2003 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Not to happy
By jasonvqmzm2 on 06/10/14 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car this year, 2014. Had 144k miles on the car at purchase. Fuel pump went out at 146k and found it had been replaced before. Now, the anti-theft system is kicking in when going down the hwy and killing the engine. Ignition switch is jamming up and have to wiggle key to turn and start the car. Being told now that the ignition lock cylinder can fail causing anti-theft system fault and no start conditions. Have towed car home twice in last month because of this problem. GM won't issue a recall on this because they claim it isn't a safety issue. What is safe about your engine cutting off, going 70 mph on the interstate?

My Oldmobile Alero
By Kedibee on 11/12/08 14:09 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with 63,000 miles on it. I have driven it for exactly two years now and have changed both bearings in front two times. Right now, it looks like I need to change them again. I will be driving it for straight 1700 miles, of course with sleeping breaks as long as 6 hours. I will know after this trip if this car is truly a good one.

2003 Olds Alero
By alero_blues on 11/10/08 11:03 AM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Alero in 2004, for 12K being a year old with only 23K on it, seemed like a good deal. Still paying it off today, have had the front rotor replaced, brakes, tires, battery, fuel pump and windshield replaced. The only problem I keep on having is a small water leak into the fuse box from somewhere around the windshield area, had it replaced, was good for a year, then it started leaking after a 3 day rain. By this point I am tired of dealing with the cost of trying to find the problem and just want a car that doesn't leak. I love my Alero, but i need something that is a little less water loving. Great design, like the seat and stereo set up, even though car is compact and comfy.

Great Car, so far.
By Chris on 07/25/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my car from a private dealer that buys wrecked vehicles at auctions and repairs them. The fact that it had a salvage title made me a little weary but I couldn't complain for $4500 and only 32k miles. The only problem I've had so far is the wheel bearings at around 45k miles, could be from wreck. Although the motor is strong for a 4 banger it could use a little more power from the get go. A little tip for the gas mileage, buy a k&n air filter and use Lucas fuel injector cleaner every oil change, I was getting about 28 mpg average and now 33 mpg average. I have had a problem with hydroplaning in heavy rain even with brand new tires maybe because the car sits so low to the ground

Loving It!
By Loving It! on 06/19/08 04:10 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car. What I really wanted was a grand am but i couldn't get one due to my credit so i got the closest one to it. I absolutely love this car! It has about 111K on it, it has a few squeals in the front i think its just because I hit a pothole too hard and the ignition sticks a bit but nothing serious so far. I love that it has that sporty feel to it and it beats the hell out of my Mercury Tracer I had.

seems to give me no problems
By alero 03 on 04/21/08 18:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car with 25,000 miles on it, and i seem to have no problems now with 43,000 miles. New brakes would help. But i love my car, very reliable!

goodbye to the almighty alero
By manda on 04/15/08 21:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Alero for 2 years now. It was my 1st car and at first I loved it. The sound system in it is great but thats about it. I have had to replace both front bearings on it every 6 months and is crazy expensive to do being a college kid. It was a good 1st car to me but I need something more reliable.

Glad I bought the Extended Warranty
By Bill on 02/07/08 12:44 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 12K miles on it. Came off of a fleet lease. No problems the first year. In the 2nd year had to replace right front wheel bearing, 6 months later the left front wheel bearing 35k miles on it. At 55K had to replace the fuel pump and some additional parts associated with the fuel system. At 74k had to repair and replace many parts of the air conditioning system. Good thing I had the extended warranty total repairs come to $4800. This car is a glorified Grand Am. Will not consider another GM vehicle after this car experience. Hello Honda/Toyota.

Suprised it's not a Honda!
By R W on 07/09/07 11:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it with 20,000 miles. I owned 3 Honda's before this one and I didn't enjoy the reliability. I've only replaced an alternator (93,000 miles) and a fuel pump (91,000 due to a very bad tank of gas). That's it outside of regular oil changes, brakes, and tires. This is the best money I've ever spent on any car. It still runs like it is brand new. For a 4 cyliner it is quite peppy, more than the Honda Civic that was $2K more than the Alero at that time Now, it's 2007 and I can't find Alero's anymore? That's OK. Mine runs fine. I'll keep driving it. GM should re-open the Olds Alero line. This is the best 4-cylinder car for the money GM has made!

2003 Olds Alero
By JAMMINJED on 04/02/07 15:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

It's been a great vehicle. It has a sporty feel to it even with the 4 cyl engine. I can get from 0-60 in about 7 seconds easy. It's not bad for only 140hp and a heavier car than most with this size of engine. I love the sharp turns and handling.