Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

Head Gasket
By zig

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle overall, but have had some problems with brakes. I just had to put a head gasket in this motor with 50,000 miles on it, GM warranty did cover the repair cost.

Annoying Problems
By AJB

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero for a little over a year. The car is a solid drive, fast and fun, but I have been plagued by annoying problems. For example it's been in to the shop four times for the "service engine soon" light coming on. Turned out to be the O2 sensor each time, not particularly expensive but annoying just the same. Also the brakes are always noisy and seem to wear out quickly.Even with new rotors I still feel like it grates and grinds too much. The power windows have also caused a problem recently. Great looking car and real fun drive, but having previously owned a Japanese car, I think I'll head East again next time I buy. Make sure you like your dealer....you'll be back.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes. Alter the O2 sensor or shut off the thing totally. Modern gizmos are more hassle than they are worth.

Olds
By mikend33

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My wife has driven this car almost 100 miles a day for a year with no problems. Still runs just like the day we bought it. We have since moved closer to her work. We would buy another Oldsmobile if they were still making them.

Good Thing Olds Went Out Of Business!
By Katie Milbradt

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

New cars don't break down - WHAT A JOKE! List of REPLACEMENTS: 19,824 Brake Calipers. 24,878 Intake Manifold Gaskets. 24,980 Power Steering Hose. 28,754 Wheel Speed Sensor, Control Arms, & HEAD GASKET. 33,451 Stabilizer Shaft, Insulator, & Bracket. 37,516 Oil Pan Gasket Leak. 40,903 Intake Gaskets & Brake Pads. 48,837 Strut Mounts. 54,998 Steering Gear and FRONT CRANK SEAL! With all the repairs I've had, I will have a new car at 60,000!

Favorite Features

The style. Was it worth $20,000 plus all the wasted time and money for repairs - NO WAY!

Suggested Improvements

Olds doesn't give a crap about improvements - their history!

2001 Alero
By Ruth

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

It is a decent car for the money. It is fun to drive, but definitely not luxurious. I have the v6, so it has tons of pep. A lot of road noise on the expressway and you feel every bump in this vehicle. My car has a very long crank, which can be embarassing. (GM says it's normal) And the suspension doesn't feel like it is built for a v6.

Favorite Features

The speed, size and maneuverability.

Suggested Improvements

The ergonomic design of the steering wheel, seat and pedals place the steering wheel too far away. You either have to be too close to the pedals, or too far away from the seat. Front cup holder can't be used, find new location or redesign gear shifter.