Used 2004 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 68 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Best Olds ever
By galaxybeing

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Alero owned by my wife and me. She has been driving her 99 Alero since 2000. A super car. She has 110,000 miles on it now and it is still a great looker and a terrific little speeder - especially with the K&N air filter, which make sit roar. Both aleros, I drive the 04 have the 3.4 engine, which I highly recommend to anyone considering buying an Alero. Great styling, too, for the price range. Keep Mobil 1 in the crankcase and the engine will always show the driver its appreciation. So far, the 99 Alero needed an alternator and a front strut replaced. As well, the hazard switch broke but will be repaired free under a recall order. The 99 is super fast - much faster than the 04,

Power (especially with Bosch Platinum + 2 plugs.

Gm should start making it again, but, why would the jackasses at GM want to give Americans another good car?

It was fun !
By Fun car

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 3 years. For the most part, I really liked it. It wasn't a roomy car. Taller people had a hard time with the leg room and the head room. There was some clinking noise behind the radio, they couldn't figure out. The driver's door window seal wasn't tight, and would sometimes leak water when it rained. In the winter time I had the most problems.The driver's door wouldn't latch tight when I shut it every time. I would have to spray W-D 40 on it for it to shut properly. The worst part was the brakes. If I hit snow or ice, especially going downhill, there was no stopping the car. The brakes sounded as if they were grinding, bad. All in all, it was a smooth ride.

I enjoyed the sunroof, the driver's power seat, and the being able to pop the trunk open from inside or with the remote. The seats were comfortable, it was good at turning, and I like the radio. It was a nice sporty little car, especially for the price. Gas mileage wasn't bad either.

Like I said ,the brakes could've stood some major improvements. The over-all soundness could have been built better. For a med. size car, it could have had a little more room in the front. Otherwise enjoyed it.

Don't even hesitate to buy one.
By PatrickD844

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2004 Alero for just over 3 years now. I bought it barely used with 15k on it, and now it has about 58k. It has been an exceptional car, starting every single time, and never letting me down. The only times it's been in the shop have been for maintenance/wear and tear items. A very well made car, and well worth the money I paid for it.

Styling, handling, fun to drive. Hugs the road like a sports car.

Seats are slightly uncomfortable during long trips. Lumbar support would be nice.

Quick and Sweet
By foxyfennec

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Olds Alero Coupe for almost two years...Oldsmobiles were a family tradition, and I was pleased to be able to own this classy little car before Olds was canned for good. I favor the Alero because it's not a dorky car, and it's not a boring Honda/Toyota. Its exterior design has a lot of personality and class. I get a lot of looks of approval in my little gal, and she's as stock as the day I bought her! So far, I have had ZERO problems with this car. She is very reliable and so much fun to drive. The Alero is quite possibly the most underrated car of the decade. Needless to say, I've gotten my money's worth, and a whole lot more.

I love the sleek design and having a modestly-priced, attractive coupe. My Alero is VERY eager to take off from a complete stop. It's amazing what that little 4-cyl Ecotec can do. She handles smoothly, the ride is comfortable, and I love the cozy interior.

A performance-bred model would have been neat. Not so tacky and boy racer-ish (like the EVO and WRX), but impressive - like a Porsche. America really needs a performance vehicle that ISN'T made for the trailer parks.

Alero - Often Overlooked
By foxyfennec

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

While the Olds Alero is not a super-awesome performance vehicle, it has made me very happy. It gets decent gas mileage, is pleasant to drive and own, and its styling gets a few looks. It's a good used car to have - I've had no problems with this car yet.

It should have been produced with more performance options. It's handsome enough to be a competitor.