Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Head Gasket
By zig

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle overall, but have had some problems with brakes. I just had to put a head gasket in this motor with 50,000 miles on it, GM warranty did cover the repair cost.

So far a decent car, but the brakes
By pease_d

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car since Sept. 01 benn a guud car exceept fo rthe ABS the light wil just come on at random and all the dealer says it is just a sensor that got a rock in it. th only other complaint I have with this car is do not buy it with a sunroof if you are over 5'9" because you will not fit in it as I have found out after my growing years.

Styilng and sportiness

Brakes, and lack of headrooom

Whats wrong with the Brakes?????
By Astrodude

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's face it. I've read all the reviews from others and there are serious brake problems with this car that must be manufacturing issues. I have had warped rotors 3 times within 70,000 miles and the first time was at only 19K. I think a recall is in order for the brakes. On a positive note, the interior of this car is awesome. I've never had a car with more comfortable seats. I'm somewhat disappointed with the gas mileage too.

Ergonomic seat design.

Where do I begin.... Ummm it's the brakes dummy!!!!!!

Backaches galore
By desiresnewcar

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Alero for a little over 2 and a half years and it's time to get rid of it! Unfortunately, I'm going to loose a lot of money because resale is HORRIBLE, on these cars!

It gets pretty good gas mileage, thats about it!

I've had back trouble since I got this car. The seats are hard and VERY uncomfortable. The radio buttons have wore completely off TWICE...and are starting to again. Also had trouble with brakes, the engine hesitating and trouble starting.

Good Alero!
By eldo

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great small car. I traded a compact SUV in on this and I do miss the added room in the SUV compared to this car. The room is adequate with the rear seats folded down. It has very good performance and seems tight and quiet. The ride is solid and handling is great with the 50 series, 16" GoodYear Eagles that came on it! I had two small problems; the outside, drivers side mirror and the inside rear view mirror came off. Both problems were taken care of on the spot and the dealer people were very courteous. No complaint with service! I feel this car is just as good as imports from Japan in the same price range!

Performance, handling and fuel mileage are all excellent!

I don't know how to improve it but depreciation is very bad; I have lost over 50% in two years of ownership! A performance shifting button like some imports have would be a nice addition for the automatic transmission.