Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Looks nice on the outside. Poison inside
By Kmarz555

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start? Within the first year I owned it; the entire transmission went out. Luckily, the warranty covered that. However, the abs system on this thing is the worst I've ever seen. The ABS light always comes on, they want hundreds to fix it. The worse though is the knock sensor issues. I spent $2000 to fix it once, as soon as I got it back, it went out again. I took into the dealership for that one repair alone over 10 times! They still can't figure it out--the service manager claims its a manufacturing defect. The front CV joints sound like they're about to fall off--every time I turn I hear a loud rubbing noise (Those have been replaced too). Overall, I've suffered too long...

Nice exterior look. Okay fuel efficiency.

One of the large Asian automakers needs to buy GM, so that they can learn how to make a car that is not going to explode while you're driving down the road.

A great all-around car
By W. Tersch

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero certified used five years ago, and it remains a beautiful and practical car inside and out. Low mileage Oldsmobile are one of the best bargains out there and have served several friends well too. I replaced a power steering pump and a ventilation resistor under warranty, and a small screw cover fell off, but other than that, smooth sailing for daily driving and road trips after 70k miles. This car handles Chicago winters well with its wide tires, front wheel drive, traction control, and ABS. Still in love with it!

The torquey 3.4 L provides responsive power and up to 32 MPG for this relatively lightweight car, and the leather interior with sun & sound package is excellent. Great 8-speaker audio. The folding seats have allowed me to transport two bikes and three people inside the car.

Front cup holder is a bit tight; rear cup holder is chintzy but effective.

Nice Investment
By Drew Anderson

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new, and loved it. I got it fully loaded so it makes the car a lot nicer. The only thing that's ever gone wrong for me was the Trans and I had a clogged cat. I replaced the Trans and just put a straight pipe over the cat so it's all good. Still love this car and everything i got with it.

Really loved the Premium Sound System, and the Moon Roof. I also enjoyed the leather seats and the Handling.

The 3300 transmission series for starters, and I don't like the closed trans pan. Makes everything harder!

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

It looks good.

Nice Car
By Pete

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero since 2001 and it had 37 miles on it. It has been a great car overall with very few issues other than the standard that any 7 year old car needs. It has been a good family car, commuting car and its fun to use the V6 to get up and go when needed. Gas mileage has averaged in the high twenties and even by todays V6 standards that still seems good to me.

As you accelerate the volume on the radio automatically turns up slightly to compensate

The one improvement that stands out is that the defogger switch is picky, sometimes it works and sometimes you only know its working when the ice starts to melt.

• SUV