2004 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
174,000 miles and still going
By danroberts1964 on 07/07/13 16:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car used 2 years ago and it now has 174,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. Only problems I have had was the fuel pump and the alternator went out. Oh and the pass key thing had problems but there is a easy fix for that if you Google it and it consists of a inexpensive diode being soldered into the wiring. Would I recommend this car even with the high miles mine has.... You bet I would.

Family Car
By aldhur on 01/05/13 21:55 PM (PST)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

For the price we paid, this is a wonderful family car. There is more than enough trunk space to carry our baby stroller and a full cart of groceries. Gas mileage is decent: we average between 20-25 MPG.

Unlikely to Recommend
By Lucky on 07/16/10 07:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2004 Alero v6 4 door. Let me put it this way, I have had the car for 6 years and there is a new problem every time I turn around. I have had the brakes and rotors replaced 3 times. The wiring harness behind the steering wheel was replaced once and needs to be replaced again. This car is a magnet for old people to hit. Now my car wont start. This has to be the worst car I have had. General maintenance isn't doing anything for this car.

An excellent automobile
By TERRIFIC on 11/15/09 07:14 AM (PST)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero. It has the 4 cylinder redesigned engine and I could not want more. The ride is very comfortable and the highway driving is exceptional. It hugs the road and "drives itself." I've never had a better steering car. GM got it right with steering ratio, turning effort, return, etc. its the best. Low noise level at highway speed is exceptional. NO wind noise. All around a great car. Also,factory speakers sound great, no need to upgrade.

Great Ride
By Ethan on 07/08/09 15:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

we bought this car with around 15,000 miles on it, and there is now around 96,000 on it, and the only thing i have ever had to do to it is have the passlock replaced and brakes, never one single problem with this car ever. this has to be one of the most reliable, bang for the buck, i have ever purchaced. i have even put on a magnaflow cat back and a K&N intake on it and watched the MPG rise even higher, on high way i can manage over 30+ mpg and i even have a V-6 and over 200hp now. if your in the market for a great car and by the years passing pretty cheap now. jump on it. im 26 and this is my 15th car and best one to date for reliability.

The performance is horrible!
By oklahoma man on 11/25/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a nice car. However, the performance stinks! It takes forever for the the throttle response to kick in. It's like they took this heavy car and put a go cart engine in it! It's loud but not powerful at all! Barley gets up to speed on the highway. I tried to go around a Sunfire and couldnt even do it! But every time I turn the key I know it will start. Oh and the handling is terrible too. And they dont make any performance or upgrades for this car! Nothing!

good car
By Dana on 07/30/08 10:46 AM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago used and it has not failed me yet. After I first bought it I had it checked by a mechanic and the only problem was a small leak in the transmissions right axle but the dealership fixed it for me after ordering the part and I haven't had any problem since. Great car.

Beats a run of the mill honda or Toyota
By 04aleroGLS on 07/27/08 17:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Is it just me or does everyone and their brother either have a Honda or a Toyota. It gets kind of sickening to me they are everywhere. I took a trip From Richmond VA to S.C., i was getting 35 miles per gallon with the V-6! Who ever had it before me did not do any preventative care to the car, I had to put a lot of work into it but it was worth it, I have asked all of my friends to keep an eye out for any GLS coupes in the Tri-cities area, and we still have not found one. That is what is the best thing about them, they are few and far between. IF you like everyone looking at your car and wondering what it is buy it. I get double and triple takes all the time.

Inexpensive and Pleasing
By Foxy on 06/21/08 13:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The standard 2.2 L engine in the Alero has a bit of torque and is peppy and fun to drive. The Alero coupe's appearance is classy, yet sporty enough to be an attractive car. I've owned my Alero for three years, and while it's not an envy-worthy car, I get great gas mileage, and it's been VERY inexpensive to maintain. I have had ZERO major problems with my car. I've only had to repair the lifter on the automatic window. Probably my fault it broke. I paid $10K for my car when it was a year old, and my payments are very low. I'd recommend the Alero for anyone (like me) who's fresh out of college, has a limited budget, and needs NICE, affordable transportation.

great used buy
By chip on 06/08/08 22:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent used car buy. Does everything well at bargain basement price. Last of the low cg gm midsize vehicles. Recently put 245 45 16 series bridgestone potenza tires and handling is phenomenal. (have owned corvettes, lotus, and Audi a-4 turbos) 6 cyl auto mpg over 26 at real speed (75 mph+).