Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Would not pick this one over again.
By jnell

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles. And I would not do it again. About a month after I bought it the front wheel bearings went out. I have also had problems with the drivers side window - had to replace the motor. The head gaskets have had to be replaced and the brakes react terrible if it rains or snows. Needless to say this has not been anything like what I thought. None of the repairs have been anything close to cheap or acceptable. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for young driver. Alero's are very questionable cars, its a 50/50 chance - you either get a good one or a very rotten lemon.

2001 Alero
By Cornholeo

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. 160K miles and less than $1500.00 maintenance expenses. Highly recommend for anyone responsible enough to own a vehicle....

Favorite Features

Responsiveness. Handling. Comfort. Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower. Width.

Over 220,000 and still running strong
By Curt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought this car in 04 used with only 30,000 miles. Now it's 2010 with 220,458 and still running. Just minor repairs (oil change, minor tune-up, brakes & tires). I'm still shocked over how reliable this car is.

Favorite Features

How reliable she is

Suggested Improvements

The traction sensor is my only problem.

Still a good car
By GoingStrong

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My father paid $10,000 for the 2001 Alero with 12,000 miles for my brother and I in 2002 when we were in high school. I wasn't really crazy about it then because it seemed like EVERYONE had one but now I look back and see what a good car it was and still is. The only problem we have with it is the blinkers. They ALWAYS CLICK! It takes them a couple minutes to stop clicking even after they switch off. The car is now my brothers and he hasn't had a single problem with it since the battery died last year leaving him stranded in the mountains haha. Overall, great car for the money as long as it's taken care of.

Favorite Features

That it still feels like new :)

Suggested Improvements

BLINKERS!

Be Careful
By sam

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it ad 59000 miles drove it until it had 85,000 miles and then it was time to sell or drive off a cliff. All the window regulators went out, the fan speed control stopped working, the breaks started to make a creeking noise. I have had 3 different mechanics tell me the engine design is terrible, it has already cost me $850 and there are still problems. They can pin point the problem to many variables. Don't buy not worth the stress.

Favorite Features

Its Black

Suggested Improvements

less plastic in critical, high use areas.(window regulators.)