Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

My experiance with this car.
By dom52

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well, i thought this car was pretty cool when i bought it. The interior was super clean, and drove great! Well, until my car would randomly shut off on the road. It happened at least 4 times, brought it to the dealer and they said they couldn't diagnose the problem. Turns out it was the ignition failure(GM recall, but this was over a year ago when this started happening). I then traded this car in, because i just couldn't trust it. Other than that it was a decent car.

I wouldn't suggest it..
By wreckedher

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

An Oldsmobile Alero was my first daily driver. It had 88K miles on it when I got it. The first thing I noticed was that the car shifted hard. Even if it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at a measly 2300RPM the car would jolt when it shifted. The second thing I noticed was that the car rode horribly. I got complaints from passengers all the time. The 3rd thing I found out is that my engine was burning 3 quarts of oil at 91K miles. The vehicle started every time I got in it without issue, but the car itself just wasn't great. It drove, rid and acted like a $1000 car. In the end I sold it for $2500 then paid it off so I could buy a $2000 car and have no payments. Haven't been happier.

Favorite Features

fully electric, good amount of space for passengers and driver, very safe. Interior design was good except for cup holder locations.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine, better transmission, better suspension = great car.

Not horrible, but personally would suggest one
By m3t4lm4n222

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had one of these cars for 7 months now. Got it at 75K miles ran pretty good, now at 86K miles and well..it's not going to well. The engine burns oil already, the transmission shifts hard and slow(Checked the fluid, it's fine) The ride in this car is well..bad. You can feel every bump, it's loud, especially on the highway, expect to have to turn the radio up. The engine is very loud, and I have the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and it's also very slow, it literally sounds and accelerates as if it had a big diesel engine in it. It averages 19 City, 25 Highway which is pretty bad for a car..especially considering it has a 4 cylinder engine...It's also not very comfortable...

Favorite Features

Hasn't ever let me down in the past 11k miles, VERY safe.

Suggested Improvements

If you're going to buy American 1995-2005 buy a Ford. GMC and Dodge had a lot of problems in that time slot. Better yet, you should probably buy a Toyota, Honda, Nissan or KIA at that point.

Would not pick this one over again.
By jnell

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles. And I would not do it again. About a month after I bought it the front wheel bearings went out. I have also had problems with the drivers side window - had to replace the motor. The head gaskets have had to be replaced and the brakes react terrible if it rains or snows. Needless to say this has not been anything like what I thought. None of the repairs have been anything close to cheap or acceptable. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for young driver. Alero's are very questionable cars, its a 50/50 chance - you either get a good one or a very rotten lemon.

2001 Alero
By Cornholeo

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Sedan GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. 160K miles and less than $1500.00 maintenance expenses. Highly recommend for anyone responsible enough to own a vehicle....

Favorite Features

Responsiveness. Handling. Comfort. Acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Horsepower. Width.