Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

College Car
By Starrz

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new (7 miles) and I've had a great experience with it. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and it's still running strong. It has adequate power along with good gas mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car.

Favorite Features

The V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

None

Average
By Willie

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.

Favorite Features

The radio, style, looks, power, and sunroof.

Suggested Improvements

Give it better quality speakers, more power, and better gas millage

Lemon
By Lemon

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

Favorite Features

It's a pretty car.

Suggested Improvements

The entire vehicle needs to run well, not just look good.

Bucket of Bolts
By Dave

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Whoever designed this car never drove it. It has poor quality, features that were poorly designed, and poor fuel economy for a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car. The engine has a fair amount of power, but the cockpit layout is not convenient. There is a sensor in the stereo that increases volume with speed, but there are no pockets in the doors for maps. It gets the exact same gas mileage that my '92 Grand Am with the 3.3L V6 and 3 speed auto transmission got. The interior feels cheap and pasticy (a hallmark of GM cars over the last 20 years). When the car was 40 months old (and the warranty expired) the emergency brake lever stopped working and the intermittent wipers went on the fritz.

Favorite Features

It's red.

Suggested Improvements

Put cupholders in places that are not in the way. I'd rather have pockets in the doors for maps than a sensor that turns the headlights on for me. GM should build a car that doesn't leave me vowing never to buy another one of their products again.

Piece of Junk
By MrLee

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car if your life depends on it. The computer system is garbage, mine has been repaired over four times and it is still broken. The security system is broken, and the car won't start. The windows leak, ruining the carpet (which won't be replaced) and after they are fixed, they fall off the track. The rotors warped after only 12,000 miles and only third party replacements make it stop. The intake manifold leaks coolant.

Favorite Features

The motor is responsive and has good accelaration. The acceleration is the ONLY good part of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Oldsmobile is now out of business, but the Pontiac Grand Am is the same car. They should stop making such an expensive non-reliable car. GM should be ashamed of themselves. I will NEVER buy another American made vehicle again because of this experience.