Used 2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Most Helpful|
Inexpensive and Pleasing
By Foxy

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The standard 2.2 L engine in the Alero has a bit of torque and is peppy and fun to drive. The Alero coupe's appearance is classy, yet sporty enough to be an attractive car. I've owned my Alero for three years, and while it's not an envy-worthy car, I get great gas mileage, and it's been VERY inexpensive to maintain. I have had ZERO major problems with my car. I've only had to repair the lifter on the automatic window. Probably my fault it broke. I paid $10K for my car when it was a year old, and my payments are very low. I'd recommend the Alero for anyone (like me) who's fresh out of college, has a limited budget, and needs NICE, affordable transportation.

Favorite Features

Automatic seat lifter, beautiful appearance, gorgeous interior styling, comfort, good gas mileage, swift driving, good handling, side padding for the backseat (coupe model only), awesome A/C unit.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more treatment around the fog lamps - perhaps a mesh cover to protect them from chips. ABS SHOULD be standard. More functional cup holders, and a lock for the glove box would be nice.

Beats a run of the mill honda or Toyota
By 04aleroGLS

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Is it just me or does everyone and their brother either have a Honda or a Toyota. It gets kind of sickening to me they are everywhere. I took a trip From Richmond VA to S.C., i was getting 35 miles per gallon with the V-6! Who ever had it before me did not do any preventative care to the car, I had to put a lot of work into it but it was worth it, I have asked all of my friends to keep an eye out for any GLS coupes in the Tri-cities area, and we still have not found one. That is what is the best thing about them, they are few and far between. IF you like everyone looking at your car and wondering what it is buy it. I get double and triple takes all the time.

Favorite Features

leather seats, sunroof, the Rims, I have the upgraded rims and low profile tires.

Suggested Improvements

def. the CD player and the speakers, I am replacing my head unit and getting new rear speakers.

It was fun !
By Fun car

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 3 years. For the most part, I really liked it. It wasn't a roomy car. Taller people had a hard time with the leg room and the head room. There was some clinking noise behind the radio, they couldn't figure out. The driver's door window seal wasn't tight, and would sometimes leak water when it rained. In the winter time I had the most problems.The driver's door wouldn't latch tight when I shut it every time. I would have to spray W-D 40 on it for it to shut properly. The worst part was the brakes. If I hit snow or ice, especially going downhill, there was no stopping the car. The brakes sounded as if they were grinding, bad. All in all, it was a smooth ride.

Favorite Features

I enjoyed the sunroof, the driver's power seat, and the being able to pop the trunk open from inside or with the remote. The seats were comfortable, it was good at turning, and I like the radio. It was a nice sporty little car, especially for the price. Gas mileage wasn't bad either.

Suggested Improvements

Like I said ,the brakes could've stood some major improvements. The over-all soundness could have been built better. For a med. size car, it could have had a little more room in the front. Otherwise enjoyed it.

An excellent automobile
By TERRIFIC

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero. It has the 4 cylinder redesigned engine and I could not want more. The ride is very comfortable and the highway driving is exceptional. It hugs the road and "drives itself." I've never had a better steering car. GM got it right with steering ratio, turning effort, return, etc. its the best. Low noise level at highway speed is exceptional. NO wind noise. All around a great car. Also,factory speakers sound great, no need to upgrade.

Favorite Features

Steering. 4 cylinder engine performance. ride comfort and quietness.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design and colors.

Less than thrilled
By berniegir60

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Have had several problems - Have had to replace a couple of body bushings and @ less than 50K miles had to replace left front wheel bearing almost a year to the day later had to replace right front wheel bearing because of a bad sensor(would turn off ABS & traction control) nothing wrong with bearing, but cannot replace just the sensor. Only have 1 speed on the fan-high, so have to now replace the blower motor and with about 70K miles both rotors are warped and need replaced. The CD player does not always eject the CD properly. Turning radius is not good and city gas mileage is a little disappointing.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention