2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
LOVE THIS CAR!!
By alerolova on 06/14/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was a little worried when i saw this car in my drive way after my parents searched for something after i was in a car crash. I read a lot of reviews and found nothing but horrible reviews nightmare stories and a lot of $$ signs. so after driving it for a while something happened, the hub bar. went bad...but since i work at a dealership...i got the parts for mad cheap thank god. i replaced the shocks and im telling you the car runs like new. amazing. so then i cleaned the engine valve and the injecters...and it starts every time, no clicking...no problems at all. i love the car i love how it handles and its fast. great on gas. so hey a lil investigating goes a long way...only 500 spent. :)

Ok car
By gumbi71 on 06/10/12 16:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car used and within the first week the sunroof brackets broke, body had rust cavities in it within the first year of owning and at about 85,000 miles both windows stopped working (2 door model). Not so impressed with the design under the hood... Still gets me from point a to point b. It has helped having the knowledge to do my own work. Would not recommend this as a first car with how much get up and go mine still has and how untrustworthy it is in snow.

I like my car
By ssobom on 04/17/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just passed 100,000 miles on my Alero. It has been a pretty reliable car over the past eight years. I love the exterior styling as well as the cockpit layout. The car has always been fun to drive. I have had to replace a few items over the past few years.(evaporator, brakes, fuel pump, fan control knob, rear defrost button) My next car will have better suspension, but I will miss this Alero.

My 2001 Olds Alero - Reposession
By Cedar Park on 04/15/08 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a 2001 Olds Alero GLS in 2005. I've seen the complaints about Aleros and I have changed or repaired things. My repo had 87K miles when I bought it in 2005. Now 127K. I've replaced or repaired the following items: Motor performance computer, interior computer, remote keyless receiver, replaced fuel intake gaskets, replaced A/C compressor, plus I removed the AM/FM/CD radio and bought two extra ones off e-bay ($9.00 each). I cobbled best parts off two and put on the best one. Sold the others on e-bay for $45. That's about it. I did all of the work and bought all parts on e-bay or discount GM dealer on-line for at least 50% discount. 26-32 mpg. This car just keeps running. No oil use.

College Car
By Starrz on 11/28/06 12:26 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero brand new (7 miles) and I've had a great experience with it. I haven't had any major mechanical problems with it and it's still running strong. It has adequate power along with good gas mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car.

Average
By Willie on 10/21/06 13:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The Alero is fun to drive, but it gets horrible gas millage, it is horrible in the snow, and its speakers rattle with every hint of base in a song.

Lemon
By Lemon on 09/28/06 17:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had nothing but problems with my Alero. In the last five years, I have had to replace my blinker, gas cap, entire clutch system, steering wheel pump, cruise control switch, and rear defroster. I also had a bolt break causing my front passenger wheel to fall of, luckily I was going slow enough that it didn't cause serious damage and I was not injured. And most recently I found out I have a leak in my cooling system.

Bucket of Bolts
By Dave on 04/30/06 16:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Whoever designed this car never drove it. It has poor quality, features that were poorly designed, and poor fuel economy for a 4-cylinder, manual transmission car. The engine has a fair amount of power, but the cockpit layout is not convenient. There is a sensor in the stereo that increases volume with speed, but there are no pockets in the doors for maps. It gets the exact same gas mileage that my '92 Grand Am with the 3.3L V6 and 3 speed auto transmission got. The interior feels cheap and pasticy (a hallmark of GM cars over the last 20 years). When the car was 40 months old (and the warranty expired) the emergency brake lever stopped working and the intermittent wipers went on the fritz.

fun but not reliable
By a on 12/06/05 23:09 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Nice ride, very quick 6 cyl, got new rack and pinion, bad starting noise and hesitation, new power steering pump, new e-brake, new speakers and ignition parts many times. Very good sounding speakers. New alternator. New head gasket. No more american for me. Don't look in the future to see Aleros go 200k miles.

Piece of Junk
By MrLee on 10/30/05 23:29 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero Coupe GL1 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Don't buy this car if your life depends on it. The computer system is garbage, mine has been repaired over four times and it is still broken. The security system is broken, and the car won't start. The windows leak, ruining the carpet (which won't be replaced) and after they are fixed, they fall off the track. The rotors warped after only 12,000 miles and only third party replacements make it stop. The intake manifold leaks coolant.