2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
Be Careful
By sam on 08/21/09 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it ad 59000 miles drove it until it had 85,000 miles and then it was time to sell or drive off a cliff. All the window regulators went out, the fan speed control stopped working, the breaks started to make a creeking noise. I have had 3 different mechanics tell me the engine design is terrible, it has already cost me $850 and there are still problems. They can pin point the problem to many variables. Don't buy not worth the stress.

2001 ALERO
By Gayla Smith on 04/17/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Security light comes on and will start. This started off and on after the constant blinker noise that drives me nuts. The dealership supposedly fixed the blinker, the very next day is started doing it all over again and now the security light comes on and the car WILL not start! Called GM they said they have no issues or complaints about this! No recalls ! I have numerous other issues but this is the main one.. NOT reliable and will never buy GM again!

Looks nice on the outside. Poison inside
By Kmarz555 on 12/24/08 17:01 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start? Within the first year I owned it; the entire transmission went out. Luckily, the warranty covered that. However, the abs system on this thing is the worst I've ever seen. The ABS light always comes on, they want hundreds to fix it. The worse though is the knock sensor issues. I spent $2000 to fix it once, as soon as I got it back, it went out again. I took into the dealership for that one repair alone over 10 times! They still can't figure it out--the service manager claims its a manufacturing defect. The front CV joints sound like they're about to fall off--every time I turn I hear a loud rubbing noise (Those have been replaced too). Overall, I've suffered too long...

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC on 07/14/08 06:20 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

Nice Car
By Pete on 06/23/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Alero since 2001 and it had 37 miles on it. It has been a great car overall with very few issues other than the standard that any 7 year old car needs. It has been a good family car, commuting car and its fun to use the V6 to get up and go when needed. Gas mileage has averaged in the high twenties and even by todays V6 standards that still seems good to me.

What I think
By awesome car on 04/02/08 23:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a joy to drive it has a moon roof very comfy and rides and handles great it was a great decision and a great price and a lot better than my cavalier.

This sad old Alero
By Brian on 03/17/08 18:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst vehicle that I have ever owned. Thank God we bought a extended warranty. The starter went bad, fly wheel cracked, passenger electric widow stopped working, leaked gas from the engine, power steering started to leak, oil was getting into radiator, passenger door leaked when it rained, passlock theft security went bad. We traded car off before the extended warranty was up. Vehicles like this make you really think about ever buying a GM vehicle again. You pay good money for a vehicle and this is what you get.

Been a Great Car
By Stephen on 02/14/06 11:29 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Alero used (it was a rental car) with 18,000 miles on it in 2001. It now has close to 130,000 miles on it (02/06). I've replaced the front brakes a couple of times and I had to replace the fuel regulator at about 102,000 miles. Aside from that and the recall on the soldering of the Hazard button I really cannot complain about this car. I drive 40 miles each way to work and regularly drive 180 miles each way to my parents house on the weekends. I get 27-28 miles per gallon on every tank of gas. My only complaint is the sun visors. I don't like how they come down and stick out.

Good Car
By Rick on 12/14/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Alero, I did have some brake issues at first, but GM replaced the brakes and rotors and I have not had any problems since. I have over 70,000 miles and love the 2.4L engine. I just replaced the original tires. Overall this is a good car.

2001 Oldsmobile Alero
By Blcofee on 11/23/05 22:29 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

The only problems I have had with my 2001 Oldsmobile Alero are with the intake manifold. My Alero had 31,000 when I purchased and at around 41,000 miles the intake manifold went bad. It was just by the grace on of God that my car was still under warranty! I enjyed driving this car when I first boight it, and I still do. It does have many large blind spots though.