2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Alero: A Lemon for Every Regreting Owner
By Mr. Nvrownaoldsagain on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have about 34K on this car it is my wife’s. It has been in the shop WAY too many times for minor repairs. Although once for the transmission slamming into gear when we were moving cross country. The paint is falling off the door trim and its been 2 months and the dealer can not get the part from GM? It had 3 mirrors put on the drivers side because of shaking and they cant fix that. When it is not in the shop it does ride nice, is comfortable and stylish. But it's poor build quality makes us despise the car.

UNDERRATED
By Dan Mummert on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great car, very underrated can be very quick with a few performance mods.

All About Alero
By Alero Owner on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is fun to drive. The only thing that has happened to it is the leather wrap around the hand brake needs to be re-stitched. There have been no mechanical problems at all. Not much leg room in the back, especially with for kids in car seats. They will probably get their legs broken if we get in an accident. Other complaint is the small gas tank. Only holds fourteen gallons. Most I can go without having to re-fill is a little over 300 miles per tank. Around town, only about 270 miles per tank. Great car if you don't have kids.

Where can I buy another one!!
By flyboy on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Alero new in 2001. It is used as a commuter for teenagers. We also own an Eclipse, but are looking for a second Alero and will sell the Eclipse. The Alero is safe, handles well and provides the kids with the ability to take themselves and a couple friends to a movie and spares the back seat passengers unnecessary gymnastics.

Where can I buy another one!!
By Flyboy on 10/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Alero consumer
By Rosebud on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My alero has been reliable and economical. I like the design and it has many features for a small car. Overall impression is very favorable

Best Midsize Car
By on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Alero after heavy consideration and comparison. Over a year later I am 100% sure I made the right decision. The car’s handling, ergonomics and styling are excellent. This car has given me a newfound love of driving. Resale values are poor, but I will not be selling it anytime soon. The six-cylinder engine moves this car well, with plenty of acceleration. The seats are comfortable and supportive. The cloth seats are very nice but the leather is cheap feeling. To sum it up, if my Alero were totaled in an accident today, I would go out and buy another one.

Maybe the last
By ae3beck on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My father works for GM, so I decided to go with this car, but even with an employee discount you will lose BIG on resale value. GM customer service is terrible. I have never seen someone give this kind of service after you spend $20K on there product, never, they act like you should prove problems with the car were not caused by you. I am looking to get rid of this car before my resale drops another 8 thousand dollars, thats what it did the first year we owned it.

Alero = "lemon"
By Timo on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

In the last nine months I've had the Alero, I've had to bring it in to have warranty work done 4 different times. It feels cheaply made and has proven itself to be just that. I expected alot more.

You'll take the long way home from work.
By Bork on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The car is a real thrill to drive, with plenty of zip off of stoplights to take care of Civics and Eclipses. The handling is aggressive and crisp, and the acceleration is outstanding. The engine has a nice growl to it, if you like that sort of thing. I've definately gotten nothing but positive comments from friends and strangers. My major complaints are with rear visibility, due to the high back end, and the extremely large tailights. They're unique, but they're a blaitant attempt to shed Oldsmobile's "your father's car" steriotype.