2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Great car at the price
By Dan Adamski on 07/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

First Olds I have had in many years. have been driving and audi and volvo. car handels very well and cannot beat preformance and economy. I drive car very hard and have had no problems .

.....at least it's pretty inexpensive!
By JennO. on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Going from always having driven Hondas...this was a rude awakening! The only GM product I would consider in the future would be a truck/suv. The Alero is zippy and pretty fun to drive, but not the highest performing vehicle by any means....I like the V6 and would have been very unhappy I feel with the 4-cyl. I just hope I can sell it after hearing the crash test results!!!

My Alero
By smlzau2fan on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have found the 2001 Oldsmobile Alero 2 door GL Sedan an absolutely wonderful buy. It's nice and roomy, comfortable, very driveable, and very eye-catching with or without spoiler or other add- ons. Overall I've found this car to be quite a nine.

No surprises
By rhammel on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Alero brand new off the lot. It is a 4dr GLS V6 w/Sun & Sound pkg & has a sweet looking maroon paint. It is a sharp looking car. It's peppy & gets decent gas mileage. Ours had very good fit & finish & thus far (approx. 26K miles), we have had no major problems, though I think the brakes will need replacing soon. The front end is pretty low. My wife has already beat the heck out of the black rubber/plastic thing under the front by hitting curbs & tire stops. My wife complained about the moonroof rattling (I never noticed it), so Arnold Palmer Olds replaced the cover. No other problems with the moonroof.

Owner Review
By lhsgcs on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car is fun to drive, seems solid and well put together. No problems, loaded with features not found in competition.

20,000 miles and better than I expected
By Nat on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Huge discount piqued my interest, but still didn't expect much. Couple of annoyances-water leakage in the cabin during rainstorm (fixed after one visit to the dealer), some minor rattles, and my traction control (or whatever it's called) went out on me unexpectedly (it reset by itself later). Manual transmission is a little notchy, and the other day it popped out of reverse. However, its a big car for the money with a lot of standard features, and the huge discounts (got mine for $14,5K, you can probably get it cheaper now) might make it worth the while. Granted, build quality isn't up to par with Toyota, however much improved over past american cars.

Fun to drive
By alero1 on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is really fun to drive. I've owned it for 11 months, 11,000 miles. No problems except for a slow leak in one tire. Quiet, great stereo, comfortable, even for a larger person.

Olds Alero GL Sedan
By Alero GL on 03/18/02 12:28 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a great family car that is fun to drive. Mine has the sun and sound package, which is a sunroof and upgrade CD/cass/am/fm radio. These features make the car joy to drive.

Trouble Car
By drazzst on 03/16/02 16:00 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Approx. 6 mos. after purchasing the vehicle, we had a minor rainstorm, and the driver side window wouldn't go up or down (power). Had the connection repaired. Next night, we had a MAJOR rainstorm, and the problem happened again. Shortly after, the radio stopped working due to a wire being disconnected by the dealer (their fault). After that was repaired, because of the location of the wire in the driver side, it became disconnected again. Then the starter started messing up...sometimes it takes up to 6 tries to turn the engine over. Now the coolant light comes on, chimes, and goes off. My car is currently considered a "Friday Night Special"

Excellent Camry/Honda Fighter
By Sam on 03/06/02 21:27 PM (PST)

Great