2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
College Car
By Starrz on 11/28/06 12:26 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new (7 miles) and I've had a great experience with it. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and it's still running strong. It has adequate power along with good gas mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car.

Average
By Willie on 10/21/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.

Lemon
By Lemon on 09/28/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

Bucket of Bolts
By Dave on 04/30/06 16:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Whoever designed this car never drove it. It has poor quality, features that were poorly designed, and poor fuel economy for a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car. The engine has a fair amount of power, but the cockpit layout is not convenient. There is a sensor in the stereo that increases volume with speed, but there are no pockets in the doors for maps. It gets the exact same gas mileage that my '92 Grand Am with the 3.3L V6 and 3 speed auto transmission got. The interior feels cheap and pasticy (a hallmark of GM cars over the last 20 years). When the car was 40 months old (and the warranty expired) the emergency brake lever stopped working and the intermittent wipers went on the fritz.

Piece of Junk
By MrLee on 10/30/05 23:29 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car if your life depends on it. The computer system is garbage, mine has been repaired over four times and it is still broken. The security system is broken, and the car won't start. The windows leak, ruining the carpet (which won't be replaced) and after they are fixed, they fall off the track. The rotors warped after only 12,000 miles and only third party replacements make it stop. The intake manifold leaks coolant.

So far a decent car, but the brakes
By pease_d on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have had this car since Sept. 01 benn a guud car exceept fo rthe ABS the light wil just come on at random and all the dealer says it is just a sensor that got a rock in it. th only other complaint I have with this car is do not buy it with a sunroof if you are over 5'9" because you will not fit in it as I have found out after my growing years.

Whats wrong with the Brakes?????
By Astrodude on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Let's face it. I've read all the reviews from others and there are serious brake problems with this car that must be manufacturing issues. I have had warped rotors 3 times within 70,000 miles and the first time was at only 19K. I think a recall is in order for the brakes. On a positive note, the interior of this car is awesome. I've never had a car with more comfortable seats. I'm somewhat disappointed with the gas mileage too.

.....at least it's pretty inexpensive!
By JennO. on 06/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Going from always having driven Hondas...this was a rude awakening! The only GM product I would consider in the future would be a truck/suv. The Alero is zippy and pretty fun to drive, but not the highest performing vehicle by any means....I like the V6 and would have been very unhappy I feel with the 4-cyl. I just hope I can sell it after hearing the crash test results!!!

Owner Review
By lhsgcs on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Car is fun to drive, seems solid and well put together. No problems, loaded with features not found in competition.

Trouble Car
By drazzst on 03/16/02 16:00 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Approx. 6 mos. after purchasing the vehicle, we had a minor rainstorm, and the driver side window wouldn't go up or down (power). Had the connection repaired. Next night, we had a MAJOR rainstorm, and the problem happened again. Shortly after, the radio stopped working due to a wire being disconnected by the dealer (their fault). After that was repaired, because of the location of the wire in the driver side, it became disconnected again. Then the starter started messing up...sometimes it takes up to 6 tries to turn the engine over. Now the coolant light comes on, chimes, and goes off. My car is currently considered a "Friday Night Special"