Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Average
By Willie

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.

The radio, style, looks, power, and sunroof.

Give it better quality speakers, more power, and better gas millage

Lemon
By Lemon

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

It's a pretty car.

The entire vehicle needs to run well, not just look good.

Headache!
By Michelle

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Needless to say, this car is starting to spend more time in the shop than on the road. I just got a new transmission but this jerking issue still persists. The brakes continue to be a problem. We have had to fix the window on the driver side and recall for the hazard lights. This good looking car is a real mess! If anyone has the opportunity to by an Alero, run the other way. There is a good reason why they stopped making this car!

There are a lot of fun features with this car that I didn't have before. One that I really like is that the radio will run after the power to the vehicle is off until the door on the driver side opens.

Recall all the Aleros and give the owners a better, more reliable vehicle. What a shame and a waste of money!

Ignore the naysayers
By Jeff

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at 38,000 miles and put 53,000 miles on it. It has needed the kinds of repairs every car needs - a new thermostat, starter, and a power-window motor. I also had to get new wheel bearings for the front wheels. The one bad thing is the rims. 3 of them are bent, but I do live in New York City. Everyone says they're pretty cheap though. Otherwise, it's a fun, zippy car to drive and the GLS model with a moonroof and spoiler is a good looking car.

It handles well and is good looking.

Improve the rims. The engine is ridiculously tight and compact so that you have to take out 30 components just to replace basic parts, i.e. thermostat and oil filter.

Bucket of Bolts
By Dave

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Whoever designed this car never drove it. It has poor quality, features that were poorly designed, and poor fuel economy for a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car. The engine has a fair amount of power, but the cockpit layout is not convenient. There is a sensor in the stereo that increases volume with speed, but there are no pockets in the doors for maps. It gets the exact same gas mileage that my '92 Grand Am with the 3.3L V6 and 3 speed auto transmission got. The interior feels cheap and pasticy (a hallmark of GM cars over the last 20 years). When the car was 40 months old (and the warranty expired) the emergency brake lever stopped working and the intermittent wipers went on the fritz.

It's red.

Put cupholders in places that are not in the way. I'd rather have pockets in the doors for maps than a sensor that turns the headlights on for me. GM should build a car that doesn't leave me vowing never to buy another one of their products again.