2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews 3

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
GM trash
By Malone on 05/20/08 04:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I may run out of characters so let's get started. 3 wheel bearings at $150 a pop each, rear defroster broke at 90k, still not fixed, ABS sensor malfunctioning, still not fixed, 4 sets of brakes and rotors and two sets of calipers, fuel pump and sending unit, $425. Clunking in the front end leaning towards rack and pinion, can't wait for that bill. The drivers side door window fell off yesterday. Tie rod last month. 2 fuel injectors. I love the USA, but this will be the last American made vehicle I will ever purchase.

Not Impressed
By Tony on 04/27/08 06:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

If you happen to purchase this vehicle and their is a option to get an extended warranty I would highly recommend it. Very unhappy with the mechanical problems. At 58k I had to replace both front wheel bearings. Blower switch would only operate at high speeds. Replaced thermostat. The big one was at 78k the head gasket had to be replaced. Thirteen months later had to replace another front wheel bearing, ($500) out of my pocket because the warranty expired. The best investment in this vehcile was paying $35 dollars to transfer the original warranty to my name. Design of the interior isn't to bad except for cup holders in front. Gas mileage is good for a 3.4L, 26 city 31 hwy.

Done with GM
By Terry on 04/23/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Alero brand new and have had too many service issues with this car. Brakes, water leaks, windows, rear defroster, blinkers, security system. I will never buy another GM product again. This was my first brand new car and all the used cars I had previous to this one had better service records. What bothers me the most about this car is that GM/Oldsmobile really did not step up to the plate on this car. I even wrote to Oldsmobile headquarters - they only gave me some free oil changes! The only reason I keep this car is that it's paid for, but thinking of trading in before it gets too bad. Shame on you GM and Walier's in Keene NH!!

I like my car
By ssobom on 04/17/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just passed 100,000 miles on my Alero. It has been a pretty reliable car over the past eight years. I love the exterior styling as well as the cockpit layout. The car has always been fun to drive. I have had to replace a few items over the past few years.(evaporator, brakes, fuel pump, fan control knob, rear defrost button) My next car will have better suspension, but I will miss this Alero.

My 2001 Olds Alero - Reposession
By Cedar Park on 04/15/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 Olds Alero GLS in 2005. I've seen the complaints about Aleros and I have changed or repaired things. My repo had 87K miles when I bought it in 2005. Now 127K. I've replaced or repaired the following items: Motor performance computer, interior computer, remote keyless receiver, replaced fuel intake gaskets, replaced A/C compressor, plus I removed the AM/FM/CD radio and bought two extra ones off e-bay ($9.00 each). I cobbled best parts off two and put on the best one. Sold the others on e-bay for $45. That's about it. I did all of the work and bought all parts on e-bay or discount GM dealer on-line for at least 50% discount. 26-32 mpg. This car just keeps running. No oil use.

What I think
By awesome car on 04/02/08 23:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to drive it has a moon roof very comfy and rides and handles great it was a great decision and a great price and a lot better than my cavalier.

This sad old Alero
By Brian on 03/17/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever owned. Thank God we bought a extended warranty. The starter went bad, fly wheel cracked, passenger electric widow stopped working, leaked gas from the engine, power steering started to leak, oil was getting into radiator, passenger door leaked when it rained, passlock theft security went bad. We traded car off before the extended warranty was up. Vehicles like this make you really think about ever buying a GM vehicle again. You pay good money for a vehicle and this is what you get.

Beware-o Alero 2001 GLS Sedan
By Den1 on 09/07/07 08:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have had numerous problems with this car, the most expensive of which is the coolant system leaks due to poor design at GM. There's a class action lawsuit on this because it is such a consistent problem on these engines (3.4 Liter). If you have this engine, it will develop leaks. It can't possibly do otherwise since the coolant actually erodes the gasket material. It's simply a matter of time. Now with the wheel and brake problems and the numerous small issues, I have to say this would be a terrible choice as a used vehicle. If you like your money, stay away from it.

College Car
By Starrz on 11/28/06 12:26 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new (7 miles) and I've had a great experience with it. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and it's still running strong. It has adequate power along with good gas mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car.

Average
By Willie on 10/21/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.