Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Most Helpful|
GM Strikes (Out) Again!!
By Sharrrona

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Alero with the highest of expectations. The car is very aestetically pleasing and is fun to drive. Unfortunately that is not enough to make up for the GM reliability. The sticker priceon my car was $22,000 and I paid $18,000 and thought I was getting a deal. 3 years and $6000 in repair bills later, I beg to differ. Please steer clear from this and other GM Products!!! Great car if you have the occasional grand to put in it.

Favorite Features

I like the overall style of the car and the power. I also like my sound and sun package.

Suggested Improvements

Everything mechanical!!

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

Favorite Features

It looks good.

2001 ALERO
By Gayla Smith

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Security light comes on and will start. This started off and on after the constant blinker noise that drives me nuts. The dealership supposedly fixed the blinker, the very next day is started doing it all over again and now the security light comes on and the car WILL not start! Called GM they said they have no issues or complaints about this! No recalls ! I have numerous other issues but this is the main one.. NOT reliable and will never buy GM again!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing now- they dont make it anymore! wont buy another GM EVER!!!

My last GM product
By tkt2ride

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have ever owned. All 4 electric window regulators (motors) replaced. Brakes are simply defective. Passlock/key caused four trips to the shop. Turn signals. Battery. Three radios.

Suggested Improvements

GM needs to improve their quality and not reduce their prices as they are doing.

Lemon
By Lemon

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

Favorite Features

It's a pretty car.

Suggested Improvements

The entire vehicle needs to run well, not just look good.