. The Oldsmobile Aurora is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Its performance is incredible, the Olds Rocket logo definetly applies to this car. For a ten year old car with over 100,000 miles, it's leak free and when under conservative driving it's possible to get 28 mpg. If there's a comparable American car available new, I'm all for it.

Mediocre
By OMAR on 04/13/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I've has this car for almost 2 years now. So far, I've enjoyed it. My girlfriend hasn't. She thinks the body's to big. I like the way it picks up. Whenever I'm at a red light I usually smoke everyone lined up with me. The leather seats are nice. The interior seems a little cheap. It has 3 lighters and none work. Also, it uses too much gas.

Sweet Ride
By JEFF on 08/09/05 17:15 PM (PDT)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

I have no problems with this car. It ride's very smooth and is very quiet cruiseing down the road at 70 mph. I have done no major repairs to this car. It drives and rides like a new car. Im very pleased with this car.

Rock On!
By Kevin Whittle on 03/08/05 16:55 PM (PST)

1996 Oldsmobile Aurora 4dr Sedan

This car is awesome! Takes eight quarts of oil, and high octane gas-so in this day and age its pricey. However, I find that it all evens out when I jump in the front seat! Because of the V8, it is a gas guzzler, but there is temendous power in the 4,000 lb. packed beauty. Superb on the highway, a whopping 26 miles to the gallon.