2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Head Gasket
By zig on 03/07/05 12:15 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle overall, but have had some problems with brakes. I just had to put a head gasket in this motor with 50,000 miles on it, GM warranty did cover the repair cost.

So far a decent car, but the brakes
By pease_d on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car since Sept. 01 benn a guud car exceept fo rthe ABS the light wil just come on at random and all the dealer says it is just a sensor that got a rock in it. th only other complaint I have with this car is do not buy it with a sunroof if you are over 5'9" because you will not fit in it as I have found out after my growing years.

Whats wrong with the Brakes?????
By Astrodude on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's face it. I've read all the reviews from others and there are serious brake problems with this car that must be manufacturing issues. I have had warped rotors 3 times within 70,000 miles and the first time was at only 19K. I think a recall is in order for the brakes. On a positive note, the interior of this car is awesome. I've never had a car with more comfortable seats. I'm somewhat disappointed with the gas mileage too.

Backaches galore
By desiresnewcar on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Alero for a little over 2 and a half years and it's time to get rid of it! Unfortunately, I'm going to loose a lot of money because resale is HORRIBLE, on these cars!

Good Alero!
By eldo on 09/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great small car. I traded a compact SUV in on this and I do miss the added room in the SUV compared to this car. The room is adequate with the rear seats folded down. It has very good performance and seems tight and quiet. The ride is solid and handling is great with the 50 series, 16" GoodYear Eagles that came on it! I had two small problems; the outside, drivers side mirror and the inside rear view mirror came off. Both problems were taken care of on the spot and the dealer people were very courteous. No complaint with service! I feel this car is just as good as imports from Japan in the same price range!

UNDERRATED
By Dan Mummert on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Great car, very underrated can be very quick with a few performance mods.

Best Midsize Car
By on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Alero after heavy consideration and comparison. Over a year later I am 100% sure I made the right decision. The carís handling, ergonomics and styling are excellent. This car has given me a newfound love of driving. Resale values are poor, but I will not be selling it anytime soon. The six-cylinder engine moves this car well, with plenty of acceleration. The seats are comfortable and supportive. The cloth seats are very nice but the leather is cheap feeling. To sum it up, if my Alero were totaled in an accident today, I would go out and buy another one.

Maybe the last
By ae3beck on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My father works for GM, so I decided to go with this car, but even with an employee discount you will lose BIG on resale value. GM customer service is terrible. I have never seen someone give this kind of service after you spend $20K on there product, never, they act like you should prove problems with the car were not caused by you. I am looking to get rid of this car before my resale drops another 8 thousand dollars, thats what it did the first year we owned it.

.....at least it's pretty inexpensive!
By JennO. on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Going from always having driven Hondas...this was a rude awakening! The only GM product I would consider in the future would be a truck/suv. The Alero is zippy and pretty fun to drive, but not the highest performing vehicle by any means....I like the V6 and would have been very unhappy I feel with the 4-cyl. I just hope I can sell it after hearing the crash test results!!!

Owner Review
By lhsgcs on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car is fun to drive, seems solid and well put together. No problems, loaded with features not found in competition.