Used 2004 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2004 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

The performance is horrible!
By oklahoma man

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a nice car. However, the performance stinks! It takes forever for the the throttle response to kick in. It's like they took this heavy car and put a go cart engine in it! It's loud but not powerful at all! Barley gets up to speed on the highway. I tried to go around a Sunfire and couldnt even do it! But every time I turn the key I know it will start. Oh and the handling is terrible too. And they dont make any performance or upgrades for this car! Nothing!

Favorite Features

Very reliable!

Suggested Improvements

Put a more powerful engine in this heavy beast!

good car
By Dana

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago used and it has not failed me yet. After I first bought it I had it checked by a mechanic and the only problem was a small leak in the transmissions right axle but the dealership fixed it for me after ordering the part and I haven't had any problem since. Great car.

Beats a run of the mill honda or Toyota
By 04aleroGLS

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Is it just me or does everyone and their brother either have a Honda or a Toyota. It gets kind of sickening to me they are everywhere. I took a trip From Richmond VA to S.C., i was getting 35 miles per gallon with the V-6! Who ever had it before me did not do any preventative care to the car, I had to put a lot of work into it but it was worth it, I have asked all of my friends to keep an eye out for any GLS coupes in the Tri-cities area, and we still have not found one. That is what is the best thing about them, they are few and far between. IF you like everyone looking at your car and wondering what it is buy it. I get double and triple takes all the time.

Favorite Features

leather seats, sunroof, the Rims, I have the upgraded rims and low profile tires.

Suggested Improvements

def. the CD player and the speakers, I am replacing my head unit and getting new rear speakers.

Inexpensive and Pleasing
By Foxy

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The standard 2.2 L engine in the Alero has a bit of torque and is peppy and fun to drive. The Alero coupe's appearance is classy, yet sporty enough to be an attractive car. I've owned my Alero for three years, and while it's not an envy-worthy car, I get great gas mileage, and it's been VERY inexpensive to maintain. I have had ZERO major problems with my car. I've only had to repair the lifter on the automatic window. Probably my fault it broke. I paid $10K for my car when it was a year old, and my payments are very low. I'd recommend the Alero for anyone (like me) who's fresh out of college, has a limited budget, and needs NICE, affordable transportation.

Favorite Features

Automatic seat lifter, beautiful appearance, gorgeous interior styling, comfort, good gas mileage, swift driving, good handling, side padding for the backseat (coupe model only), awesome A/C unit.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more treatment around the fog lamps - perhaps a mesh cover to protect them from chips. ABS SHOULD be standard. More functional cup holders, and a lock for the glove box would be nice.

great used buy
By chip

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent used car buy. Does everything well at bargain basement price. Last of the low cg gm midsize vehicles. Recently put 245 45 16 series bridgestone potenza tires and handling is phenomenal. (have owned corvettes, lotus, and Audi a-4 turbos) 6 cyl auto mpg over 26 at real speed (75 mph+).

Favorite Features

Reasonable backseat leg room. Excellent bang for the buck regarding performance and handling

Suggested Improvements

Too bad gm stopped making these more sophisticated rattle fee versions of Pontiacs.