Used 2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2004 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

An excellent automobile
By TERRIFIC

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero. It has the 4 cylinder redesigned engine and I could not want more. The ride is very comfortable and the highway driving is exceptional. It hugs the road and "drives itself." I've never had a better steering car. GM got it right with steering ratio, turning effort, return, etc. its the best. Low noise level at highway speed is exceptional. NO wind noise. All around a great car. Also,factory speakers sound great, no need to upgrade.

Favorite Features

Steering. 4 cylinder engine performance. ride comfort and quietness.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design and colors.

Inexpensive and Pleasing
By Foxy

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The standard 2.2 L engine in the Alero has a bit of torque and is peppy and fun to drive. The Alero coupe's appearance is classy, yet sporty enough to be an attractive car. I've owned my Alero for three years, and while it's not an envy-worthy car, I get great gas mileage, and it's been VERY inexpensive to maintain. I have had ZERO major problems with my car. I've only had to repair the lifter on the automatic window. Probably my fault it broke. I paid $10K for my car when it was a year old, and my payments are very low. I'd recommend the Alero for anyone (like me) who's fresh out of college, has a limited budget, and needs NICE, affordable transportation.

Favorite Features

Automatic seat lifter, beautiful appearance, gorgeous interior styling, comfort, good gas mileage, swift driving, good handling, side padding for the backseat (coupe model only), awesome A/C unit.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more treatment around the fog lamps - perhaps a mesh cover to protect them from chips. ABS SHOULD be standard. More functional cup holders, and a lock for the glove box would be nice.

Less than thrilled
By berniegir60

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Have had several problems - Have had to replace a couple of body bushings and @ less than 50K miles had to replace left front wheel bearing almost a year to the day later had to replace right front wheel bearing because of a bad sensor(would turn off ABS & traction control) nothing wrong with bearing, but cannot replace just the sensor. Only have 1 speed on the fan-high, so have to now replace the blower motor and with about 70K miles both rotors are warped and need replaced. The CD player does not always eject the CD properly. Turning radius is not good and city gas mileage is a little disappointing.

Suggested Improvements

Too many to mention

It was fun !
By Fun car

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car for 3 years. For the most part, I really liked it. It wasn't a roomy car. Taller people had a hard time with the leg room and the head room. There was some clinking noise behind the radio, they couldn't figure out. The driver's door window seal wasn't tight, and would sometimes leak water when it rained. In the winter time I had the most problems.The driver's door wouldn't latch tight when I shut it every time. I would have to spray W-D 40 on it for it to shut properly. The worst part was the brakes. If I hit snow or ice, especially going downhill, there was no stopping the car. The brakes sounded as if they were grinding, bad. All in all, it was a smooth ride.

Favorite Features

I enjoyed the sunroof, the driver's power seat, and the being able to pop the trunk open from inside or with the remote. The seats were comfortable, it was good at turning, and I like the radio. It was a nice sporty little car, especially for the price. Gas mileage wasn't bad either.

Suggested Improvements

Like I said ,the brakes could've stood some major improvements. The over-all soundness could have been built better. For a med. size car, it could have had a little more room in the front. Otherwise enjoyed it.

Quick and Sweet
By foxyfennec

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Olds Alero Coupe for almost two years...Oldsmobiles were a family tradition, and I was pleased to be able to own this classy little car before Olds was canned for good. I favor the Alero because it's not a dorky car, and it's not a boring Honda/Toyota. Its exterior design has a lot of personality and class. I get a lot of looks of approval in my little gal, and she's as stock as the day I bought her! So far, I have had ZERO problems with this car. She is very reliable and so much fun to drive. The Alero is quite possibly the most underrated car of the decade. Needless to say, I've gotten my money's worth, and a whole lot more.

Favorite Features

I love the sleek design and having a modestly-priced, attractive coupe. My Alero is VERY eager to take off from a complete stop. It's amazing what that little 4-cyl Ecotec can do. She handles smoothly, the ride is comfortable, and I love the cozy interior.

Suggested Improvements

A performance-bred model would have been neat. Not so tacky and boy racer-ish (like the EVO and WRX), but impressive - like a Porsche. America really needs a performance vehicle that ISN'T made for the trailer parks.