2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
A Good Car at a Reasonable Price
By David on 09/02/05 13:04 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero GLS new. The included 5-year/60,000 mile total warranty offer is what convinced me to buy it over a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. I have been totally pleased. There are small annoyances: too much road noise, the front cup holder, and a few too many (warranted) repairs. But the car is a blast to drive, and I felt I got a lot of car for much less money than I would have paid for either of the other cars. My greatest complaint is the long start / two-try start which the dealer says is normal. It isn't, and it's embarrassing. Overall a very good value over the 4 years I have now owned it. If they were still made, I'd probably buy another in a year or so.

Terrible Resale Value
By Jay on 07/04/05 13:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had every single problem that you can think of from brakes going to the check engine light going on and off. I bought this car new and traded in a 97 Nissan Maxima that worked and sounded better then the new car. I tried to take the car back to the dealership because I knew I made a mistake but they would have no part of it. I paid $21,000.00 for a car that I can not get a Happy Meal and five bucks for today (poor resale value). I really do not like this car, and I rather go into more debt and get rid of it then to drive it another day.

My last GM product
By tkt2ride on 06/14/05 15:09 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have ever owned. All 4 electric window regulators (motors) replaced. Brakes are simply defective. Passlock/key caused four trips to the shop. Turn signals. Battery. Three radios.

Farewell Oldsmobile, sad to see you go..
By jb on 03/09/05 18:03 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was originally shopping for a more expensive car, however I purchased a new motorcycle the same summer and decided to be a bit frugal. Even after looking at more expensive cars, the Alero stacked up well. There were a few annoying items that were fixed under warranty (heater/ac fan control, driver window, some interior trim) but mechanically the car has been very reliable. It goes through brakes quickly, but other than that I have had almost 85,000 trouble free miles. The car exhibited very little body noise over rough pavement until the last ~10,000 miles. Nonetheless, it is better than many other comparably priced cars (Camry, Accord) in this respect.

Head Gasket
By zig on 03/07/05 12:15 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle overall, but have had some problems with brakes. I just had to put a head gasket in this motor with 50,000 miles on it, GM warranty did cover the repair cost.

Annoying Problems
By AJB on 12/29/04 14:26 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero for a little over a year. The car is a solid drive, fast and fun, but I have been plagued by annoying problems. For example it's been in to the shop four times for the "service engine soon" light coming on. Turned out to be the O2 sensor each time, not particularly expensive but annoying just the same. Also the brakes are always noisy and seem to wear out quickly.Even with new rotors I still feel like it grates and grinds too much. The power windows have also caused a problem recently. Great looking car and real fun drive, but having previously owned a Japanese car, I think I'll head East again next time I buy. Make sure you like your dealer....you'll be back.

Olds
By mikend33 on 12/23/04 07:12 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has driven this car almost 100 miles a day for a year with no problems. Still runs just like the day we bought it. We have since moved closer to her work. We would buy another Oldsmobile if they were still making them.

Good Thing Olds Went Out Of Business!
By Katie Milbradt on 09/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

New cars don't break down - WHAT A JOKE! List of REPLACEMENTS: 19,824 Brake Calipers. 24,878 Intake Manifold Gaskets. 24,980 Power Steering Hose. 28,754 Wheel Speed Sensor, Control Arms, & HEAD GASKET. 33,451 Stabilizer Shaft, Insulator, & Bracket. 37,516 Oil Pan Gasket Leak. 40,903 Intake Gaskets & Brake Pads. 48,837 Strut Mounts. 54,998 Steering Gear and FRONT CRANK SEAL! With all the repairs I've had, I will have a new car at 60,000!

2001 Alero
By Ruth on 08/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It is a decent car for the money. It is fun to drive, but definitely not luxurious. I have the v6, so it has tons of pep. A lot of road noise on the expressway and you feel every bump in this vehicle. My car has a very long crank, which can be embarassing. (GM says it's normal) And the suspension doesn't feel like it is built for a v6.

So far a decent car, but the brakes
By pease_d on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car since Sept. 01 benn a guud car exceept fo rthe ABS the light wil just come on at random and all the dealer says it is just a sensor that got a rock in it. th only other complaint I have with this car is do not buy it with a sunroof if you are over 5'9" because you will not fit in it as I have found out after my growing years.