2003 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Not to happy
By jasonvqmzm2 on 06/10/14 15:44 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car this year, 2014. Had 144k miles on the car at purchase. Fuel pump went out at 146k and found it had been replaced before. Now, the anti-theft system is kicking in when going down the hwy and killing the engine. Ignition switch is jamming up and have to wiggle key to turn and start the car. Being told now that the ignition lock cylinder can fail causing anti-theft system fault and no start conditions. Have towed car home twice in last month because of this problem. GM won't issue a recall on this because they claim it isn't a safety issue. What is safe about your engine cutting off, going 70 mph on the interstate?

8 years with a used Alero.
By mlrobards on 11/12/13 18:05 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car when it was 5 years old, that was 8 years ago. I have had only one major issue with it. The drivers side window regulator has gone out and cost too much to replace. Never had issue one with the motor, struts, electronics (other than the regulator) If you treat this car right it will not let you down. Keep up with all regular maintenance and it will last years. Handles really well and an easy ride for long trips. Before you buy any new car make sure it was taken good care of. If it wasn't, walk away.

I definitely got my money's worth
By kjr75 on 02/11/13 07:54 AM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new 2003 Alero back in June 2003. I definitely got my money's worth as I just passed the 183,000 mile mark. Sad to say the time has now come to get a new car as there are issues with the cylinder heads under the gasket not responding and long story short Pep boys wants to charge $3,000 to replace. The car itself is probably worth 1k with as many miles on it. After 9.5yrs and 183,000 miles it definitely has done it's job. Looking for either a new Sonata Turbo or used 2012 Buick Lacrosse. I don't think I can go wrong either way as I take these cars to the grave so I really dont care much about resale value.

seems reliable to me
By geri7 on 01/09/12 16:33 PM (PST)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't seemed to have any serious problems with my '03 Alero, which is now at 201,700 miles. Just some part that needed to be replaced, which included my fuel pump, but that was my fault, because I hated so much to stop and get gas, and my gas will always be on empty. And a harmonic balancer and something that has to do with the drivebelt. But that was just very recent. So, I have to say, my car has served me 'very well'. But, 3 of my windows don't work anymore. But I can live with that. Those aren't the parts that matter anyway. Very satisfied with my car. Oh, love the stereo.

Worst Car Ever Owned; A Real Lemon
By joners on 09/28/11 11:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Paid 8,000 for car and put 3,000 into engine, mostly seals, major problem in coolent system, cracked engine block, the list goes on and on.... this was the worst engine GM ever built, I don't reccommend it. Replaced fuel pump, then it was needing repairs twice a year. Joined a class action lawsuit and GM got out of it by filing bankruptcy. If your buying an Alero plan on spending alot for repairs, due to cheap parts and a poorly running engine.

Not a big fan, overall
By NeglectedMind on 09/07/10 22:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had so many problems with this vehicle, that it was really not worth the money I paid. I have replaced the brakes more often than I should have to, and have had numerous problems with the security system, that no one seems to be able to fix. I will take it into the shop, and they will temporarily fix the problem, and it will stop again. I have changed the spark plus, the ignition system, brakes, bearings, command start, and the clutch. It drives nicely when it is working, but not worth the money that I have had to put into it. All in all, I plan on buying a new car and ditching this lemon of an Olds. Do not buy!

Problems
By Elly on 10/16/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I had to replace the intake. It was covered under warranty. Then my rear defroster broke. It would cost me $100 because it was not covered under warranty. Now five years later my valves need to be replaced in the engine. What a joke. No warning. It started cutting out one day. Also last year 2008, I had to replace the wheel barrings in it.

So far so good
By sharon on 08/04/09 20:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My alero 2003 has been so far pretty good. Going on a 2,000 mile trip within the next couple of days. Only problem I have is front driver side tire seems to have problems - rotate every 2,500 miles and gas mileage not the greatest. Used to buy Fords but they have the worst paint jobs in my opinion. Rust out. Chev's never have rusted; my dad always bought Oldsmobile so thought I would take his advise.

Okay Car
By Marissa on 06/15/09 19:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car about 8 months ago and have put lots of mileage on it. I have replaced 2 front rotors and brakes and drivers side window regulators. The interior is made real cheap and you can tell, and stereo keys fell off within weeks of having the car, but it has been pretty much reliable. I would not buy another one, but its been okay while it lasted.

Awesum lil ride
By Steven on 04/04/09 12:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine in 05 w/ 9,000 miles. now has 120,000. has NEVER let me down. Only minor maintenance costs so far except for the intake gasket, which the dealer covered. Ive customized mine with a new wing, body kit, tinted glass and fancy wheels, and it turns heads everywhere I take it. Both my sons are jealous and want me to hand over the title. (not gonna happen!!!)