2001 Oldsmobile Alero - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:
I wouldn't suggest it..
By wreckedher on 06/18/12 00:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

An Oldsmobile Alero was my first daily driver. It had 88K miles on it when I got it. The first thing I noticed was that the car shifted hard. Even if it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at a measly 2300RPM the car would jolt when it shifted. The second thing I noticed was that the car rode horribly. I got complaints from passengers all the time. The 3rd thing I found out is that my engine was burning 3 quarts of oil at 91K miles. The vehicle started every time I got in it without issue, but the car itself just wasn't great. It drove, rid and acted like a $1000 car. In the end I sold it for $2500 then paid it off so I could buy a $2000 car and have no payments. Haven't been happier.

LOVE THIS CAR!!
By alerolova on 06/14/12 17:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was a little worried when i saw this car in my drive way after my parents searched for something after i was in a car crash. I read a lot of reviews and found nothing but horrible reviews nightmare stories and a lot of $$ signs. so after driving it for a while something happened, the hub bar. went bad...but since i work at a dealership...i got the parts for mad cheap thank god. i replaced the shocks and im telling you the car runs like new. amazing. so then i cleaned the engine valve and the injecters...and it starts every time, no clicking...no problems at all. i love the car i love how it handles and its fast. great on gas. so hey a lil investigating goes a long way...only 500 spent. :)

Ok car
By gumbi71 on 06/10/12 16:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car used and within the first week the sunroof brackets broke, body had rust cavities in it within the first year of owning and at about 85,000 miles both windows stopped working (2 door model). Not so impressed with the design under the hood... Still gets me from point a to point b. It has helped having the knowledge to do my own work. Would not recommend this as a first car with how much get up and go mine still has and how untrustworthy it is in snow.

Not horrible, but personally would suggest one
By m3t4lm4n222 on 02/20/12 15:01 PM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had one of these cars for 7 months now. Got it at 75K miles ran pretty good, now at 86K miles and well..it's not going to well. The engine burns oil already, the transmission shifts hard and slow(Checked the fluid, it's fine) The ride in this car is well..bad. You can feel every bump, it's loud, especially on the highway, expect to have to turn the radio up. The engine is very loud, and I have the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and it's also very slow, it literally sounds and accelerates as if it had a big diesel engine in it. It averages 19 City, 25 Highway which is pretty bad for a car..especially considering it has a 4 cylinder engine...It's also not very comfortable...

Would not pick this one over again.
By jnell on 07/10/11 14:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for almost 2 years now. I bought it with around 80,000 miles on it. It now has 110,000 miles. And I would not do it again. About a month after I bought it the front wheel bearings went out. I have also had problems with the drivers side window - had to replace the motor. The head gaskets have had to be replaced and the brakes react terrible if it rains or snows. Needless to say this has not been anything like what I thought. None of the repairs have been anything close to cheap or acceptable. I would not recommend it to anyone, especially for young driver. Alero's are very questionable cars, its a 50/50 chance - you either get a good one or a very rotten lemon.

2001 Alero
By Cornholeo on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Excellent vehicle. 160K miles and less than $1500.00 maintenance expenses. Highly recommend for anyone responsible enough to own a vehicle....

Over 220,000 and still running strong
By Curt on 08/13/10 16:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I brought this car in 04 used with only 30,000 miles. Now it's 2010 with 220,458 and still running. Just minor repairs (oil change, minor tune-up, brakes & tires). I'm still shocked over how reliable this car is.

Still a good car
By GoingStrong on 06/22/10 21:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

My father paid $10,000 for the 2001 Alero with 12,000 miles for my brother and I in 2002 when we were in high school. I wasn't really crazy about it then because it seemed like EVERYONE had one but now I look back and see what a good car it was and still is. The only problem we have with it is the blinkers. They ALWAYS CLICK! It takes them a couple minutes to stop clicking even after they switch off. The car is now my brothers and he hasn't had a single problem with it since the battery died last year leaving him stranded in the mountains haha. Overall, great car for the money as long as it's taken care of.

Be Careful
By sam on 08/21/09 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it ad 59000 miles drove it until it had 85,000 miles and then it was time to sell or drive off a cliff. All the window regulators went out, the fan speed control stopped working, the breaks started to make a creeking noise. I have had 3 different mechanics tell me the engine design is terrible, it has already cost me $850 and there are still problems. They can pin point the problem to many variables. Don't buy not worth the stress.

257,000 miles and going
By 257,843 miles going on 08/02/09 01:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car at 19,543 miles. True, all cars will have problems. In the last 7 years I have had to replace head gaskets, Fuel Pump, Tie Rod Ends. Only major issues. Overall, it's an ok car. As of today it has over 250,000 miles. It's hard to believe from an Alero but YES.