2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Avoid
By Roger on 07/13/09 18:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero in September 2003. This car is without question the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I have lost track of all the repair work required to keep this vehicle running. Some of the bigger issues were the windows, fuel pump, defroster, tire pressure indicator, and brakes. I throw more money at this car than what it was worth. The quality of craftsmanship was absolutely horrendous. This car is a bust! Anyone thinking of purchasing one should seriously reconsider.

2001 ALERO
By Gayla Smith on 04/17/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Security light comes on and will start. This started off and on after the constant blinker noise that drives me nuts. The dealership supposedly fixed the blinker, the very next day is started doing it all over again and now the security light comes on and the car WILL not start! Called GM they said they have no issues or complaints about this! No recalls ! I have numerous other issues but this is the main one.. NOT reliable and will never buy GM again!

2001 Alero
By Dawno on 04/11/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The 2001 Alero is a sporty looking car for a sedan. I love the power seats,radio,traction control,cruise and easy to use knobs for climate control.

Looks nice on the outside. Poison inside
By Kmarz555 on 12/24/08 17:01 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start? Within the first year I owned it; the entire transmission went out. Luckily, the warranty covered that. However, the abs system on this thing is the worst I've ever seen. The ABS light always comes on, they want hundreds to fix it. The worse though is the knock sensor issues. I spent $2000 to fix it once, as soon as I got it back, it went out again. I took into the dealership for that one repair alone over 10 times! They still can't figure it out--the service manager claims its a manufacturing defect. The front CV joints sound like they're about to fall off--every time I turn I hear a loud rubbing noise (Those have been replaced too). Overall, I've suffered too long...

A great all-around car
By W. Tersch on 10/13/08 12:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero certified used five years ago, and it remains a beautiful and practical car inside and out. Low mileage Oldsmobile are one of the best bargains out there and have served several friends well too. I replaced a power steering pump and a ventilation resistor under warranty, and a small screw cover fell off, but other than that, smooth sailing for daily driving and road trips after 70k miles. This car handles Chicago winters well with its wide tires, front wheel drive, traction control, and ABS. Still in love with it!

Nice Investment
By Drew Anderson on 07/26/08 22:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new, and loved it. I got it fully loaded so it makes the car a lot nicer. The only thing that's ever gone wrong for me was the Trans and I had a clogged cat. I replaced the Trans and just put a straight pipe over the cat so it's all good. Still love this car and everything i got with it.

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC on 07/14/08 06:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

Nice Car
By Pete on 06/23/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero since 2001 and it had 37 miles on it. It has been a great car overall with very few issues other than the standard that any 7 year old car needs. It has been a good family car, commuting car and its fun to use the V6 to get up and go when needed. Gas mileage has averaged in the high twenties and even by todays V6 standards that still seems good to me.

No more GM cars!
By Luke on 06/05/08 19:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used at about 60,000 miles and have put on another 60,000 driving to school/work. Driving and fuel efficiency aren't bad (although there's a big difference between winter and summer MPGs), but maintenance is a constant headache. I was actually vindicated to read on some of these other reviews about problems I've had: the leaky gasket issue, wheel bearings, starters, etc. Overall a sub-par vehicle which was obviously designed to last about 70-80 thousand miles and then be thrown away. Next car: something dependable like a Toyota or Honda - if my Alero is still worth anything at trade in when I can finally pay off the loan, that is.

GM trash
By Malone on 05/20/08 04:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I may run out of characters so let's get started. 3 wheel bearings at $150 a pop each, rear defroster broke at 90k, still not fixed, ABS sensor malfunctioning, still not fixed, 4 sets of brakes and rotors and two sets of calipers, fuel pump and sending unit, $425. Clunking in the front end leaning towards rack and pinion, can't wait for that bill. The drivers side door window fell off yesterday. Tie rod last month. 2 fuel injectors. I love the USA, but this will be the last American made vehicle I will ever purchase.