Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Not to happy
By jasonvqmzm2

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car this year, 2014. Had 144k miles on the car at purchase. Fuel pump went out at 146k and found it had been replaced before. Now, the anti-theft system is kicking in when going down the hwy and killing the engine. Ignition switch is jamming up and have to wiggle key to turn and start the car. Being told now that the ignition lock cylinder can fail causing anti-theft system fault and no start conditions. Have towed car home twice in last month because of this problem. GM won't issue a recall on this because they claim it isn't a safety issue. What is safe about your engine cutting off, going 70 mph on the interstate?

My Oldmobile Alero
By Kedibee

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with 63,000 miles on it. I have driven it for exactly two years now and have changed both bearings in front two times. Right now, it looks like I need to change them again. I will be driving it for straight 1700 miles, of course with sleeping breaks as long as 6 hours. I will know after this trip if this car is truly a good one.

Favorite Features

Body shape

Suggested Improvements

Better bearings needed for this car.

2003 Olds Alero
By alero_blues

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Alero in 2004, for 12K being a year old with only 23K on it, seemed like a good deal. Still paying it off today, have had the front rotor replaced, brakes, tires, battery, fuel pump and windshield replaced. The only problem I keep on having is a small water leak into the fuse box from somewhere around the windshield area, had it replaced, was good for a year, then it started leaking after a 3 day rain. By this point I am tired of dealing with the cost of trying to find the problem and just want a car that doesn't leak. I love my Alero, but i need something that is a little less water loving. Great design, like the seat and stereo set up, even though car is compact and comfy.

Favorite Features

Fast pick up, good fuel economy, alloy rims.

Suggested Improvements

None really, less leaky, I guess.

Great Car, so far.
By Chris

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car from a private dealer that buys wrecked vehicles at auctions and repairs them. The fact that it had a salvage title made me a little weary but I couldn't complain for $4500 and only 32k miles. The only problem I've had so far is the wheel bearings at around 45k miles, could be from wreck. Although the motor is strong for a 4 banger it could use a little more power from the get go. A little tip for the gas mileage, buy a k&n air filter and use Lucas fuel injector cleaner every oil change, I was getting about 28 mpg average and now 33 mpg average. I have had a problem with hydroplaning in heavy rain even with brand new tires maybe because the car sits so low to the ground

Favorite Features

Sporty look, reliable, and good ride (in good weather).

Suggested Improvements

None so far, hard to find a reliable car thes days, can't complain about minor repairs.

Loving It!
By Loving It!

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. What I really wanted was a grand am but i couldn't get one due to my credit so i got the closest one to it. I absolutely love this car! It has about 111K on it, it has a few squeals in the front i think its just because I hit a pothole too hard and the ignition sticks a bit but nothing serious so far. I love that it has that sporty feel to it and it beats the hell out of my Mercury Tracer I had.

Favorite Features

Cd player and high quality noise, heating system, the comfortable seats, and the sporty look and feel

Suggested Improvements

Fix the ignition prob seems like everyone has it and the noise made in the front