Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Not a big fan, overall
By NeglectedMind

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had so many problems with this vehicle, that it was really not worth the money I paid. I have replaced the brakes more often than I should have to, and have had numerous problems with the security system, that no one seems to be able to fix. I will take it into the shop, and they will temporarily fix the problem, and it will stop again. I have changed the spark plus, the ignition system, brakes, bearings, command start, and the clutch. It drives nicely when it is working, but not worth the money that I have had to put into it. All in all, I plan on buying a new car and ditching this lemon of an Olds. Do not buy!

Stereo system is decent for a stock system. I get good gas mileage.

Everything! The security system on this thing is a joke, the brakes are always going wrong, it wears my tires out very quickly, bearings need to be improved, etc etc etc.

A Lemon!
By Meeme

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GX 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for ove a year now and I have put so much money into it that if I saved it all I could have paid this car off.. The pass lock locked my car first. 3 mechanics couldn't figure out what was wrong. All together $1000 fixed the problem. My Ford that I paid $1000 didn't give me as many problems as this! Brakes, bearings, spring coil, A/C, drum and the pass lock. All together well over $5000 put into it already! It makes me sick to my stomach. I will never again get an Oldsmobile! No wonder they shut down their production. The sound system is great but I would rather have a reliable car instead.

The sound system, that's it!

Take this car off the road. It's almost as if a blind man put this car together. The amount of money you will put into it is not even funny. It's like every time you start it you'll have to rub the steering wheel and say a little prayer!

Basic GM Econo-box
By Jeff

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car in 2005 with about 20,000 miles on it. It was an ex-rental from California. I now have have about 63,250 miles on it and it has/had some problems. The passlock had to be replaced ($460), the suspension starts squeaking annually and I have to take it to the dealer to get it lubricated, and the CD player only takes CDs when it wants to. The 3.4L V6 is nothing to write home about either at 170HP. Based from what I've read, I've been lucky with this car. My dashboard hasn't started peeling and I haven't had to replace any pumps or bearings. Although functional, the interior seems cheesy. Also, this car can't handle in the snow. The rear end gives out even with good tires.

I like how it looks from the front and for some reason or another, it gets a decent amount of attention when it's clean (I like to keep all my cars in great condition).

The car ain't made anymore, but higher quality interior materials would be nice, offer a decent engine (the 3.4L V6 is a dog and I'd hate to see what the 2.2L V4, especially in a 4-door, is like), and better electronics (I.E radio). Overall: the car will work, but it's got nothing to rave about.

Down with the quickness
By ken

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my alero in march of 05, it had 73,000 miles now in Oct of 08 117456 no problems replaced front brakes a year ago tops, and one tune- up. V6, power everything 0-60 5.4sec pretty impressive. rides a little rough I thought mine did great in the snow. Unplowed country roads after 8 inches of snow never got it stuck. it is a glorified grand am i would definitely own another one

V6 spacious interior

More room under the hood tune-up took 2 hours and cup holders could definitely use some looking at when it gets cold vinyl on steering wheel shrinks and blows horn continuously hilarious yes but not very funny at 2 in the morning

Up In The Air
By mlzebe

2003 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero last year with 72,000 miles on it. I was loving it I thought it was a all around good car. Well it was until I started having this problem with the security system. Sometimes when I turn the car off, and go to start it again nothing happens except for the dash light coming on. I priced to fix and was told about $300 to 400 to fix. Besides that and the air drafts it's a nice car.

The quick response when you get on the gas.

The security system needs to be redone all together.