2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Not a big fan, overall
By NeglectedMind on 09/07/10 22:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had so many problems with this vehicle, that it was really not worth the money I paid. I have replaced the brakes more often than I should have to, and have had numerous problems with the security system, that no one seems to be able to fix. I will take it into the shop, and they will temporarily fix the problem, and it will stop again. I have changed the spark plus, the ignition system, brakes, bearings, command start, and the clutch. It drives nicely when it is working, but not worth the money that I have had to put into it. All in all, I plan on buying a new car and ditching this lemon of an Olds. Do not buy!

A Lemon!
By Meeme on 01/19/09 12:04 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for ove a year now and I have put so much money into it that if I saved it all I could have paid this car off.. The pass lock locked my car first. 3 mechanics couldn't figure out what was wrong. All together $1000 fixed the problem. My Ford that I paid $1000 didn't give me as many problems as this! Brakes, bearings, spring coil, A/C, drum and the pass lock. All together well over $5000 put into it already! It makes me sick to my stomach. I will never again get an Oldsmobile! No wonder they shut down their production. The sound system is great but I would rather have a reliable car instead.

Basic GM Econo-box
By Jeff on 11/24/08 07:58 AM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. It was an ex-rental from California. I now have have about 63,250 miles on it and it has/had some problems. The passlock had to be replaced ($460), the suspension starts squeaking annually and I have to take it to the dealer to get it lubricated, and the CD player only takes CDs when it wants to. The 3.4L V6 is nothing to write home about either at 170HP. Based from what I've read, I've been lucky with this car. My dashboard hasn't started peeling and I haven't had to replace any pumps or bearings. Although functional, the interior seems cheesy. Also, this car can't handle in the snow. The rear end gives out even with good tires.

Down with the quickness
By ken on 10/01/08 00:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my alero in march of 05, it had 73,000 miles now in Oct of 08 117456 no problems replaced front brakes a year ago tops, and one tune- up. V6, power everything 0-60 5.4sec pretty impressive. rides a little rough I thought mine did great in the snow. Unplowed country roads after 8 inches of snow never got it stuck. it is a glorified grand am i would definitely own another one

Up In The Air
By mlzebe on 06/08/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero last year with 72,000 miles on it. I was loving it I thought it was a all around good car. Well it was until I started having this problem with the security system. Sometimes when I turn the car off, and go to start it again nothing happens except for the dash light coming on. I priced to fix and was told about $300 to 400 to fix. Besides that and the air drafts it's a nice car.

Great car for the price, few problems
By Chelle on 04/10/08 03:30 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this vehicle after totaling my Dodge Dakota. I am definitely more pleased with it than I was the truck. I read after we had the car for about a year that there were many complaints about it, especially the dash and inside door material peeling up. I have put quite a few miles, a lot of them aggressive-driving miles, and have only had the air go out (turned out that a cap was missing-less than a couple dollars to fix) and the ignition was not recognizing my key, so the car shut down. That cost me about 300. Also, sometimes blinkers quit working, then suddenly come back on. But so far, so good with anything Major.

starting car
By joyce on 04/07/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2003 Alero won't start. Had to have it towed to dealership. Don't know yet how come. Anyone else having problems with it not starting?

Nice cheap car
By Justin on 09/02/07 22:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car's nice. 3.4L v6 it has plenty of power. Good gas mileage 22 city 30 highway. I wish it had ABS or ETS but oh well. Good trunk space. Smooth drive. Poor quality though considering almost every 60degree v6 has a failing lower intake manifold gasket. I replaced mine once I got it around 77000 miles.

2003 Olds Alero at 47,100 Miles
By Alero owner on 01/28/07 22:57 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The dials and some buttons on the dash have had to be replaced under warranty. They have also lost some of their black coating, I am not sure why this happened. Also, the ignition switch went out at 38,000 miles.

So So, Nothing Special
By Dustin on 10/03/06 21:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

First off the brake design of this car is horrible. I've already had to put in new brake pads and have the rotors turned twice. The car has less than 50,000 miles on it. The gas mileage varies from 22 to 30 depending on oil changes, driving conditions...etc. Its seats aren't really that comfy and the interior looks cheap. You definitely pay for what you get. I won't ever by another GM, next time it's a Honda or Toyota.