Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

I wouldn't suggest it..
By wreckedher

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

An Oldsmobile Alero was my first daily driver. It had 88K miles on it when I got it. The first thing I noticed was that the car shifted hard. Even if it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at a measly 2300RPM the car would jolt when it shifted. The second thing I noticed was that the car rode horribly. I got complaints from passengers all the time. The 3rd thing I found out is that my engine was burning 3 quarts of oil at 91K miles. The vehicle started every time I got in it without issue, but the car itself just wasn't great. It drove, rid and acted like a $1000 car. In the end I sold it for $2500 then paid it off so I could buy a $2000 car and have no payments. Haven't been happier.

fully electric, good amount of space for passengers and driver, very safe. Interior design was good except for cup holder locations.

Better engine, better transmission, better suspension = great car.

LOVE THIS CAR!!
By alerolova

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was a little worried when i saw this car in my drive way after my parents searched for something after i was in a car crash. I read a lot of reviews and found nothing but horrible reviews nightmare stories and a lot of $$ signs. so after driving it for a while something happened, the hub bar. went bad...but since i work at a dealership...i got the parts for mad cheap thank god. i replaced the shocks and im telling you the car runs like new. amazing. so then i cleaned the engine valve and the injecters...and it starts every time, no clicking...no problems at all. i love the car i love how it handles and its fast. great on gas. so hey a lil investigating goes a long way...only 500 spent. :)

Ok car
By gumbi71

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car used and within the first week the sunroof brackets broke, body had rust cavities in it within the first year of owning and at about 85,000 miles both windows stopped working (2 door model). Not so impressed with the design under the hood... Still gets me from point a to point b. It has helped having the knowledge to do my own work. Would not recommend this as a first car with how much get up and go mine still has and how untrustworthy it is in snow.

Could have 1.put the starter either a) behind a mud shield or b) up top 2.moved the oil filter to a more convenient place 3.used more available sized tires and not those low profile jobbers.... the list goes on...

Not horrible, but personally would suggest one
By m3t4lm4n222

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had one of these cars for 7 months now. Got it at 75K miles ran pretty good, now at 86K miles and well..it's not going to well. The engine burns oil already, the transmission shifts hard and slow(Checked the fluid, it's fine) The ride in this car is well..bad. You can feel every bump, it's loud, especially on the highway, expect to have to turn the radio up. The engine is very loud, and I have the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and it's also very slow, it literally sounds and accelerates as if it had a big diesel engine in it. It averages 19 City, 25 Highway which is pretty bad for a car..especially considering it has a 4 cylinder engine...It's also not very comfortable...

Hasn't ever let me down in the past 11k miles, VERY safe.

If you're going to buy American 1995-2005 buy a Ford. GMC and Dodge had a lot of problems in that time slot. Better yet, you should probably buy a Toyota, Honda, Nissan or KIA at that point.

Would not pick this one over again.
By jnell

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles. And I would not do it again. About a month after I bought it the front wheel bearings went out. I have also had problems with the drivers side window - had to replace the motor. The head gaskets have had to be replaced and the brakes react terrible if it rains or snows. Needless to say this has not been anything like what I thought. None of the repairs have been anything close to cheap or acceptable. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for young driver. Alero's are very questionable cars, its a 50/50 chance - you either get a good one or a very rotten lemon.