Used 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

My experiance with this car.
By dom52

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Well, i thought this car was pretty cool when i bought it. The interior was super clean, and drove great! Well, until my car would randomly shut off on the road. It happened at least 4 times, brought it to the dealer and they said they couldn't diagnose the problem. Turns out it was the ignition failure(GM recall, but this was over a year ago when this started happening). I then traded this car in, because i just couldn't trust it. Other than that it was a decent car.

Be Careful
By sam

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it ad 59000 miles drove it until it had 85,000 miles and then it was time to sell or drive off a cliff. All the window regulators went out, the fan speed control stopped working, the breaks started to make a creeking noise. I have had 3 different mechanics tell me the engine design is terrible, it has already cost me $850 and there are still problems. They can pin point the problem to many variables. Don't buy not worth the stress.

Its Black

less plastic in critical, high use areas.(window regulators.)

2001 ALERO
By Gayla Smith

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Security light comes on and will start. This started off and on after the constant blinker noise that drives me nuts. The dealership supposedly fixed the blinker, the very next day is started doing it all over again and now the security light comes on and the car WILL not start! Called GM they said they have no issues or complaints about this! No recalls ! I have numerous other issues but this is the main one.. NOT reliable and will never buy GM again!

Nothing now- they dont make it anymore! wont buy another GM EVER!!!

Looks nice on the outside. Poison inside
By Kmarz555

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Where to start? Within the first year I owned it; the entire transmission went out. Luckily, the warranty covered that. However, the abs system on this thing is the worst I've ever seen. The ABS light always comes on, they want hundreds to fix it. The worse though is the knock sensor issues. I spent $2000 to fix it once, as soon as I got it back, it went out again. I took into the dealership for that one repair alone over 10 times! They still can't figure it out--the service manager claims its a manufacturing defect. The front CV joints sound like they're about to fall off--every time I turn I hear a loud rubbing noise (Those have been replaced too). Overall, I've suffered too long...

Nice exterior look. Okay fuel efficiency.

One of the large Asian automakers needs to buy GM, so that they can learn how to make a car that is not going to explode while you're driving down the road.

Merry Christmas! I keep my dash board...
By JC

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Lights on all year long! My car is paid for and has been for some time. This is a good thing because it costs so much to keep it running! Wheel hubs, bearings, brakes, $$tires. I would tell anyone who asks not to buy an Alero, it is a complete lemon. I bought this car brand new, I have taken it to the Oldsmobile dealer for repair and no one can seem to fix my car. My dashboard lights are back on two weeks after it is "fixed." anti-lock, service vehicle soon, service engine soon, trac off always on!

It looks good.