Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

A Good Car at a Reasonable Price
By David

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero GLS new. The included 5-year/60,000 mile total warranty offer is what convinced me to buy it over a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. I have been totally pleased. There are small annoyances: too much road noise, the front cup holder, and a few too many (warranted) repairs. But the car is a blast to drive, and I felt I got a lot of car for much less money than I would have paid for either of the other cars. My greatest complaint is the long start / two-try start which the dealer says is normal. It isn't, and it's embarrassing. Overall a very good value over the 4 years I have now owned it. If they were still made, I'd probably buy another in a year or so.

Sporty, exhilerating performance; Handles curves like a European car; Plenty of storage areas in passenger compartment; Feels solid; Stereo is well done.

The front cup holder is ludicrously placed. There is too much road noise at freeway speeds. The starting issue should not exist.

Terrible Resale Value
By Jay

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had every single problem that you can think of from brakes going to the check engine light going on and off. I bought this car new and traded in a 97 Nissan Maxima that worked and sounded better then the new car. I tried to take the car back to the dealership because I knew I made a mistake but they would have no part of it. I paid $21,000.00 for a car that I can not get a Happy Meal and five bucks for today (poor resale value). I really do not like this car, and I rather go into more debt and get rid of it then to drive it another day.

The outside of the car really looks nice.

Too much engine noise, brakes go out too fast, cup holder is too close to the front console, more leg room, too many gadgets to fix, and reduce the price. This car should cost no more then a Kia Rio.

My last GM product
By tkt2ride

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have ever owned. All 4 electric window regulators (motors) replaced. Brakes are simply defective. Passlock/key caused four trips to the shop. Turn signals. Battery. Three radios.

GM needs to improve their quality and not reduce their prices as they are doing.

Farewell Oldsmobile, sad to see you go..
By jb

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was originally shopping for a more expensive car, however I purchased a new motorcycle the same summer and decided to be a bit frugal. Even after looking at more expensive cars, the Alero stacked up well. There were a few annoying items that were fixed under warranty (heater/ac fan control, driver window, some interior trim) but mechanically the car has been very reliable. It goes through brakes quickly, but other than that I have had almost 85,000 trouble free miles. The car exhibited very little body noise over rough pavement until the last ~10,000 miles. Nonetheless, it is better than many other comparably priced cars (Camry, Accord) in this respect.

The car's handling is sporty enough to entertain, yet still delivers a smooth ride. It takes high speed freeway miles in stride and comfort, yet is easy to maneuver around town. It was nice to be able to get the V-6 Alero for about the price of a sluggish 4-cylinder Accord or Camry.

The problems I had with electrical accessories and trim were covered under warranty and have not recurred, yet these are the sort of problems that can drive less patient consumers away. GM needs to improve interior fit and finish and source better quality electronic accessories and controls.

Head Gasket
By zig

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a good vehicle overall, but have had some problems with brakes. I just had to put a head gasket in this motor with 50,000 miles on it, GM warranty did cover the repair cost.