2003 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
8 years with a used Alero.
By mlrobards on 11/12/13 18:05 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car when it was 5 years old, that was 8 years ago. I have had only one major issue with it. The drivers side window regulator has gone out and cost too much to replace. Never had issue one with the motor, struts, electronics (other than the regulator) If you treat this car right it will not let you down. Keep up with all regular maintenance and it will last years. Handles really well and an easy ride for long trips. Before you buy any new car make sure it was taken good care of. If it wasn't, walk away.

Worst Car Ever Owned; A Real Lemon
By joners on 09/28/11 11:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Paid 8,000 for car and put 3,000 into engine, mostly seals, major problem in coolent system, cracked engine block, the list goes on and on.... this was the worst engine GM ever built, I don't reccommend it. Replaced fuel pump, then it was needing repairs twice a year. Joined a class action lawsuit and GM got out of it by filing bankruptcy. If your buying an Alero plan on spending alot for repairs, due to cheap parts and a poorly running engine.

Problems
By Elly on 10/16/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had to replace the intake. It was covered under warranty. Then my rear defroster broke. It would cost me $100 because it was not covered under warranty. Now five years later my valves need to be replaced in the engine. What a joke. No warning. It started cutting out one day. Also last year 2008, I had to replace the wheel barrings in it.

Nice Ride!
By Temperob on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Well I just traded in my 98 Ford Contour Sport on a used 03 Alero. I was very happy with the Ford but this GM is making me smile every time I drive it. The brakes are a bit numb but they work like a champ, and the steering is a little vague but when driven hard this car really comes to life. It has a nice ride quality and a very pleasing exhaust note. So pretty much you can tool around down with the family or drive thought the canyon roads with confidence, good blend of Sport and Economy.

Solid Feeling Car
By luckybuck on 08/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The car has a surprisingly solid feel. With all the rebates and incentives I feel i got a great deal!

Not bad at all
By Russ Hoss on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Other than the driver seat feeling like its broken, I LOVE the car. I put about 400 miles a week on my car and it's really fun to drive. Actually, my wife has taken it from me and she is a diehard Honda fan.

Buy it and you'll regret it deeply
By loupie1 on 06/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 2002 GL2 4dr V6. While it handled quite well and had decent ride, it was typical GM junk. I can't stress enough the poor reliability of the car, but more importantly, the blatant disregard GM has for its customers. They DO NOT stand behind their questionable products. For example, brake rotors went at 19k miles while brake pads were not half worn. GM refused to pay. Ditto for intake manifold. I traded the PoS in, taking a heavy loss while doing so because it has the worst depreciation record of ALL compact sedans. I'm in a Mazda 6 now and love it. GM will not get another penny from me.

Good All Around Car Except For Seats
By Alf33 on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Everything about this car is good except for the bucket seats which are uncomfortable and way too hard. Unfortunatelly I didn't discover this until after it was too late to return it. The performance is good but accelerating when at a crusing speed of about 50 is sluggish if only moderate pedal pressure is used. It gets moving real good when it drops down a gear when you get into it more. The car has tons of great features, is nice to drive, and is more stylish than a lot of cars out there now. I got 30mpg on the highway during a recent trip and that was doing 70-75mph a lot of the time.

OLDS TO THE MAX!!!
By FiSh on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

A great car. This is my second car.... after a 2000 Inifiniti G20. This V6 is so awesome! I hope this car will last the rest of my life! Very powerful, excellent steering radius, and a well rounded car! Always fun to drive. I love speeding past those fancy BMW's on the highway! A MUST BUY!

Good
By Friendly Helper on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car as my second car. Before I was driving a 1994 Olds LSS. Even though this is a lower endmodel than the LSS was at the time it was made I tend to like this car more because it comes with alot of features such as cd which my old car did not have. The stereo was not as good as the lss unofrtunately, but what can you expect from a cheaper car I guess.