Used 2003 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2003 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Not to happy
By jasonvqmzm2

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought the car this year, 2014. Had 144k miles on the car at purchase. Fuel pump went out at 146k and found it had been replaced before. Now, the anti-theft system is kicking in when going down the hwy and killing the engine. Ignition switch is jamming up and have to wiggle key to turn and start the car. Being told now that the ignition lock cylinder can fail causing anti-theft system fault and no start conditions. Have towed car home twice in last month because of this problem. GM won't issue a recall on this because they claim it isn't a safety issue. What is safe about your engine cutting off, going 70 mph on the interstate?

8 years with a used Alero.
By mlrobards

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car when it was 5 years old, that was 8 years ago. I have had only one major issue with it. The drivers side window regulator has gone out and cost too much to replace. Never had issue one with the motor, struts, electronics (other than the regulator) If you treat this car right it will not let you down. Keep up with all regular maintenance and it will last years. Handles really well and an easy ride for long trips. Before you buy any new car make sure it was taken good care of. If it wasn't, walk away.

Favorite Features

Body, interior, stereo, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats. Silly to suggest anything. Seeing how they are no longer making this car.

I definitely got my money's worth
By kjr75

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a new 2003 Alero back in June 2003. I definitely got my money's worth as I just passed the 183,000 mile mark. Sad to say the time has now come to get a new car as there are issues with the cylinder heads under the gasket not responding and long story short Pep boys wants to charge $3,000 to replace. The car itself is probably worth 1k with as many miles on it. After 9.5yrs and 183,000 miles it definitely has done it's job. Looking for either a new Sonata Turbo or used 2012 Buick Lacrosse. I don't think I can go wrong either way as I take these cars to the grave so I really dont care much about resale value.

Favorite Features

Reliability...still gets good pep after all these years and miles. Good speaker quality as I listed to my Sirius satellite radio through the auxillary input (via tape deck) ..yes that shows its age but the sound quality is very good I must say.

Suggested Improvements

They dont make Oldsmobiles anymore so no need. I will say that a lot of people I talk with also givehigh marks to Oldsmobiles as they do last long. Add my name to the list with 183,000 mile on it.

seems reliable to me
By geri7

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I haven't seemed to have any serious problems with my '03 Alero, which is now at 201,700 miles. Just some part that needed to be replaced, which included my fuel pump, but that was my fault, because I hated so much to stop and get gas, and my gas will always be on empty. And a harmonic balancer and something that has to do with the drivebelt. But that was just very recent. So, I have to say, my car has served me 'very well'. But, 3 of my windows don't work anymore. But I can live with that. Those aren't the parts that matter anyway. Very satisfied with my car. Oh, love the stereo.

Worst Car Ever Owned; A Real Lemon
By joners

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Paid 8,000 for car and put 3,000 into engine, mostly seals, major problem in coolent system, cracked engine block, the list goes on and on.... this was the worst engine GM ever built, I don't reccommend it. Replaced fuel pump, then it was needing repairs twice a year. Joined a class action lawsuit and GM got out of it by filing bankruptcy. If your buying an Alero plan on spending alot for repairs, due to cheap parts and a poorly running engine.