Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

2001 Alero
By Ruth

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It is a decent car for the money. It is fun to drive, but definitely not luxurious. I have the v6, so it has tons of pep. A lot of road noise on the expressway and you feel every bump in this vehicle. My car has a very long crank, which can be embarassing. (GM says it's normal) And the suspension doesn't feel like it is built for a v6.

The speed, size and maneuverability.

The ergonomic design of the steering wheel, seat and pedals place the steering wheel too far away. You either have to be too close to the pedals, or too far away from the seat. Front cup holder can't be used, find new location or redesign gear shifter.

So far a decent car, but the brakes
By pease_d

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car since Sept. 01 benn a guud car exceept fo rthe ABS the light wil just come on at random and all the dealer says it is just a sensor that got a rock in it. th only other complaint I have with this car is do not buy it with a sunroof if you are over 5'9" because you will not fit in it as I have found out after my growing years.

Styilng and sportiness

Brakes, and lack of headrooom

Absolutely Abhorrent
By mattoxa

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand-new. It has had multiple mechanical problems. A design flaw that allows engine coolant to leak on the manifold has been the most expensive repair in a very long list of problems. We recently were in an accident that resulted in a total loss of this car. The air bags failed to deploy in a frontal collision raising concerns of safety. The manifold problem was at 62,000, replaced ignition switch at 63,000, replaced bearing at 62,500. Car totaled at 65,000. These were the major problems. There isn't enough space to write all the minor problems with this car. I would not recommend that you buy this car.

Overall body style is nice and appealing. Automatic lighting controls are thoughtful and gauges are well- planned. However, no matter how good a car looks - if it isn't reliable, it's not going to get you anywhere (including the repair shop). Recommend AAA, you'll need it for towing.

GM is "scrapping" the Olds. What does that tell you? They know it's a bad car. GM would do well to initiate a recall on the manifold problem. However, no amount of recalls or money would repair GM's image in my view. I have sent this car to the salvage yard, where it belongs.

My Olds
By Dan Bar

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car to replace totlly worthless junker of an accord. Bought it used with 28k miles. The 3.4 v6 has good power especially low and middle ranged tourque and the 4 speed hyramatic gives crisp and responsive upshifts and downshifts. Handling is almost as good as a BMW 3 series with the sport suspension and the stereo is really nice as well. Good fuel milage when drivien conservativly but goes down fast when driven hard. Overall I really love this car and will keep even after I get a new caar some 5 years down the road as a collectors Item

Great performance, very fun to drive, good value.

Better tires.

SO UNHAPPY
By SRUBISH

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I HAVE THIS CARD 6MONTHS AND HAD IT BACK TO DEALER 8 TIMES. AXEL REPLACED, BOTH BEARINGS, BELT AND BELT ASSEMBLY, BRAKES TWICE, ROTARS ONCE. 02 SENSOR, GAS CAP FROM VAPOR LEAKS. I ALWAYS LOVED THESE CARS UNTIL I OWNED ONE.

THE LOOK OF THE CAR