2001 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Typical GM Quality

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan - Consumer Review

Typical GM Quality
By GMCustomerNoMore on

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The one thing I can count on with the Alero is that I'll have to spend $600 every year to replace a wheel speed sensor. The brake rotors warp, it has hard starting, it needed a head gasket replacement, it has shaky side mirrors, it has a terrible front cup holder design, and now it has an intermittent power window problem with the driver's door. These problems have all piled up to ensure that my next car will not be from GM. At least my car is stylish (okay, for 2001 maybe), fun to drive, peppy, and has never left me stranded at the side of the road (knock on wood). I don't know why GM insists on using replacement wheel speed sensors with the same defect as the original, and why they can't make the 3.4L start like every other car -- only 2-3 seconds of cranking!

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable, exterior design is attractive, gauges are well laid-out, and I like the automatic headlamps.

Suggested Improvements

Ha ha, little too late for this one -- properly desgned/built wheel speed sensors and brake rotors. Acknowlegement from GM that the starting issues are abnormal...