Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

257,000 miles and going
By 257,843 miles going

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at 19,543 miles. True, all cars will have problems. In the last 7 years I have had to replace head gaskets, Fuel Pump, Tie Rod Ends. Only major issues. Overall, it's an ok car. As of today it has over 250,000 miles. It's hard to believe from an Alero but YES.

Favorite Features

Automatic headlights. Powerful V6 engine. Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in weird places. Low head room.

Avoid
By Roger

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero in September 2003. This car is without question the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have lost track of all the repair work required to keep this vehicle running. Some of the bigger issues were the windows, fuel pump, defroster, tire pressure indicator, and brakes. I throw more money at this car than what it was worth. The quality of craftsmanship was absolutely horrendous. This car is a bust! Anyone thinking of purchasing one should seriously reconsider.

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

2001 ALERO
By Gayla Smith

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Security light comes on and will start. This started off and on after the constant blinker noise that drives me nuts. The dealership supposedly fixed the blinker, the very next day is started doing it all over again and now the security light comes on and the car WILL not start! Called GM they said they have no issues or complaints about this! No recalls ! I have numerous other issues but this is the main one.. NOT reliable and will never buy GM again!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing now- they dont make it anymore! wont buy another GM EVER!!!

2001 Alero
By Dawno

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2001 Alero is a sporty looking car for a sedan. I love the power seats,radio,traction control,cruise and easy to use knobs for climate control.

Favorite Features

Love the sporty look, traction control, smooth drive, comfortable seats, low maintenance, low tire pressure warning and lots of features.

Suggested Improvements

The security system has a lot to be desired had the passlock system replaced several times- the 5th time being the charm.

Looks nice on the outside. Poison inside
By Kmarz555

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start? Within the first year I owned it; the entire transmission went out. Luckily, the warranty covered that. However, the abs system on this thing is the worst I've ever seen. The ABS light always comes on, they want hundreds to fix it. The worse though is the knock sensor issues. I spent $2000 to fix it once, as soon as I got it back, it went out again. I took into the dealership for that one repair alone over 10 times! They still can't figure it out--the service manager claims its a manufacturing defect. The front CV joints sound like they're about to fall off--every time I turn I hear a loud rubbing noise (Those have been replaced too). Overall, I've suffered too long...

Favorite Features

Nice exterior look. Okay fuel efficiency.

Suggested Improvements

One of the large Asian automakers needs to buy GM, so that they can learn how to make a car that is not going to explode while you're driving down the road.