Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Not horrible, but personally would suggest one
By m3t4lm4n222

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had one of these cars for 7 months now. Got it at 75K miles ran pretty good, now at 86K miles and well..it's not going to well. The engine burns oil already, the transmission shifts hard and slow(Checked the fluid, it's fine) The ride in this car is well..bad. You can feel every bump, it's loud, especially on the highway, expect to have to turn the radio up. The engine is very loud, and I have the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and it's also very slow, it literally sounds and accelerates as if it had a big diesel engine in it. It averages 19 City, 25 Highway which is pretty bad for a car..especially considering it has a 4 cylinder engine...It's also not very comfortable...

Hasn't ever let me down in the past 11k miles, VERY safe.

If you're going to buy American 1995-2005 buy a Ford. GMC and Dodge had a lot of problems in that time slot. Better yet, you should probably buy a Toyota, Honda, Nissan or KIA at that point.

Would not pick this one over again.
By jnell

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles. And I would not do it again. About a month after I bought it the front wheel bearings went out. I have also had problems with the drivers side window - had to replace the motor. The head gaskets have had to be replaced and the brakes react terrible if it rains or snows. Needless to say this has not been anything like what I thought. None of the repairs have been anything close to cheap or acceptable. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for young driver. Alero's are very questionable cars, its a 50/50 chance - you either get a good one or a very rotten lemon.

2001 Alero
By Cornholeo

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. 160K miles and less than $1500.00 maintenance expenses. Highly recommend for anyone responsible enough to own a vehicle....

Responsiveness. Handling. Comfort. Acceleration.

Horsepower. Width.

Over 220,000 and still running strong
By Curt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought this car in 04 used with only 30,000 miles. Now it's 2010 with 220,458 and still running. Just minor repairs (oil change, minor tune-up, brakes & tires). I'm still shocked over how reliable this car is.

How reliable she is

The traction sensor is my only problem.

Still a good car
By GoingStrong

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My father paid $10,000 for the 2001 Alero with 12,000 miles for my brother and I in 2002 when we were in high school. I wasn't really crazy about it then because it seemed like EVERYONE had one but now I look back and see what a good car it was and still is. The only problem we have with it is the blinkers. They ALWAYS CLICK! It takes them a couple minutes to stop clicking even after they switch off. The car is now my brothers and he hasn't had a single problem with it since the battery died last year leaving him stranded in the mountains haha. Overall, great car for the money as long as it's taken care of.

That it still feels like new :)

BLINKERS!