2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
2001 Alero GLS 4 door
By 3and14 on 11/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased an Alero GLS in Feb 2001 and have not regretted it in the nearly 3 years since. The handling and braking with the performance suspension is excellent, although the steering is a little quick at highway speeds. The car has been very reliable with the exception of brake pads and rotors that wore out prematurely (22K), a common Olds problem. For the money, this seemed to be the best choice at the time and nothing has made me question that decision. Too bad Olds is going away as what's left in GMs lineup for the foreseeable future doesn't do it for me.

Overall--I really like the 4 door GLS
By richinatlanta on 10/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I did a lot of travel in 2000 and ended up renting the Alero several times. I really liked the layout of the interior and when I got a GLS version, the 6 cylinder had plenty of power. I was able to find exactly the model I wanted at a local dealer when GM was offering incentives, so I got a fully loaded 2001 silver model. The problems have been minimal in my opinion, and the build quality is ok for an American car, much better than I remember after owning several foreign models. Make sure to get the handling package option. I would recommend the car based on my experiences.

Not too many problems...
By mynameisalreadyinuse on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't really had too many problems. In fact, the only one's I've had were minor. I did have one that upset me, though. Both of my fog lights shattered and I needed to buy new ones. Other than that, my car still looks new and runs great (for having 50k miles on it)!

Backaches galore
By desiresnewcar on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Alero for a little over 2 and a half years and it's time to get rid of it! Unfortunately, I'm going to loose a lot of money because resale is HORRIBLE, on these cars!

Allero 2001
By unixit on 09/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is an Alero V6, GLS model. The car is fast and the v6 easily pushes the car down the road. Lots of nice interior dials and controls. Great Service from the dealership! Sporty car.

Bad Brakes
By jtskitty on 09/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I have pleased with the vehicle. The main problem I have experienced has been the brakes. We had to replace brakes & rotors at only 30,000 miles and they still make a grinding noise with the new brakes. This is a definite manufacturing/design flaw on Oldsmobile's part. Brakes are not something you should short change on a car. This is a definite safety issue. The second issue I have is that the service engine soon light came on & won't go off. The third issue is a lagging starter. Sometimes it works beautifully & then others I have to prime it to get it to start.

Pretty car, poorly built
By tnm on 09/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for nearly 3 years now. I regret my purchase. The Alero has nice styling, decently performs, but is very poorly built. Rotors warp easily, the doors leak, the A/C leaks into the dash, door panels warp easily, the dashboard creaks/squeaks, and now a recall for the hazard flashers. Body panel fit is lousy, and the switchgear is cheap. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.

Good Alero!
By eldo on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great small car. I traded a compact SUV in on this and I do miss the added room in the SUV compared to this car. The room is adequate with the rear seats folded down. It has very good performance and seems tight and quiet. The ride is solid and handling is great with the 50 series, 16" GoodYear Eagles that came on it! I had two small problems; the outside, drivers side mirror and the inside rear view mirror came off. Both problems were taken care of on the spot and the dealer people were very courteous. No complaint with service! I feel this car is just as good as imports from Japan in the same price range!

GM Strikes (Out) Again!!
By Sharrrona on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Alero with the highest of expectations. The car is very aestetically pleasing and is fun to drive. Unfortunately that is not enough to make up for the GM reliability. The sticker priceon my car was $22,000 and I paid $18,000 and thought I was getting a deal. 3 years and $6000 in repair bills later, I beg to differ. Please steer clear from this and other GM Products!!! Great car if you have the occasional grand to put in it.

2001 Olds. Alero review
By TONY on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The car has been in for warranty repairs about 5 times for different failures, incl. the rear speaker, oil leak at the intake (2 times), spark plug wire, warped brake rotors, and warning brake light stays on. I currently have 55K miles on this car and it came with a 60K ext. warranty and I have used the extended warr. several times. The 3.4L 6cyl. is underpowered compared to my 1995 Grand Am w/ the 3.1L 6cyl. If I had to do it again I would not buy this particular vehicle.