2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Headache!
By Michelle on 05/24/06 13:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Needless to say, this car is starting to spend more time in the shop than on the road. I just got a new transmission but this jerking issue still persists. The brakes continue to be a problem. We have had to fix the window on the driver side and recall for the hazard lights. This good looking car is a real mess! If anyone has the opportunity to by an Alero, run the other way. There is a good reason why they stopped making this car!

Ignore the naysayers
By Jeff on 04/30/06 18:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at 38,000 miles and put 53,000 miles on it. It has needed the kinds of repairs every car needs - a new thermostat, starter, and a power-window motor. I also had to get new wheel bearings for the front wheels. The one bad thing is the rims. 3 of them are bent, but I do live in New York City. Everyone says they're pretty cheap though. Otherwise, it's a fun, zippy car to drive and the GLS model with a moonroof and spoiler is a good looking car.

Bucket of Bolts
By Dave on 04/30/06 16:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Whoever designed this car never drove it. It has poor quality, features that were poorly designed, and poor fuel economy for a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car. The engine has a fair amount of power, but the cockpit layout is not convenient. There is a sensor in the stereo that increases volume with speed, but there are no pockets in the doors for maps. It gets the exact same gas mileage that my '92 Grand Am with the 3.3L V6 and 3 speed auto transmission got. The interior feels cheap and pasticy (a hallmark of GM cars over the last 20 years). When the car was 40 months old (and the warranty expired) the emergency brake lever stopped working and the intermittent wipers went on the fritz.

Been a Great Car
By Stephen on 02/14/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero used (it was a rental car) with 18,000 miles on it in 2001. It now has close to 130,000 miles on it (02/06). I've replaced the front brakes a couple of times and I had to replace the fuel regulator at about 102,000 miles. Aside from that and the recall on the soldering of the Hazard button I really cannot complain about this car. I drive 40 miles each way to work and regularly drive 180 miles each way to my parents house on the weekends. I get 27-28 miles per gallon on every tank of gas. My only complaint is the sun visors. I don't like how they come down and stick out.

You wonder why GM is in trouble!
By whitealleycat on 01/06/06 19:22 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The 2001 Oldsmobile Alero is a piece of junk. I had more problems than you can imagine with it, far too many to list. The windows were scratched from the power windows, electrical problems, wheel bearing, brakes (x3), ABS sensors, you name it. This car was a money pit. When I tried to sell it, it was worth nothing. I basically gave it away and the poor kid who bought it, broke down after two hours of owning it. What a nightmare. Avoid this car or any GM product. They don't stand behind there name. When your warranty runs out, your screwed. I'm looking at a Subaru now. I swear I got 300 kms out of a tank of gas.

Good Car
By Rick on 12/14/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero, I did have some brake issues at first, but GM replaced the brakes and rotors and I have not had any problems since. I have over 70,000 miles and love the 2.4L engine. I just replaced the original tires. Overall this is a good car.

fun but not reliable
By a on 12/06/05 23:09 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very quick 6 cyl, got new rack and pinion, bad starting noise and hesitation, new power steering pump, new e-brake, new speakers and ignition parts many times. Very good sounding speakers. New alternator. New head gasket. No more american for me. Don't look in the future to see Aleros go 200k miles.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero
By Blcofee on 11/23/05 22:29 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The only problems I have had with my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero are with the intake manifold. My Alero had 31,000 when I purchased and at around 41,000 miles the intake manifold went bad. It was just by the grace on of God that my car was still under warranty! I enjyed driving this car when I first boight it, and I still do. It does have many large blind spots though.

Typical GM Quality
By GMCustomerNoMore on 11/04/05 14:37 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

The one thing I can count on with the Alero is that I'll have to spend $600 every year to replace a wheel speed sensor. The brake rotors warp, it has hard starting, it needed a head gasket replacement, it has shaky side mirrors, it has a terrible front cup holder design, and now it has an intermittent power window problem with the driver's door. These problems have all piled up to ensure that my next car will not be from GM. At least my car is stylish (okay, for 2001 maybe), fun to drive, peppy, and has never left me stranded at the side of the road (knock on wood). I don't know why GM insists on using replacement wheel speed sensors with the same defect as the original, and why they can't make the 3.4L start like every other car -- only 2-3 seconds of cranking!

Piece of Junk
By MrLee on 10/30/05 23:29 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car if your life depends on it. The computer system is garbage, mine has been repaired over four times and it is still broken. The security system is broken, and the car won't start. The windows leak, ruining the carpet (which won't be replaced) and after they are fixed, they fall off the track. The rotors warped after only 12,000 miles and only third party replacements make it stop. The intake manifold leaks coolant.