Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

No more GM cars!
By Luke

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used at about 60,000 miles and have put on another 60,000 driving to school/work. Driving and fuel efficiency aren't bad (although there's a big difference between winter and summer MPGs), but maintenance is a constant headache. I was actually vindicated to read on some of these other reviews about problems I've had: the leaky gasket issue, wheel bearings, starters, etc. Overall a sub-par vehicle which was obviously designed to last about 70-80 thousand miles and then be thrown away. Next car: something dependable like a Toyota or Honda - if my Alero is still worth anything at trade in when I can finally pay off the loan, that is.

Decent engine power, can be driven quite fast and still in control. Nice premium rims. Nice stereo features ( especially the "song info" feature). Beyond the flash, however, basically it's a husk of what a quality car should be. Dealers do notice this and take advantage by overpricing it, too.

Too late now - Oldsmobile's gone! If you own an Alero or are considering buying one, though, I'd suggest you improve your car to something better and more reliable.

GM trash
By Malone

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I may run out of characters so let's get started. 3 wheel bearings at $150 a pop each, rear defroster broke at 90k, still not fixed, ABS sensor malfunctioning, still not fixed, 4 sets of brakes and rotors and two sets of calipers, fuel pump and sending unit, $425. Clunking in the front end leaning towards rack and pinion, can't wait for that bill. The drivers side door window fell off yesterday. Tie rod last month. 2 fuel injectors. I love the USA, but this will be the last American made vehicle I will ever purchase.

A roll cage so it can be used for demolition derby purposes or melt down the metal and use the material for paper clips.

Not Impressed
By Tony

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

If you happen to purchase this vehicle and their is a option to get an extended warranty I would highly recommend it. Very unhappy with the mechanical problems. At 58k I had to replace both front wheel bearings. Blower switch would only operate at high speeds. Replaced thermostat. The big one was at 78k the head gasket had to be replaced. Thirteen months later had to replace another front wheel bearing, ($500) out of my pocket because the warranty expired. The best investment in this vehcile was paying $35 dollars to transfer the original warranty to my name. Design of the interior isn't to bad except for cup holders in front. Gas mileage is good for a 3.4L, 26 city 31 hwy.

Gas Mileage, decent acceleration.

Reliability of engine and wheel bearings.

Done with GM
By Terry

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Alero brand new and have had too many service issues with this car. Brakes, water leaks, windows, rear defroster, blinkers, security system. I will never buy another GM product again. This was my first brand new car and all the used cars I had previous to this one had better service records. What bothers me the most about this car is that GM/Oldsmobile really did not step up to the plate on this car. I even wrote to Oldsmobile headquarters - they only gave me some free oil changes! The only reason I keep this car is that it's paid for, but thinking of trading in before it gets too bad. Shame on you GM and Walier's in Keene NH!!

Pretty car, stereo, auto headlights

Better brake design. Better cup holder location. GM needs to back their products up - better service - more customers!

I like my car
By ssobom

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just passed 100,000 miles on my Alero. It has been a pretty reliable car over the past eight years. I love the exterior styling as well as the cockpit layout. The car has always been fun to drive. I have had to replace a few items over the past few years.(evaporator, brakes, fuel pump, fan control knob, rear defrost button) My next car will have better suspension, but I will miss this Alero.

Looks great. Really fun to drive. Reliable.

better suspension, better gas mileage for a 4 cylinder